cut through the crap of that and you find this:

"So, are we seeing this with the reassortant swine H1N1 virus, or should we expect to find that it causes this? Is this why reportedly many of the deaths to date are in the "young and healthy"? Right now, we simply don't know."

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some interesting official data, directly from the WHO website. This is current as of today, right now, and includes only laboratory confirmed (H1N1) cases of swine influenza.

link removed

97 confirmed swine flu cases from Mexico, 7 deaths. 109 confirmed cases in the US, one death (toddler from Mexico). Of all the other reporting countries reporting confirmed cases, there are no deaths.

This is still considered rapidly evolving, however it does seem somewhat inflated in the media does it not? Hmm.

8 out of 257 people. Out of about 305 million people.. there are 97 cases.

wooo. panic.

as for the toddler....

"with the cause of death given as pneumonia caused by the flu virus."

so not the virus itself. just the side effects in an infant who actually wasnt contageous....

they say pork doesnt spread it. pork is safe. but pigs are being massacred in other countries.

panic panic panic.

i'd also like to add this about the regular flu

"As of June 14, 2008, 83 deaths in children occurring during the 2007-08 season have been reported to CDC"

No one panicked then did they? no one was going ape crap over face masks when it killed 83 kids last year. but a 'swine' flu kills one infant and we freak.

06-07 a total of 76 deaths were reported.

03-04 153 children died of the 'regular' flu!

now that number is actually higher in reality becuase adult related flu deaths and some children related arent usually reported.

link removed

but let me read on from OFFICIAL statistics given by the CDC. those 83 deaths were only recorded in 33 states, not even the whole country.

and to add this:

"During the 2007--08 influenza season, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) exceeded the epidemic threshold†† for 8 consecutive weeks in the 122 Cities Mortality Reporting System during the weeks ending January 12--May 17, 2008 (weeks 9--16). The percentage of P&I deaths peaked at 9.1% during the week ending March 15, 2008 (week 11). During the previous three influenza seasons, the peak percentage of P&I deaths has ranged from 7.7% to 8.9% and the total number of weeks the P&I ratio exceeded the epidemic threshold has ranged from one to 11. The P&I baseline and epidemic threshold values are projected for each season at the onset of that season and are based on data from the previous five years. The robust regression model used to calculate the 122 Cities Mortality Reporting System baseline and epidemic threshold values was recently modified. This new methodology better takes into account shifts in the long term trends of the 122 Cities data, and will be used in the upcoming 2008-09 influenza season to project the baseline and epidemic threshold values."

why was there no outcry when we were repetedly surpassing 'epidemic' last year?

this year alone the standard north american flu has killed well over 24 people. the reports for some reason are no longer loading on my computer, but out of the few i saw an average of 4-8 children died each week when the flu season started to pick up. and steadily increased.

Yep, at this point it's way overblown. Not saying that pandemics aren't real and that one will never come. But if and when one does thats just the way it goes. It's nature balancing itself out. Bullets can't stop it, rockets can't stop it, nor can the news or a mask or some supersludge industrial antidote. Living comes with risk. Everyone's gotta go sometime. I'm sure this is not one of those times. Gotta keep people afraid. Gotta stimulate that economy.

The CDC. It is a very well quoted number.

Here is but one of a 1000 links that quote it,

link removed

You see what you people that are saying governments are over-reacting do not understand is 3 things,

• This is a new strain so there is no immunity in the global population,
  • This strain is aggressively virulent. It explodes.
  • The flu kills

It is already a pandemic (not that that is a difficult hurdle to jump to be classifed as such). But if health authorities just sat back and did nothing, a new flu has the capacity to infect millions and millions of people within a two or 3 week period. Even if this was just a run of the mill flu we had seen before there would be 1000s of deaths.

Because this flu seems to have the potential to kill people that flus do not normally kill (healthy aged 2 - 65) then the outcomes of mass infection could be disastorous.

Now it may well be that this flu kills no one else. But that does not mean that the governements of the world should not take appropriate action and take appropriate steps. Because one day, the flu virus will again find a way to mutate into a killing machine and until a lot of research is done you just never know which strain is going to do that.

Yes there may be pockets of unwarranted panic by the media and cetain communities but the authorities themselves are taking totally appropriate action.

i dont understand why the CDC would provide two completely different sets of statistics then.

either way... i would like to know why the swine flu didnt fly very far in 1976. since there was no real viable vaccine to protect against it.

i dont understand why the CDC would provide two completely different sets of statistics then.

either way... i would like to know why the swine flu didnt fly very far in 1976. since there was no real viable vaccine to protect against it.

My guess is that people travelled less back then.

They don't. You are just reading them wrong. The CDC actually states 63,000 deaths but 27,000 are as a result of flu/pnuemonia.

i would like to know why the swine flu didnt fly very far in 1976.

Because it wasn't as virulent. This strain is described as explosive, that is it jumps and spreads super fast. Flu viruses mutate, sometimes within weeks. What the virus looked like in 1976 means little to what it may look like now.

really not understanding how i am reading this wrong...

How many children have died from flu-associated complications during previous flu seasons?

*During the 2003-04 season, 153 flu-associated deaths in children were reported to CDC. (This data was collected by CDC.)

*During the 2004-05 season, 47 deaths in children were reported to CDC. (This is the first year that influenza mortality in children became a nationally reportable condition.)

*During the 2005-06 season, 46 deaths in children were reported to CDC.

*During the 2006-07 season, 76 deaths in children were reported to CDC.

*As of June 14, 2008, 83 deaths in children occurring during the 2007-08 season have been reported to CDC

*During the 2003-04 season, 153 flu-associated deaths in children were reported to CDC. (This data was collected by CDC.)

*During the 2004-05 season, 47 deaths in children were reported to CDC. (This is the first year that influenza mortality in children became a nationally reportable condition.)

*During the 2005-06 season, 46 deaths in children were reported to CDC.

*During the 2006-07 season, 76 deaths in children were reported to CDC.

*As of June 14, 2008, 83 deaths in children occurring during the 2007-08 season have been reported to CDC

That is only children in a particular season.

Archived