Stressed, Scared and Terrified. SHINGLES!

I TESTED THE CRAZY FOOT PEELING MAS...
I TESTED THE CRAZY FOOT PEELING MASK FOR THE FIRST TIME!

Two days ago, while I was at my new job, I felt this sore pain and itching on my stomach. I noticed when I looked at it in the restroom that it was a cluster of red bumps. I thought a spider bit me. Turns out I was wrong! The next day (TODAY) I noticed it started blistering really weird. I said "man this has to be a recluse or something"

Wrong. My sister said "this looks serious" and took me to the Hospital. They diagnosed me with shingles. They told me this is due to a very shot immune system, and stress and anxiety. I admit i've been under serious stress, financial stress, having to part ways for a few months (feels like forever ) with my little girl, living with a friend, (not my own place) also having strep and not having insurance. Sadly for me, I have this now.

I literaly spent the last dime I had on this medication. I am scared and I'm more stressed now because I have this. Has anyone else had this? I'm terrified. I keep going on the sites and seeing the information and i'm scared i'm going to get more stressed out and its going to get worse! Please help.

I had it and it hurts like a BEAST. Whatever you do, DO NOT put hot water anywhere near it or it will hurt times 1000. My son also got chicken pox from me when I had shingles...stay away from kids and pregnant women.

My dad has this from time to time it he really has a bad time with it. The pain is horrendous (according to him) and he really suffers.

He goes to his doctor and gets treatment for as long as it takes, but unfortunately I have no idea exactly what medication he gets to help him.

I can only advise you visit your doctor regularly and follow through with all medication prescribed.

Thank you guys all of you who shared this. This in it self has helped me to feel better. I am under severe stress Not being with my little one, having severe strepped throat, not eating well due to poor finances and no time due to work, its a combo and the perfect combo for this shingles mess! it hurts like a b is right! I'm trying to think of things to eat to help boost my immune system. he put me on prednisone and percoset (for pain) which I will not take until its painful enough to take, my pain tolerance is very high. I also was given something called favimir. I just want this to go away.

Oh man Miracle, I'm so sorry you're going thru this! You gave me great advice and support on my thread about the BF who gave me herpes, and from what I've learned since then is that the pain of shingles can be intensely similar. Uggg, I feel for you.

Ice packs helped me, as someone else suggested to you. 15 mins on, 15 mins off. I didn't try them, but maybe epsom salt baths might help too.

I know about how the stress of discovering something like this makes it all so much worse, so my advice is to research it hard and fast, and then let it sink in. You're obviously quite bright, so I think you'll process it quickly and get thru the shock of it asap.

I would rather have Shingles instead of a bad sun-burn any day (if that says anything).

Uh no. A bad sunburn feels ok after a few days. I have had both and Shingles hurts like a BEAST for WEEKS. I have had a 3rd degree burn to my hand where you could see the muscles under my skin and that was not too bad after too long. Shingles can last for WEEKS. People have even killed themself from the pain. Sunburn.....not that bad in my estimation.

Oh man Miracle, I'm so sorry you're going thru this! You gave me great advice and support on my thread about the BF who gave me herpes, and from what I've learned since then is that the pain of shingles can be intensely similar. Uggg, I feel for you.

Ice packs helped me, as someone else suggested to you. 15 mins on, 15 mins off. I didn't try them, but maybe epsom salt baths might help too.

I know about how the stress of discovering something like this makes it all so much worse, so my advice is to research it hard and fast, and then let it sink in. You're obviously quite bright, so I think you'll process it quickly and get thru the shock of it asap.

Thank you for that. It meant a lot to me that you are trying to help me as well. I have had some hard times and i've been very stressed plus i'm sad withoutmy little girl and finances. Yes this is so darn painful. I thought it was a spider bite. I can't wait to learn more so I can heal!

i'm really depressed without her but I'm actually very happy she is not around me during this time because I just read that shingles can give CHILDREN Chickenpox! nuts right?

Uh no. A bad sunburn feels ok after a few days. I have had both and Shingles hurts like a BEAST for WEEKS. I have had a 3rd degree burn to my hand where you could see the muscles under my skin and that was not too bad after too long. Shingles can last for WEEKS. People have even killed themself from the pain. Sunburn.....not that bad in my estimation.

Ummm, yes. Pain is easier for me to handle than itch. I can handle pain with easy results, but throw me a "healing sun burn" that itches worse than a case of Crabs, and I'm SOL; houses get burnt down, people riot, World War 3 erupts and American Idol continues for another season.

Thank you for that. It meant a lot to me that you are trying to help me as well. I have had some hard times and i've been very stressed plus i'm sad withoutmy little girl and finances. Yes this is so darn painful. I thought it was a spider bite. I can't wait to learn more so I can heal!

i'm really depressed without her but I'm actually very happy she is not around me during this time because I just read that shingles can give CHILDREN Chickenpox! nuts right?

Yup, that is how my son got it. He was covered in about 100 spots poor kid.It was even on his scalp and everything and he ended up even scratching some of his hair off.

