Share Your Interview Nightmare/Funny stories

Double J

I had an interview this afternoon and, needless to say, I thought I had seen it all.

I met with a lady and later, her boss. I proposed a broad 10k salary range, and the lady low-balled me by saying they could only offer the lowest number in that range (gee, what a coincidence). I asked if the person who received the offer would get an offer letter stipulating the agreed upon salary, benefits and other details, as it customary with most companies out there. She said, "Nope, you'll only be getting a handshake." I then met with her supervisor, and all of the sudden, he tells me the highest salary they could offer is 6k less than the amount the first person had provided. I ran this by the guy, who proceeded to say that there must have been a "misunderstanding" because they always offer people the lower salary to start out.

Once the guy saw I was iffy about his proposed salary, he really put me on the spot and started asking tough questions about the industry the company is in -- questions I couldn't nail down 100% since I've never worked in that sector before. He probably did it purposely because he knew neither party was interested any longer at that point.

What interview-related experiences have you guys had? Whether it's interviewers falling asleep, being asked illegal questions, and the like, it'd be nice to have everyone share. I'm sure those of us looking for jobs during these tough times can take comfort in knowing we're not alone.

When I interviewed for the Secret Service for my internship (which i didn't get unfortunately), they asked me "We see that you're turning 21 soon...So will you be buying your underage friends alcohol?"

Lol, this was not a question I was ready for, and of course, since I had very good friends under 21 that I would buy alcohol for, I hesitated. Then I said, "Ummmmm.....not if you give me this job?" They gave me a bad look, and perhaps that might be why I didn't get the job.

I had an interview probably about a year ago for a position that required taking on clients. The interviewer asked me what I would do if I ever saw one of my clients at a mall on the weekend. Having experienced this a few weeks before, I knew exactly what I would do, ignore them and go somewhere else... That didn't seem to impress the interviewer...

I didn't see the problem with that answer. My time is my time, I'm not there to be friends with everyone....

I had an interview at a locally owned movie theatre that I KNEW went really well. They were desperate for people and had signs up all over town. The interviewer even said they hadn't been getting many applications. Seriously, this place hires the most inept fourteen year olds, it was hard to wrap my mind over why they hadn't called me back after the interview for a job...

Until a friend of mine got hired and she said they only hired Mormans. Very illegal, but when he was asking me if I knew or was related to anyone who worked there at the interview, I had no idea that he'd been fishing to find out if I was Morman or not! I guess his displeasure when he offered me a coffee and I accepted should have been a sign, but I couldn't imagine that those things were more important than the bajillion and one questions he asked throughout the forty minute long interview. Haha, oh well.

An elementary school principal was interviewing me for a second grade teacher position.

She asked me, "Why is it beneficial to work with others?" I said, "Because then we can collaborate on lessons and student performance standards." She said. "Let me REPHRASE that. Why is it beneficial to work with others?" I didn't get it, so I basically said the same thing. Then she took a long, exaggerated sigh and, exhasperated, said "NO! WHY IS IT BENEFICIAL TO WORK WITH OTHERS?" What the heck did she want me to say?

Also, that same principal wanted to know why I had taken Human Sexuality classes (which were in my transcript). I told her I originally wanted to be a marriage therapist. She said, "I was wondering about that..." as if it was somehow wrong for me to take the classes.

When I asked if she wanted to see my teaching portfolio, she said "NO thank you. I've seen enough already."

geez

When I was in college I interviewed at a local software company. I would have been the only female employee. Actually, now that I think about it, this has happened much the same way more than once. By the time I left the interview I knew I wasn't eh-hem qualified for the job, and with their attitude I really didn't want it anyway. These days being a female in a highly technical field is a distinct advantage so I have no regrets.

I had an interview today over the telephone. I had interviewed for another position with the organisation (this was my fourth interview with this place!) and they said they didn't hive me that position because they didn't feel it was technical enough for me. So the hour person apparently figured I'd be a shoo-in for this other highly technical position forecasting oil revenues.

They started with a series of 9 knowledge questions. They were so far over my head that all I could say was "no, never heard of that..." over and over.

Finally I said "look, it seems that this position is not for me. If you're looking for someone with this kind pa knowledge base, that's just not me. I don't want to waste your time"

They then basically pleaded with me to continue the interview and went on to try extremely hard to sell the position.

What the heck?

Of yeah, and the worst part - I've been going through this interview process with these guys for so long that I finally told them I had another offer and would need to wrap things up quickly. So in the interview they started asking which agency offered me the job. These jobs are all with the govt and I was afraid they would somehow find out it wasn't true so I refused to tell them! Lol

Me: "oh, I'm not sure I'm supposed to give that information."

Her: "sure you can. We're all the same employer."

Me: "please excuse me, I don't feel comfortable revealing that at this point."

Oh gosh I'm such a geek.

I once had a group interview with just one other girl for a job in retail. For the first part of the interview she kept answering every question first, so brilliantly and thoroughly that all my answers were mostly stupid, or just the words, "Yeah... I'd do that too". Then for the second part, we had to answer a huge series of yes or no questions on the phone by pressing number one for yes, and two for no. It took insanely long, and for a huge part of it I kept having to press yes, so I just started doing it without thinking. Then I realized I'd pressed "yes" to "Have you ever been in trouble at work for sexual harassment?" In a panic, I ran out to tell the interviewer I'd make a mistake, to which she said, "Umm I'm pretty sure they'll take it into account." Even though I was an eighteen-year-old girl who had answered all of the other questions well. Needless to say I didn't get the job, and never go to that location anymore. I peeked in once, and that other girl from the interview who kept cutting me off now works there. I hate interviews!

I remembered another one. It was an interview for a bank, and the interviewer told me that she had just flown in to conduct the interview, so she was tired. In the next breath she told me that she was looking forward to the flight home so she could get "hammered".

That interview didn't go well. Her assistant who booked the interview was supposed to tell me to prepare a presentation for the interview. When that portion of the interview came up I was completely caught off guard and had nothing to present. She didn't seem to believe me that her assistant forgot to tell me about the presentation. Waste-o-time.

Archived