My boss is a hypocrite. How dare he say something about my lunch hour!

I took an hour and half lunch today. When I am out to lunch with my boss, we take like 2 hr lunches. Yesterday, he told me to reschedule our meetings so we could leave 3 hrs early and drink. Then today, I take an hour and half lunch and he says its unexceptable? Sucks cause Im actually doing well with my numbers and performance wise. We used to be close but after this, I dont think I can be the same.

I hate to break it to you but THIS is why superiors and employees can NOT fraternize.

You are in the wrong because you are getting your PERSONAL relationship mixed up with your professional. Sorry, have to side with your boss here. Oh and...yeah, STOP having personal lunches with him!!

Hour and a half lunch breaks and get to leave 3 hours early, where do you work? Unfortunately bosses can get away with a lot more stuff than us lowly servants can. The whole month of Jan we had to work 2 hours overtime everyday. Well my boss would waltz in at 10 in the morning then leave at 4 almost everyday. It might not be fair, but most times the workplace is not in my experience.

I hate to break it to you but THIS is why superiors and employees can NOT fraternize.

You are in the wrong because you are getting your PERSONAL relationship mixed up with your professional. Sorry, have to side with your boss here. Oh and...yeah, STOP having personal lunches with him!!

Yea he says when we take lunch we talk 1/3 of the time about work and thats why its ok.

The thing is I stay 15-20 mins late sometimes and dont make it up. I want to mention this, I think I will. Or should I let it go?

I think it's probably like that in a lot of work enviornments.

The employees here get a 30 min lunch unless of course they are having a special function where the managers are involved then they usually extend their lunches to an hour maybe a bit more, but if they are just on a regular lunch break and return late then they are subject to disciplinary action.

That is just how it is.....Don't socialize with your boss.

Many in management work flex hours like I do these days. I might only be in the office 4 or 5 hours but I guarantee I am working from 5:30 in the morning until bedtime many days. I make grocery store runs, hit the gym, hit the mall, etc during workdays, but I get my work done on time or early. Lately it's a privilege that's given in lieu of higher salaries.

Are you salaried or hourly?

That can affect how the boss views how much time you take for lunch.

As a salaried employee, sometimes I will take longer time for lunch, but then stay later because of other work duties, and no one complains.

Im considered salary. Its complicated. My boss is an independent agent for an insurance company. Even tho hes the Regional Mgr hes still not a direct employee. So its like Im pretty much just working for him.

If this is the guy you posted about before....the one who you said gets real personal with you, and tells you things..and you think he might like you..be very very careful.

Sounds like he might be jealous......your taking a long lunch without HIM is infringing on HIS time. I think you are walking a VERY thin line with this guy...and you might want to keep your distance as far as being too personal. Taking personal lunches with bosses and drinking with them too ME is borderline innappropriate.

Yesterday, he told me to reschedule our meetings so we could leave 3 hrs early and drink

He sounds extremely unprofessional, and potentially slimey too.

I think you should create some distance.

If this is the guy you posted about before....the one who you said gets real personal with you, and tells you things..and you think he might like you..be very very careful.

Sounds like he might be jealous......your taking a long lunch without HIM is infringing on HIS time. I think you are walking a VERY thin line with this guy...and you might want to keep your distance as far as being too personal. Taking personal lunches with bosses and drinking with them too ME is borderline innappropriate.

I agree 100%

I think your right. I went on a lunch date with the guy Im seeing and he gave me flowers. So he made several comments about the flowers.....I was pissed about the statement so I didnt say much about it. I think like you guys said, its time to create a more professional relationship. Now, Im worried if I change too much and go strictly professional, it will also effect my job and will create tension. Its a catch 22.

Well I understand your apprehension completely. But....your personal life is none of his business. And for him to comment is completely out of line...

Don't bring it up again...if he asks you to lunch again just tell him you'd rather eat

at the office or that you have work to catch up on. You're NOT obligated to go to lunch with him...whether he's the "boss" or not. Hopefully this will all blow over and it won't be too "weird".....and I wish you the best of luck with your new guy....flowers are always sweet

I think your right. I went on a lunch date with the guy Im seeing and he gave me flowers. So he made several comments about the flowers.....I was pissed about the statement so I didnt say much about it. I think like you guys said, its time to create a more professional relationship. Now, Im worried if I change too much and go strictly professional, it will also effect my job and will create tension. Its a catch 22.

no, it's not a catch 22. your job is professional and always should be. if he creates tension, that's his own problem, not yours.

Well I understand your apprehension completely. But....your personal life is none of his business. And for him to comment is completely out of line...

Don't bring it up again...if he asks you to lunch again just tell him you'd rather eat

at the office or that you have work to catch up on. You're NOT obligated to go to lunch with him...whether he's the "boss" or not. Hopefully this will all blow over and it won't be too "weird".....and I wish you the best of luck with your new guy....flowers are always sweet

Yea, I will start doing that. Slowly and gradually making it more professional.

and yes, flowers are really sweet. Its the first time I ever got flowers from a guy that isnt my Dad. lol

Archived