Obsessive worry. Help!

xRoh
Do You Need Reassurance? Stop It Li...
Do You Need Reassurance? Stop It Like This

For a long time now I've been having obsessive thoughts about a loved one dying. It's really affecting me but I just can't control it. If anyone is late home, or doesn't reply to my texts/calls right away, I worry that something terrible has happened. I'm in a sortof-LDR with someone (we see eachother every weekend) and every day I worry about him getting into an accident because he walks to and from work.

I don't know how to deal with these thoughts. It's driving me crazy. It's 10PM and my boyfriend has not logged onto MSN yet. I've texted him but no reply. I'm freaking out

How do I stop thinking so negatively??

This is a situation in which you really would benefit from professional counselling. I don't know what your life situation is, but if you're in university, they will have a free counselling service that you could use; otherwise you can find many non-free professional counselling services available (but choose carefully, and don't be afraid to ask for a reduced-price taster session first), or alternatively see your GP, explain the situation and ask to see a counsellor (but that will involve a significant wait). This probably isn't something you can just wish away on your own through force of will; specific techniques and external support from someone who knows what they're doing can really make the difference in a situation like this.

No I haven't. I've figured that it must be some sort of anxiety disorder, but I'm a little embarrassed talking about it to the doctor.

Heh, literally 5 minutes ago, my boyfriend logs in. He had a BBQ with his housemates. I feel really stupid now. No doubt I will be having the same thoughts when he goes to London tomorrow.

No I haven't. I've figured that it must be some sort of anxiety disorder, but I'm a little embarrassed talking about it to the doctor.

Heh, literally 5 minutes ago, my boyfriend logs in. He had a BBQ with his housemates. I feel really stupid now. No doubt I will be having the same thoughts when he goes to London tomorrow.

OCD is very common and nothing to be ashamed of.....

Hiya, definitely think you are suffering from Anxiety! I have had the same kind of thoughts as you, and this is where ocd comes in also. On numerous occasions i have been late for work because although i knew i had turned the iron off i always had to go back home and check. You really need to talk to your doctor about your fears and feelings. I am currently on medication and it has definitely helped.

Its not that you are thinking negatively, you are anxious and this can be helped, wether through medication or counselling. Hope this helps. x

I have this too, and it's a hard habit to break. I even manage to give myself abnormal heart palpitations from worrying so much. My therapist says that I need to realise that I can't control anything but my own actions so there's no point in worrying about things I can't control. I just keep saying over and over "Don't worry about what is out of my control."

I'd talk to a counselor or a doctor. They will know how to help, with treatment, medication, etc. (you may find that simply talking about it and letting loose your fears into the open helps enough). For me, writing about my fears and talking to my counselor helps me feel better about it. You shouldn't feel ashamed or silly for your thoughts; they are very real, very serious, and very debilitating. It is a very serious matter that you should look into as soon as possible. Good luck!

Archived