How to control your emotions?

Anusha

I always have been a very emotional person,I just fell my emotions so intense that sometimes I just cant hold them.Every time my rational side points to one way and my emotional side to another,the emotional side always win.But sometimes my emotional side doesnt take me to what is best for me.So how can I control it?

It's called immaturity...grow up.

Little kids have temper tantrums...adults when they 'lose control' do pretty much the same. very unattractive, and if done enough...a dealbreaker for any mature man.

We all have emotions, not just women, but it's how we handle them, how we communicate them, how we make them not self-defeating that will help resolve them.

There's really no excuse for it if you're an adult...get a grip on them, before they destroy future relationships.

pretty black and white

It's called immaturity...grow up.

Little kids have temper tantrums...adults when they 'lose control' do pretty much the same. very unattractive, and if done enough...a dealbreaker for any mature man.

We all have emotions, not just women, but it's how we handle them, how we communicate them, how we make them not self-defeating that will help resolve them.

There's really no excuse for it if you're an adult...get a grip on them, before they destroy future relationships.

pretty black and white

Actually, it is not black and white. There are different ways to be emotional, not all of them are temper tantrums and immaturity. I don't know of very many people who have never gotten emotional in some way when pushed to the brink. Also, some people do not get emotional but act out their anger in subtle passive aggressive ways so that they can give off the appearance of being in control.

Have you tried reading anything about bpd?

A close friend of mine is bpd, and from reading some of your posts it sounds like you might have some of the problems that she does. Bpd can make it really hard to control your emotions, also it can make you more willing to hang on to a bad relationship, or get too emotionally invested in people, and rely on relationships for all of your self-esteem.

It's not the worst thing in the world and there's treatments for it, she gets some medication and does therapy, which has seemed to really help her.

Even if you don't have it, link removed has some good links that talk about finding ways to control your emotions, how to deal with them instead of acting on them...basically how to use your head and not your heart, so that you can protect yourself better.

Hope that's helpful to you. I'm not bpd but I've found some useful things reading that site. There's nothing wrong with being very emotional; everyone has weird feelings or strong ones. You need to learn to take care of yourself, though, no matter how bad you feel.

Thank you I dont think I have bpd anyway I will take a look on the site.I just fell my emotions are so strong as is like when they push me to do something is so hard to control.Like for example when I know is wrong and that I shouldnt be chasing people but my emotions seems to push me to hard to do it that I end up doing.

Thank you I dont think I have bpd anyway I will take a look on the site.I just fell my emotions are so strong as is like when they push me to do something is so hard to control.Like for example when I know is wrong and that I shouldnt be chasing people but my emotions seems to push me to hard to do it that I end up doing.

I know what you're saying, totally. I don't cut or hurt myself physically at all, but sometimes I find myself getting involved (trying to contact) people who are harmful to me. This in itself is a form of self-harm; it's just getting someone else to do the work for you, kind of.

link removed

That page gives some steps you can take when emotions are overwhelming, things you can try instead of doing something harmful to yourself (whether it's physical pain or emotional, like calling an ex, or losing your dignity in some way...) it's just things you can do to deal with emotions that feel overwhelming. It's helped me a lot in the past.

I hope you start to feel better, I've read some of your posts and think you must have a lot of caring in your nature to feel the way you do, a lot of kindness. I hope you can see that and find someone who'll appreciate that part of you

How Not To Be Controlling In A Rela...
How Not To Be Controlling In A Relationship

Archived