Trouble Sleeping...lost motivation

WomanWriter

This is a time in my life when things are really bad for me.

My best friend/fiance/partner of over 7 years left me 3 months ago. I grieved but managed to stay afloat and not really get depressed. But I was also laid off and am currently on Unemployment. I am living at home with my mom and sometimes with my dad at his place and my life has become unstable.

The last 3 months, I have been making goals for myself and following them. I've been looking for jobs every day, changing my eating habits, and becoming closer to God. I have been praying and reading the Bible for comfort too but the effects are starting to wear off and I'm starting to feel unworthy, like God is not on my side.

I haven't heard from my ex, who wants to move on with his life and find himself, and now I'm burned out. I just paid off my college loan and completed a class and am tired of looking for jobs, going on interviews, etc. etc. with no success in sight!

I've been reading self help books, talking on here in the relationship support forum (which has been great), and trying hard to stay busy. But it's starting to stop its effects!

My life is starting to drag on but I'm not ready for dating as I still love my ex and am afraid to go out and meet new guys. My best female friend and I are drifting apart and I feel distant from my family, though they are supporting me. I have to put up with some uncomfortable surroundings for the sake of financial security for right now. My dad smokes and drinks heavily and is difficult to be around but I don't want to hurt his feelings. He's getting old and I feel a need to visit him and help him out like he's helping me. But my life is passing me by and I'm so scared.

I'm 28 years old, unemployed, living at home, and now my fiance and future are gone. I had a good job in a good field that is no longer. I have goals but I'm too depressed to work on them as I have been trying to do for the past 3 months with little success to show for!

Just this week I've been trying to change my sleep schedule but can't do it. I've been taking doctor-prescribed Ambien but it won't work. I just lie in bed with my mind racing. I've tried to focus on my breathing but I can't do it for very long. I toss and turn all night. Then I sleep in really late and feel groggy from the medication.

What can I do? I feel like I need a vacation and new surroundings, new people, but I don't have much money...so what in the world can I do?

I am sorry you are going through this. Whatever you do, don't give up.

Continue to work on your goals and try to set yourself some new ones and use them to keep you going.

If there is anything you want to do in life then go for it.

Maybe you could also talk to your doctor ASAP and explain the the medication isn't working and ask him to prescribe something else. I was prescribed tamazipam because I couldn't sleep at all and they worked very well. I was only allowed to take them for 2 weeks but it seemed to make a difference to my sleeping pattern.

It is a hard time right now but it will pass eventually.

Hey!! I'm going through a somewhat similar situation so I can relate so much to what you're going through. I've lost my job and my ex and I can understand the stress and anxiety that you feel at the moment.

I'm sorry if I'm not much help but just to let you know that our lives often go through storms but they don't last forever. These things happen to us to make us stronger and grow as individuals. You have to believe that. Know that one day you will look at this and laugh. You will get that job that you desire, the life that you want and even possibly a new relationship that will blossom into something beautiful. Just have hope!

If you haven't already, look into meditation and exercising as outlets to relieve stress.. they help a lot! They may even help with your sleeping and to help you feel better!

WW....you are certainly not alone. It's 3am in Orlando, just saw your message and I can't sleep either. I burnt myself out fighting this, staying strong (not just for me but in the other parts of life and the people in it too) and now my mind is racing and my feelings/anxiety driving me up the wall.

All I can say is that MsLady has is right in my opinion, just have to retain hope in that things will improve once you weather the storm.

Archived