Now I'm becoming a "confused job seeker" because...

Employers are still asking me in the MONTH OF APRIL, "are you working?"

I applied to a job yesterday and they called me back today to schedule a interview for tomorrow morning. It states on the first page of my resume that my most recent job was from July 2005 to January 2009. So why did the person who called me to schedule a interview ask me this question? It made me stumble a little on the phone because I wasn't expecting that question. I really don't know what else to do to stop being asked that question. I mean is the resume that impressive that it overshadows the employment dates??? And if she called my home number at 12pm to schedule a interview why would she ask me that question???

Also when a employer calls to schedule a interview why would they ask can you come in the very next day? I thought they would atleast give you a day cushion and ask can I come in on Friday unless people don't like intervewing on Friday.

probably just to make sure you didn't find a job between when you sent the resume and when they called. just tell them the truth. stop worrying so much about the questions they ask/will ask..it's not supposed to be scripted.

why would you need a days cushion?

They are asking you if you are working because it's a standard question. Who knows, something might have changed between now & the time you sent your resume in. Just because you are home at noon on a weekday does not mean you're not working- you could have picked up a part-time job to pay the bills, etc.

What's wrong with asking you to come in the next day for an interview? Seems normal to me- it all depends on the interviewers schedule.

What in the world do you need a "cushion" day for? Don't ask to reschedule the interview. Honestly, you have to learn to roll with the punches more, and not get so agitated when things don't unfold exactly the way you think they will.

It is very very standard. Don't you think some people leave out current positions (say, McDonalds) if they are looking for work in a unrelated field? Resumes are normally themed towards the goals of the company and some people don't add everything for that reason. The employer has an obligation to ask. Chill out.

You're so hard on people.

probably just to make sure you didn't find a job between when you sent the resume and when they called. just tell them the truth. stop worrying so much about the questions they ask/will ask..it's not supposed to be scripted.

why would you need a days cushion?

I just thought that a employer was considerate enough to ask you about the day AFTER the following day they are talking to you because you may have something planned. I don't know if this means that this is a position they are trying to fill quickly and don' want to waste time but I wanted to get a haircut on Friday because I was not expecting any interviews this week. My last interview was a month ago. Well I just have to make my hair presentable that's all.

I just thought that a employer was considerate enough to ask you about the day AFTER the following day they are talking to you because you may have something planned. I don't know if this means that this is a position they are trying to fill quickly and don' want to waste time but I wanted to get a haircut on Friday because I was not expecting any interviews this week. My last interview was a month ago. Well I just have to make my hair presentable that's all.

Go get a haircut right now- it's not that big of a deal.

They are asking you if you are working because it's a standard question. Who knows, something might have changed between now & the time you sent your resume in. Just because you are home at noon on a weekday does not mean you're not working- you could have picked up a part-time job to pay the bills, etc.

What's wrong with asking you to come in the next day for an interview? Seems normal to me- it all depends on the interviewers schedule.

What in the world do you need a "cushion" day for? Don't ask to reschedule the interview. Honestly, you have to learn to roll with the punches more, and not get so agitated when things don't unfold exactly the way you think they will.

I told them I can come in at 9:30am tomorrow, I had enough sense not to pick the 2:30pm slot since I'munemployed which would have gave off the message that I wanted to sleep before I came in.

Standard question, and who cares what time they call as long as it's during "normal" business hours. They don't know that maybe you found a graveyard shift job or you are on your day off.

And when it comes to giving notice... all's fair, right? There is no set "standard of hiring rulebook" that employers follow. If you want a job, buck up and tell them, "Yes, I can be there tomorrow! Thanks for the opportunity!"

Coming in at 2:30 doesn't give them the impression that you want to sleep in! CD... you make the most strange assumptions about what others assume about you. If you had picked the 2:30 slot, you could have got your hair cut in the morning. And if your barber wasn't available, then go to a quick-cut place. Problem solved.

they're being generous by giving you the opportunity to apply for their job.

get a haircut today or tomorrow before the interview. that's not of their concern.

they're being generous by giving you the opportunity to apply for their job.

get a haircut today or tomorrow before the interview. that's not of their concern.

I'm just going to wash my hair, that will make it look fine and the cleaners already cleaned my suit for free after telling them I was unemployed.

It just dawned on me why it's good for employers to ask me about the day after. It's because I just realized that since I don't have a printer at home, I now have to get dress and go to kinkos so I can print out the resume that the job received yesterday. If they asked me about Friday or monday, I wouldn't have had to go until tomorrow. Damm, I had no intentions on leaving this house today.

I just thought that a employer was considerate

They're employers. The only thing they consider is themselves. They have the pick of employees right now, you have to work for the job.

It's not about what's better or more convenient for you, it's about fitting yourself in to their schedule - they won't wait for you.

In order to catch the ball CD, you have to want to catch the ball.

It just dawned on me why it's good for employers to ask me about the day after. It's because I just realized that since I don't have a printer at home, I now have to get dress and go to kinkos so I can print out the resume that the job received yesterday. If they asked me about Friday or monday, I wouldn't have had to go until tomorrow. Damm, I had no intentions on leaving this house today.

Get out of the house and do something productive...it's good for the mind.

Archived