Open Club  ·  21 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Does anyone live in Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete/Sarasota area?

hers

I'm looking to move down that way at the end of the summer and have some questions about it.

Basically, here are my needs:

--decent jobs (I don't need to have great corporate jobs. I'll be a receptionist at a dental office or a waitress or of couse something I'm qualified to do. I'm not picky)

--Near the beach!

--SAFE SAFE SAFE (after living in Atlanta and being scared out of my wits most of the time, this is very important)

--Decent people (nice, easy to go places I could meet friends, etc).

--Reasonably priced (rent no more than about $700 a month but cheaper is better while still being safe)

--I realize traffic is awful everywhere but somewhere with minimal traffic or where I don't have to fight to get 5 miles down the road is best.

Ideally I'd love to start my pet sitting business up again down there but that takes quite a lot of time to gain the clientele so that's why I'm ok to leave my business alone for a while.

I'd also like to meet nice people, so meetup groups, Al-Anon meetings, and cute boys are important In all seriousness though, I'd like to meet a nice guy as well.

What is better for what I'm asking for? I know Tampa is bigger than Clearwater and may have better jobs, but I also know Clearwater and St. Pete are a little cheaper but more filled with older people (so I hear). I am in love wiht Sarasota/Bradenton but I understand for jobs and meeting people, it may be harder.

Does anyone have any help to offer me? If no one is familiar with those areas, where could I post something to ask these questions? Thanks!

I live in Tampa during the school year, but I'm originally from lakeland. So, I know Tampa and Central FL pretty well.

Tampa is pretty solid. Compared to ATL, it's very safe (at least from my perspective and what I know about ATL). The only bad area that I know is about 10 minutes from my school, but even then I never run into those people.

The traffic isn't crazy as long as there aren't any accidents. If there's no accidents I can get from Tampa to Orlando in 40-45 minutes during rush hour.

Beaches and jobs...depends what you want/are looking for.

I live in Tampa during the school year, but I'm originally from lakeland. So, I know Tampa and Central FL pretty well.

Tampa is pretty solid. Compared to ATL, it's very safe (at least from my perspective and what I know about ATL). The only bad area that I know is about 10 minutes from my school, but even then I never run into those people.

The traffic isn't crazy as long as there aren't any accidents. If there's no accidents I can get from Tampa to Orlando in 40-45 minutes during rush hour.

Beaches and jobs...depends what you want/are looking for.

Thanks!

Where in Tampa is dangerous? I hear Ybor City is good in the day but not the best at night. I have heard that from lots of people. i've been there before but just for lunch so I don't know much about it.

As for jobs, I'm a pet sitter but I have a degree in English. I'm totally ok with waiting tables or being a receptionist somewhere or whatever. I'm really not picky. I'd love to work for myself again but it's hard to gain the clientele quickly, so I would have to get something in the meantime if I am even able to start my business back up.

I'd also like to go to grad school for history.

Thanks!

Where in Tampa is dangerous? I hear Ybor City is good in the day but not the best at night. I have heard that from lots of people. i've been there before but just for lunch so I don't know much about it.

As for jobs, I'm a pet sitter but I have a degree in English. I'm totally ok with waiting tables or being a receptionist somewhere or whatever. I'm really not picky. I'd love to work for myself again but it's hard to gain the clientele quickly, so I would have to get something in the meantime if I am even able to start my business back up.

I'd also like to go to grad school for history.

Ok, it's the other side of Fowler near the University mall that has some lamer-types. They just think they're tough, though. I go down there sometimes to eat at this german place with my friends and they leave you alone. There's no epic fights or crossfire or people walking up to you flashing weapons, and as long as you're not bringing wanna-be thugs with you then it's not an issue. Like I said, compared to LA or ATL they're pretty tame.

The description of Ybor is true. A lot of people go down to Ybor to party but I prefer not to because you're dealing with a lot of dumb, drunk people who sometimes act out. Not too dangerous, though...mostly just unpleasant.

There are tons of places in retail, as well as places like Beef O' Brady's, Moe's, Chili's, Olive Garden etc all near the University. There's also a pro-Copy store, and a lot of other stuff. I don't think finding a job in Tampa would be too difficult. Tons of places built next to the University and Busch Gardens and Adventure Island (2 minutes from the school), and they are always passing out summer work info cards to people between classes. I'm sure there's something you'd like in Tampa.

Housing costs will vary from everything designed to be affordable for students to higher end stuff -- all depends on what you want.

When we go to the beach, I normally go to St. Pete's beach. They have a place there that sells some killer corn dogs. Clearwater has beaches but I haven't been there often enough to talk about the area with any authority.

EDIT: Poster below me just reminded me of Channelside...pretty chill place to hang if I do say so myself.

I lived in Tampa/St. Pete clearwater for 10 years moved back up north a few years ago so I know the area very well.

