How can I overcome co-dependence?

Raistlin

This is an honest question for me, and not something I like to admit. However, I've recently decided that I'm not going to even try to date for a while to overcome some mental issues and win some battles that need to be fought.

Thinking about who I am and my upbringing lead me to conclude that I am extremely co-dependent.

• I've always felt that I need someone around at almost all times.
  • I get anxious when I leave a friends house, or they leave.
  • It's much harder for me to be alone a lot of times, because I often wish that I had company
  • When I had a relationship, I felt wrong if I wasn't able to see my SO for any period of time longer than a day.

There are many other signs I've noticed, but these are just some of the bigger ones.

I have moved out of my parents house before, but I always had a roommate and/or my ex-gf. The thought of living truly alone, in a one bedroom without a gf absolutely terrifies me. Even as an adult, I hate being alone for long periods of time (as in more than 4 hours or so, unless I'm asleep).

Does anyone have any advice on breaking co-dependency?

This is an honest question for me, and not something I like to admit. However, I've recently decided that I'm not going to even try to date for a while to overcome some mental issues and win some battles that need to be fought.

Thinking about who I am and my upbringing lead me to conclude that I am extremely co-dependent.

• I've always felt that I need someone around at almost all times.
  • I get anxious when I leave a friends house, or they leave.
  • It's much harder for me to be alone a lot of times, because I often wish that I had company
  • When I had a relationship, I felt wrong if I wasn't able to see my SO for any period of time longer than a day.

There are many other signs I've noticed, but these are just some of the bigger ones.

I have moved out of my parents house before, but I always had a roommate and/or my ex-gf. The thought of living truly alone, in a one bedroom without a gf absolutely terrifies me. Even as an adult, I hate being alone for long periods of time (as in more than 4 hours or so, unless I'm asleep).

Does anyone have any advice on breaking co-dependency?

All I know is there are a LOT of books out there that you may find helpful.

Good luck.

Agreed. Doing some reading up on the subject couldn't hurt. Maintaining healthy friendships and having hobbies to do when you're alone are good too.

All I know is there are a LOT of books out there that you may find helpful.

Good luck.

Agreed. Doing some reading up on the subject couldn't hurt. Maintaining healthy friendships and having hobbies to do when you're alone are good too.

i have this issue as well to some degree, ill let u know when i figure it out! I guess its really about trying to change the behavior instilled in you all these years. Do things you normally wouldnt, on your own, become an individual. Meet some new people. I guess you have to create a single life and be happy by yourself before being able to be happy and loving in a relationship. i hope my next relationship will be where we both have lives outside of each other, so creating your own now might help! Love yourself, do more things on your own!

Archived