Neurotic behaviors help

So, i suffer from anxiety with physical manifestations of nervousness.

I bit my nails compulsively, i used to be worse like bloddy stubs bad, but though ive gotten better i still cant stop.

About a year ago i had an itch on my eye brow so i pulled a eyebrow hair out, i didnt pluck it but it didnt fall out.

Now thats turned into a nervous compulsion... When i get stressed ill start doing it, and if i let myself continue soon enough it becomes noticeable that there is a huge patch of eyebrow or eyelash hair missing.

Its pretty annoying, and i can stop my self temporarily most of the time but i cant kick these habits for more than like 3 days.

Any help?

From everything I've heard/read about these types of behavior habits, the best advice I can give is to find another habit which isn't detrimental to switch over to. Pen tapping, flipping, some type of small object manipulation with the hands like quarter twirling, etc. After the habit is switched over you can try meditation to relax the mind.

Have you ever tried anti-anxiety medication? Some people with nail biting and Trichotillomania (hair pulling ) have good results with medication.

Cognitive bahavioral therapy techiques can also help.

I have always been a nail biter. 9 out of 10 times I don't even realize I am doing it- it sort of happens when I am in autopilot mode watching TV, etc. What works for me is to simply wear acrylic nails and trim any cuticle skin as soon as it peels (A lot of nail biting has to do with perfection of rough edges). But of course, you are a guy so the fake nail solution won't help you.

I cant afford to do either right now unfortunately, my insurance switched and id have to pay 600 dollar deductible to see a psych. Ya the autopilot is what gets me to, ill just be deep in thought about whatever then oh crap what am i doing.

As for habits i do am trying those. Its something that i dont believe i do in public but who knows, like i said ive become alot better at restraining myself... but when im in public i pen twirl, i wear a surgical ring for so i can just keep my mind on something ect, i guess ill just take it in slow steps.

Archived