employer asking for proof of citizenship

Depends were your working at and if they have an issue with the illegal immagrants like they've gotten in trouble over hiring illegals before then yeah i could see them doing that.

Ask people around the work place if they have been asked the same question. If most say no or they were asked but still said know then i wouldn't give it to them.

My bf gets all his employees screened by the gov't for citizenship. This has just started in the last couple of years. He's real careful now that he doesn't hire someone who does not at least have a green card. He goes further and demands proof of citizenship. They will shut him dow pronto if he hires an illegal immigrant. We live in the Los Angeles area and it's a big issue here right now.

My bf gets all his employees screened by the gov't for citizenship. This has just started in the last couple of years. He's real careful now that he doesn't hire someone who does not at least have a green card. He goes further and demands proof of citizenship. They will shut him dow pronto if he hires an illegal immigrant. We live in the Los Angeles area and it's a big issue here right now.

Why would you need to be a citizen to work for him? Unless it's for the federal government, a green card gives you the same working rights as a citizen.

Yes, it is standard in most companies, especially larger companies who are worried about being prosecuted for employing illegal aliens. If caught, an illegal gets deported, but there are also laws that penalize companies who are caught employing illegals.

If they have proof you are valid to work in the U.S., they have protection against being prosecuted. It is common to ask for a birth certificate (if you say you are a U.S. citizen) or other immigration papers if you say you are not.

How To Get an Overseas Employment C...
How To Get an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) Through POPS-BaM

Archived