Blatants Discrimination At my Local Lane Bryant Store

miracle29
FEMME LUXE TRY ON HAUL! SIZE 12/14!...
FEMME LUXE TRY ON HAUL! SIZE 12/14! #femmeluxe

I am a very small woman now. I understand that its obvious that someone wearing a size 7 would not be going into a Lane Bryant Store to shop for themselves...however. A friend and I went into our Local LB to find her Mother an outfit for Mothers day. Her Mother is a Gorgeous full figured woman. I have never seen her as anything but beautiful. I also don't discriminate against race, religion or weight.

My friend and I walk into LB and we were not greeted, we were not asked if we needed help, we were literally given the worst Customer Service I have ever had or seen in my life.

The manager looked at me and my friend and rolled her eyes at us. She than exchanged looks with her co-worker and said something under her breath and the co-worker snickers and rolls her eyes.

I asked for help and she completely looked like it was killing her to help me. My friend placed two items on the sales cash register area and the lady starts throwing her things in the bag very rudely and huffing. She said two snide remarks about my weight and I was Irate. First comment was..."is this for you because you are you and expect to blow up 9 sizes"? The second one was..."Is this to cover your couch". I said "what is your problem lady?" and she said "You and your friend have enough stores so go find the skinny * * * * * s store and get hell out of ours!!".

My mouth dropped four floors. I felt like I was dreaming!

My friend turned red and I was waiting for her to say "just kiddin" she was serious!

She than said some other things and we left the store...because my friend was so upset she wanted to slap the lady and I stated "she is ignorant and not worth it" and we left. I could not believe this.

What should I do?

You went up to the counter, put some garments down that you were buying and the saleswoman's response was "Get the hell out of my shop, you are too skinny to shop here."

Actually my friend did. The lady insulted the two of us. I have never been through this. In addition..I have never EVER done this to a full figured person! I don't think its ok on either end!

Unbelievable. Report their behavior to thier superiors.

Absolutely. And I certainly hope neither one of them was in a supervisory position themselves, as I am certain Lane Bryant frowns on this behavior.

I guarantee it will not be tolerated.

I'd like to see how she'd feel if she suddenly lost weight and got objectified for her body or called a "skinny b****"

Because chances are if she gets harassed at all for her figure now she certainly doesn't stop to think that NOBODY likes how it feels, no matter what size they are.

Absolutely. And I certainly hope neither one of them was in a supervisory position themselves, as I am certain Lane Bryant frowns on this behavior.

I guarantee it will not be tolerated.

I'd like to see how she'd feel if she suddenly lost weight and got objectified for her body or called a "skinny b****"

Because chances are if she gets harassed at all for her figure now she certainly doesn't stop to think that NOBODY likes how it feels, no matter what size they are.

The Blond Hair woman was actually the Store Manger I'm finding out! The other younger woman is a sales associate. I can't believe this!

I would chew someone out if it went either way. If you are thin picking at a full figured woman I'd chew you out if you were my employee too! I don't like this on either side!

I called the 1-866-886-4731 which is a Lane Bryant office number. I spoke with someone who took the complaint and she assured me that this is NEVER the type of Customer Service LB teaches their Associates or managers to provide. She also apologized profusely and said she will send it to the top person. I'm hoping she does.

I called the 1-866-886-4731 which is a Lane Bryant office number. I spoke with someone who took the complaint and she assured me that this is NEVER the type of Customer Service LB teaches their Associates or managers to provide. She also apologized profusely and said she will send it to the top person. I'm hoping she does.

Good for you! I hope so too.

thats outrageous.

i would contact the head depatment and complain.

For me i prefer if im not instantly asked can i be helped from a shop assistant.. im like 'let me at least walk in the door and look!' but how this lady can speak like that is unbelieably rude..

may i ask, was this lady..on the particular large side?

i really would report this to the head office...

hi -- i am sorry this happened to you. it is unacceptable and rude. i am glad you called and registered a complaint.

just to play devil's advocate though.... as a plus sized woman, i have had similar things happen to me when i've been shopping in stores for "normal sized" people. sales people have made nasty comments that there would be nothing in their store for me. perhaps those workers have had similar experiences, too. although it still doesn't excuse their behavior.

body image issues sure have screwed up a lot of women, huh?

i hope you have a nicer shopping trip next time!

There are just rude and ignorant people everywhere. I'm sure the company wants nothing to do with that kind of behavior and those people will certainly be investigated.

There was a video on YouTube recently where some idiot Pizza Hut or Dominos (can't remember) people filmed themselves doing incredibly gross things to the food they served their customers and making jokes about it, then they posted it on YouTube... they tracked the people down, fired them, and now they are being charged with a crime for tampering with the food.

I doubt what the sales ladies did was illegal, but it certainly was rude, and i'm sure they will be disciplined at a minimum, and fired if they can prove they did it or do it again.

Some "big" people have "issues" with smaller/skinnier people. Remember they've been on the receving end of a lot of snide comments I'm guessing so they want to get their own back.

Still bad behavior though for sure. Not warrented. I'd complain - who needs that - plus the recession and all. Time to be nice to paying customers.

I can understand the having issues bit I guess, because we certainly do live in a society where there things are horribly imblanced and there is a lot of pressure to be thin, or fit into certain molds... but still... being nasty to each other won't solve your own personal issues, nor will it fix societal standards.... and I'm guessing in this case it won't help her keep her job.

I've been on both sides of the fence. I'm on the slender side currently, but my weight has fluctuated a bit in the past with different medications. How utterly horrible for someone to decide anything about someone based on something as changeable as weight. Curvy girl or skinny twig... same person.

This sounds good at least. You might try getting a name and address for a district or regional manager (someone who works directly above this woman in this case) so you can write them a letter. Not sure how their channels work, but letters, especially if they make it to the right hands, are often taken seriously.

Archived