What is a good answer for this question?

What is a good reasonable answer for this question?

"Why are you considering new employment opportunities?"

My answer: I'm looking for new employment opportunities to move on with my life so I can make a living. To be able to grow and succeed with a company.

some answers....

-I'm looking for a challenge.

-I want to expand on what I've learned in previous employment.

-Your company interests me because of xxx.

-I think I have reached my full potential in the company i'm currently / most recently worked in and your company offers new challenges and more room to grow.

-I got fired/ shagged the boss/ beat up a former employee/stole money fromt he company social fund etc etc

In today's economy, you could always say because your current organization is about to go *belly-up.

*I tried a different expression but it got red dotted...

**Also, you probably shouldn't say that...in case my humour was lost on you

A good answer is one that is not generic. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard "I want a new challenge", or "My present position doesn't offer enough opportunities" etc., and not once I have found it an interesting or convincing answer. As an employer, I want to know why you want THIS particular job. All of the generic answers just scream "I want any job, I don't particularly care about this job, I've applied for three million others; I'm just looking for a way out of my present position as fast as possible", which isn't exactly encouraging for an employer to hear.

Archived