The effect of perfume/cologne on your attraction level, and your preference

Seymore

I was at Dunkin Donuts this morning and this girl walks in. I barely glanced at her, as I simply didn't find her very attractive. She gets next to me in line, and her perfume just turned me on. It was almost as if the attraction level rose by a little bit just due to that. Strangely enough, it was the same perfume as my babysitter wore 20-25 years ago, at least it smelled like it. I had no attraction to my babysitter, but that particular scent just knocks my socks off. I have no idea what it is, but maybe 2-3 times a year I'll come accross a girl who wears it, so I don't think it's very popular.

I got to thinking - what if I came accross a very attractive woman and she was wearing some pungent odor or a nice perfume but way too much, would she suddenly not appear as attractive? I started wondering if perfume/cologne was a freaking science, what odor/how much possibly being the difference between someone stopping to chat or simply saying "hello" and moving on. And since we're all different, WHAT scent we choose to wear, at that!

What do you guys/girls think? And on a side note, what perfume/cologne on the opposite sex (or same sex, if applies) gets you going?

*So as not to come off as a pig, I believe the attraction from actually getting to know someone trumps both looks and scent, but this is an "at first sight" thing I'm talking about.

Of course perfume is a science - they employ top chemists and do research to figure out how to belnd scents to alter moods. I personally don't like 99% of what's out there for men or women. The only scent I like is Polo Sport for men, which is very appealing to me when mixed with the natural scent of a guy that I like (not all cologne smells the same on all men, BTW). I don't wear perfume or cologne myself, just an occasional touch of an essential oil combination, or actually I've been told by guys I've dated and at work that my anti-persperant scent turns them on (go figure? I can't even smell it).

I actually like the natural scent on a guy...considering he showers regularly..lol

certain soaps they use are usually enough for me. If I had to pisck a cologne I like it would probably be Cool Water for Men. I am not a huge perfume wearer..I prefer scented body lotions and sprays, like Vanilla. I get complimented on the scent all the time.

I forgot to take into account reaction to natural body chemistry...Cool Water seems to be "the one" when it comes to girls liking a scent on a guy. I hear that all the time.

And anti-perspirant has done it for me too, COTuner. I think 7 times out of 10 when I tell a girl she smells really good and ask what they're wearing, they say "I don't know? Deodorant?"

I forgot to take into account reaction to natural body chemistry...Cool Water seems to be "the one" when it comes to girls liking a scent on a guy. I hear that all the time.

And anti-perspirant has done it for me too, COTuner. I think 7 times out of 10 when I tell a girl she smells really good and ask what they're wearing, they say "I don't know? Deodorant?"

Haha.....

Sometimes certain shampoos people use just smell really good .

Maybe that's what you're smelling too...

I think scent has a lot to do with it for a lot of people, whether it be they like a lot or none at all.

I personally like a guy to smell but, but not go overboard. It turns me on when my bf is fresh out of the shower smelling like his body wash and shaving cream. its a great smell but still light enough to not give me headaches.

I can't stand b.o. its one thing if you are just out of the gym. but if a guy (or even girl) reeks, I wont talk to them. I can't stand to be near horrible b.o. or even high amounts of cologne or perfume, it gives me horrible headaches.

I think I remember seeing on TV or reading in a magazine once that it mostly has to to do with ones personal scent that you have regardless of perfumes or colognes, but that people are attracted to certain scents. and for some people perfumes and colognes can either enhance that or cover it up too much.

And certain scents can trigger happy chemicals to be released in the brain, and these happy chemicals can be mistaken for "attraction" or "sexual appeal"

A chemistry major I knew said it could be the fact that the scent of the anti-persperant is under the arms, where pheromones are produced, plus it's warm so the scent stays active. Quite interesting, actually.

Haha.....

Sometimes certain shampoos people use just smell really good .

Maybe that's what you're smelling too...

True also. My last BF enjoyed when I was using Shampure by Aveda. It has a great scent. Rosemary Mint is nice on guys, BTW.

I like the natural scent of a man as long as he doesn't smell yucky like some stank BO or something. But when i see an attractive guy and he smells good or has some nice cologne on, it makes me even more attracted. gross icky boy smell or bad cologne, less attracted. perhaps even turned off altogether.

I think that scents can definitely add a little bit of something when it comes to that moment of first encountering someone, but as you said -i don't think it would be significant enough to overshadow who the person is, or the overall attraction between people lol. I would love to find a nice fragrance to wear, but a lot of perfumes are too strong for me, and can make me feel a bit sick I would like for someone to take notice of my scent, though lol..if i could find a good one When it comes to guys wearing cologne, i think that wearing a little bit helps for sure, but really, as long as they smell clean, i wouldn't place too much importance on it.

Oh scent definitely is a powerful thing, no doubt about it.

And no doubt about it when I smell a man who smells good, my nose perks up, and my eyes follow.... if I like what I see as well, I get that woozy feeling. Doesn't mean I'll lose my mind or make bad decisions... but sure, my attention can be grabbed.

I tend not to like really strong colognes though... light deodorants/bodywashes/etc. Just enough to get a little hint of the "man" scent I guess haha

As for me, I don't really like anything too overly perfume-y or musky either.

I have a few I like, but my favorite and what I wear most is Love Spell by Victoria's Secret.

7 times out of 10 when I tell a girl she smells really good and ask what they're wearing, they say "I don't know? Deodorant?"

this is funny, because i realize that the scent of my deodorant is actually the only thing i can seem to tolerate; it doesn't make me feel sick at all. I wanted to find a real fragrance that smells exactly like it, lol. I guess my deodorant might be enough, then

Attraction meaning | Attraction in ...
Attraction meaning | Attraction in a Sentence | Most common words in English #shorts

Archived