puppy's face always stinky

jammer180

i got my puppy in august last year, he's about 10 months old now. he's a russian bolonka (mix of * * * * zu and bijon). anyway, he had ear infection problems when i first got him so his head was always stinky. i got that taken care of though, but he's still stinky all the time. i figured out it's coming from his face. i THINK it's his eye goobers everyday drooling down his snout and getting all dried up in his hair there. it's always there! i try to wash his snout everyday before i go to bed, but nothing seems to help.

does anyone else have this problem? or know how to get rid of it, or at least a way to clean it easier? he does not like it when i wash his snout and is not very cooperative so it's hard to get it all out. if i don't get it all, it gets dried up and then he's scratching at his face with his paws. i'm afraid that it's bothering him so i'd like to try to get rid of it but just don't know how!

All puppies have a distinctive smell, which I have difficulty describing, which comes from the top of the head and lessens as they age. I wouldn't describe it as "stinky" though, it's kind of a pleasant, newborn animal smell.

You said he has eye goobers- does he have an eye infection? When's the last time he was to the vet? Is he rolling in poop or eating garbarge or something?

he's been eating his own poop but the vet said that's normal. i did take him in to get a check up since his ear infections, but i know the smell is no longer coming from his ears. however, it IS the same smell and it's not a nice baby puppy smell either. upon closer inspection (yes, i sniffed all over his face) i found it's coming from where his eye goobers drool down during the day and dry up. i wash his snout off almost every night before bed and even pull out any eye goobers i see, and brush out the fur after i wash it too. still the smell is there. the vet said it could be the eye goobers but didnt say he had an eye infection. i guess i'll just keep an eye on it, but he does seem to have a lot of eye goobers.

can i use people eye drops like visine on a dog?

Archived