Ummm, yes. Pain is easier for me to handle than itch. I can handle pain with easy results, but throw me a "healing sun burn" that itches worse than a case of Crabs, and I'm SOL; houses get burnt down, people riot, World War 3 erupts and American Idol continues for another season.

Well it pains AND itches. Give it a try.........lol My was so itchy I scratched it till blood poured out.

To the OP, thank goodness you went to have it looked at. I only went after I was already healing and my son was infected. Apparently I am retarded because I put up with whatever pain or illness for ages before seeking care even when it is free. In my family it is rather "pansy" to seek medical care, so it is my habit. Thank God you are brighter than me.........LOL

It's weird how blessings in life do come in disguises... how long will your little girl be away? Is there a time period when shingles might still be present, but they are no longer contagious to kids? (In case you have it for many weeks? Not to add stressful thoughts on top of all your other stresses.... HA!

Yeah, you had a spiderbite, I had an ingrown hair..... f-ing sucks.

Wolf THANK YOU so much for responding to my post..but I got to call you out buddy, there is no way in hell that a sun burn (and i've had a severe one before) can equal to the pain of this. Imagine a bed of fire ants bitting most of your stomach and they just keep biting until three to four weeks later...you tell me than...how fast you'd take ol sun burny!

Trust me..as the "wonder pets would say" this is serious!

It's weird how blessings in life do come in disguises... how long will your little girl be away? Is there a time period when shingles might still be present, but they are no longer contagious to kids? (In case you have it for many weeks? Not to add stressful thoughts on top of all your other stresses.... HA!

Yeah, you had a spiderbite, I had an ingrown hair..... f-ing sucks.

Yup damn spider bits, and ingrown hairs getya every time. when I got the clap from that crazy guy I told you about..I thought I had just a fever and a UTI..yeah no sale!

Wolf THANK YOU so much for responding to my post..but I got to call you out buddy, there is no way in hell that a sun burn (and i've had a severe one before) can equal to the pain of this. Imagine a bed of fire ants bitting most of your stomach and they just keep biting until three to four weeks later...you tell me than...how fast you'd take ol sun burny!

Trust me..as the "wonder pets would say" this is serious!

Oh YEAH you got THAT right. It feels like fire ants biting 24/7 for WEEKS. NASTY.

Hm, let's see..........I don't know my life has been pretty high stress since I was 14. Let's see my son was about 5 or so, so that could have been about the time my husband had a nervous breakdown and was in hospital locked in for a month. I do not remember the exact time period, but it could have been then. I know stress plays a major factor in turning the virus back "on".

Hm, let's see..........I don't know my life has been pretty high stress since I was 14. Let's see my son was about 5 or so, so that could have been about the time my husband had a nervous breakdown and was in hospital locked in for a month. I do not remember the exact time period, but it could have been then. I know stress plays a major factor in turning the virus back "on".

I have not taken my pain medication because I was thinking that I was already at the worst pain. Now im reading the pain gets worse as the blisters go down? Is this true? Whats your take on the pain medication? Is this a must. Does this get worse as the days go by?

I remember it was painful until it ALL cleared and healed compelety. Unfortunately I stratched and they were open and oozing and REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY painful. As you know we women put up with a lot. Having babies etc. I get migraines too and that made me want to bang my head on the floor having Shingles. I took nothing cause I never went to the dr until they were almost healed. Personally I think people heal faster and more effectively when they are not in pain. Maybe take a bit less than what they say. You might have a high pain tolerance like me. I have done most things without pain medication, surgeries etc. Take some to take the edge off so you can get proper sleep, you will get better faster. Watch it though you do not get addicted to pain meds.

I remember it was painful until it ALL cleared and healed compelety. Unfortunately I stratched and they were open and oozing and REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY painful. As you know we women put up with a lot. Having babies etc. I get migraines too and that made me want to bang my head on the floor having Shingles. I took nothing cause I never went to the dr until they were almost healed. Personally I think people heal faster and more effectively when they are not in pain. Maybe take a bit less than what they say. You might have a high pain tolerance like me. I have done most things without pain medication, surgeries etc. Take some to take the edge off so you can get proper sleep, you will get better faster. Watch it though you do not get addicted to pain meds.

Thank you Victoria for taking the time to help me with this. I appreciate you sharing. Yeah I'm a very steady person when it comes to pain meds. I dn't get addicted. Sadly I tried to smoke marijuanna when I was 18 or so and that didn't work either. I may have a non addiction gene or something. I took Percocet before and I just wanted to be healed and get off of it. Made me feel very light and weird. I like being normal not light and floaty ya know?

My blisters are only one day old. How bad befor they burst? I guess i'm just trying to make sure the worst is not yet to come.

I do have a very high tolerence for pain. I had a C-section and they told me "don't walk for four days" I was in pain, but I was walking in two days. I didn't even use my pain meds all the time. Only the one for the healing but not every time they suggested. I have two sisters too. My sisters also have very high tolerence for pain. One of them... refused her epidural (not me i'm not that high on the pain tolerence scale) and she has broken fingers and still didn't go to the doctor. She fixed her own finger taping two pieces of wood to her finger and suffered through it.

I'm worried about this. I just want to get better.

Archived