If you want to be near the beach, you have to choose St. Pete or Clearwater. Tampa, itself does not have any beaches. Closes you'll get to is Bayshore Blvd. and that is just fancy homes on the bay or Channelside downtown tampa-that is also a bit expensive.

However, my first choice would be to live in Hyde Park Tampa, other than near the beach. Old Hyde Park is a great, hip area with young adults, cool bars, walking distance to bayshore blvd. Just a cute old downtown area all around and just a short drive to Channelside, Ybor City, and maybe 20 min to beach. Hyde Park is very safe, but not sure you could get a one bed for under $700-but def possible with a roommate. also access to downtown with the tampa museum, etc

St. Pete is also cute-main street and the pier are great, but not the safest of areas. It still has a lot of crime at night and would not be my first choice. Cute bars and great beach, but you don't want to walk by yourself at night.

Clearwater-cute but too touristy. Great beach, but way overcrowded wouldn't really want to live there. Too many cheesy meatmarket bars, feels like spring break all the time.

All in all Tampa is a great place to live-20 min to beach. just my opinion.

P.S. I wouldn't recommend fowler ave. it's by the university usf-not the greatest of areas. I lived there back when I was 18-22 and moved to south tampa after that. I wouldn't really want to move back up to that area unless I were at USF again (the only plus is that it is close to the university.

also the traffic isn't bad-not compared to up here in the northeast not at all. you get slow drivers and regular rush hour stuff.

Wow thanks guys! I have a friend who was born and raised in clearwater so she'll be helping me think of places too.

Hyde park sounds nice. I'll check that out!

As for beaches, as long as I'm in short driving distance (ie, not an entire day just to go to the beach for 2 hours like you do in orlando) is really what I mean. I don't expect to live on the beach but I'd like to be closer to it than I am now (I'm landlocked and I'm suffocating).

I'll ask my friend about all these areas so hopefully she can tell me what would probably be best for me!!

Keep the suggestions coming!

Here's what my friend sent me today. Let me know if you're in agreement if you know the areas she's talking about!! Thanks!

My ever-so-humble opinion is that you target the following areas:

Hyde Park

North Clearwater

West Clearwater

Dunedin

North Tampa

North St. Pete

Indian Rocks

Seminole

Largo (it's about 50/50...depends on location)

I would NOT go for the following areas:

South St. Pete (not too gre at an area)

Safety Harbor (old people)

Palm Harbor (old people - i have to drive 30+ min for anything fun)

South Tampa (not too great an area)

Gulfport (old people)

Treasure Island (as cool as it would be to have that on a return address) (TOURISTS and it shuts down in the winter)

Madeira Beach (too damn far)

Reddington Beach (too damn far)

Pinellas Park (DANGER!)

Temple Terrace (too damn far and too many highways)

• 4 weeks later...

St Petersburg is where it's at, I've found. I love Tampa, but if it weren't for my school being here and the St Pete campus not having what I need, I would be there in a heartbeat. Its BEAUTIFUL, has a lot of classy restaurants (as far as jobs go) rent is cheaper, St Pete Beach is MUCH nicer than icky Clearwater. Plus you can find cheap places that are historic to rent. Lots of character.

My boyfriend is from Largo. Its.... nice... but it seems like more of a suburban family type place. Not much to do there. I would never move there unless I wanted to settle down in the Tampa area with a family.

I used to work in Ybor City, and its a fun place but it gets a littttle crazy. We had chairs thrown through our windows, and I've been grabbed and kissed while trying to bring in chairs. There are a lot of cops around after 1am, but I wouldn't even hang around there THAT long. Channelside is okay. Good view of the bay but besides the movie theater and the aquarium there isn't a lot to do. Downtown St Pete is a fun place to be.

I agree with ProtestTheHero, though, I almost moved to Hyde Park. Its a nice place. Pretty, classy, lots of night life as well, but I'm not sure about safety.

The university/Fowler area is okay, if you're going to school here. Other than that its relatively unremarkable. Plus traffic is terrible. I used to live in a terrible area west of the university, where the rent was very cheap, and I was mistaken for a prostitute regularly. Avoid THAT area. Its terrible.

I currently live in Temple Terrace, but right in the University area. Temple Terrace is nice, quiet, woodsy, and not too expensive. Close enough to the city without being the IN the city.

Thank you sooooo much!!

My friend who lives there says to avoid downtown st pete though. I'm not sure why. I don't know If she thinks that safety is a concern or if it's not a nice place.

Nonsense! I have a good friend that lives there, and he wouldn't consider living anywhere else. I've been down there many many times, often at night, and never had a single problem. It's filled with eclectic characters, but I have yet to even be approached by anyone. In Tampa, I can't leave the house alone without getting accosted. Jannus Landing has a lot of good concerts, and so does State Theater. There's Tropicana Field as well. Its a lot of fun, and very classy. The little park area around The Pier is beautiful, and is lit up at night by lights in the trees, and it overlooks the water.

Archived