Open Club  ·  21 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Must do things in Italy

jessijess

Depending on time of year, the Palio is a must see. I forget when that takes place in Siena, exactly.

Best way to experience everyday life is to get outside the tourist areas and observe / participate, although be careful of crime.

Yeah, the Siena Palio (which take place in July and August IIRC) are well worth seeing. In fact, Siena more generally is worth seeing.

As to other things, it really depends on where in Italy you are going. If you're going to Venice, for example, then a wander all around the back streets and minor canals of the city is well worth while; it's beautifully tranquil. Or if you are in Tuscany a visit to a small vineyard is rewarding, or staying in a country villa for a night or two and enjoying some local walks.

The two must see places in Italy are Sienna and Firenze. When one visits these towns the age old buildings and art from the Renaissance and such is clearly visible. Firenze has a little more tourists, but the beautiful buildings and sculptures make it the best place to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Firenze...beautiful city, great art, fashion, food and its great because its a small town feel but still a city with lots to do. also if you head north go to lake como. its a beautiful lake with some quaint towns surrounding it. i believe its at the end of the alps so its really scenic and you can ride around in a paddle boat or take a cruise around the lake and its really peaceful and nice. also the towns have some nice shops, churches and restaurants to explore.

I'll be traveling to Italy in a few weeks and was wondering what not-so-touristy things I should experience. I'll be going to the Colusseum, Pompeii, the Vatican and all that but was wondering more about local everyday life.

Pompeii isn't in Rome - it's quite a distance away near Naples. If you are going to Pompeii, if you can manage it, the climb up Mount Vesuvius is worth it for the views. We also went to Herculaneum which is nearby and well worth a visit as it's much less touristy than Pompeii, smaller and better preserved.

I love going to Italy for the fantastic food and drink. Try and eat where the locals do and try something other than pizza. When the hotel we stayed at in Sicily only provided coffee and croissants for breakfast we went accross the square to a cafe and discovered gorgeous pastries including buns stuffed with custard and ricotta. Yummy! If you go to Venice, try the local sparkling wine called Prosecco (much better than Champagne) something that the book Miss Garnet's Angel by Sally Vickers encouraged me to do so.

You don't say what your itinerary is and how long you are going for. There's nothing wrong with seeing the sights. Just wonder round and really look at things around you. Don't have your nose stuck in a guide book, or looking through a camera lens all the time. See what's round the corner. Talk to people.

Archived