Desperation or Agressive?

Me and my friend were talking last night and I was telling her I see so many job ads that say-"please no phone calls"

And I couldn't believe that someone would actually call a employer to find out if their resume was received. I personally feel that it makes you look desperate and I have never thought of doing anything like that. I just don't know what you accomplish by making a call like that. If they say yes then you still will only be called if they feel you are qualified for the position.

I thought the purpose of submitting a resume was to catch the attention of the employer, not grab the phone and call and ask-"was my resume received"

So would you agree this is a sign of desperation?

Me and my friend were talking last night and I was telling her I see so many job ads that say-"please no phone calls"

And I couldn't believe that someone would actually call a employer to find out if their resume was received. I personally feel that it makes you look desperate and I have never thought of doing anything like that. I just don't know what you accomplish by making a call like that. If they say yes then you still will only be called if they feel you are qualified for the position.

I thought the purpose of submitting a resume was to catch the attention of the employer, not grab the phone and call and ask-"was my resume received"

So would you agree this is a sign of desperation?

Yes, agree 100%. It's totally irritating, you're getting someone who is fed up with you.

I usually email my application in if possible, and put a 'receipt' thing on it. I tend not to send in CVs blindly, though. Most companies here only accept applications for specific jobs; they do not employ people who speculatively apply.

So if I'm applying for the job, I do everything that they request - and no phoning! You're right.

I've heard this supposed tip from people as well, that you should 'follow up' your CV with a phone call to check it was received.

I don't see why anyone thinks this is a good idea. If they got it then they got it, what more can you do? The postal system isn't so desperate that you need to check all your mail gets there personally. You might get unlucky once but how likely is it really?

I think this would be more annoying than assertive.

I've heard this supposed tip from people as well, that you should 'follow up' your CV with a phone call to check it was received.

I don't see why anyone thinks this is a good idea. If they got it then they got it, what more can you do? The postal system isn't so desperate that you need to check all your mail gets there personally. You might get unlucky once but how likely is it really?

I think this would be more annoying than assertive.

I agree 100%. I don't even call AFTER a interview. If they want me they have my contact information, the same information they used to schedule me a interview-lol

Some job advice sites actually recommend phoning back after a few days to see if they've received your application or resume. It's 'supposed' to be a way of being proactive in jobsearching, I guess some people find it irritating. I'm sure the employers who list stuff like "no phone calls please" are just tired of answering phone calls and then explaining what's going on to people when they aren't even going to be considered.

Depending on the company, sometimes making yourself seem available like that.... it can be a good thing! Ive had several jobs where after a few days of not hearing from them, i call and they offer me the job, saying they were too busy to get back to me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

When i used to do the hiring and firing at my old job, it drove me crazy when somebody would call me right after they sent it. Its not like i sit at my job waiting for you resume... Give me a few days!!

Actually I'm one of those people that call and I've had a lot of luck with it. I don't call to make sure they got my resume necessarily, but to check on the status of my application. I was told to do it because it shows you take initiative and makes you stand out among the other applicants. I've had it lead to interviews and job offers on more than one occasion.

Ummm, no. When I was unemployed I called companies to follow up after a week. Doesnt make you look desperate, it sets you apart from the 100 other ppl who applied and the employer now has your name in their head. Who do you think they are going to call for an interview? A person whos resume is sitting in the large stack, or the person who just called to follow up?

(considering you are qualified)

I did become too aggressive in my job search. I started going door to door. I went in person to fill out an application for a smaller company. The HR lady was extremely mean, but I just looked at it as Im glad I saw that bc I wouldve been miserable working for someone like that.

Depending on the company, sometimes making yourself seem available like that.... it can be a good thing! Ive had several jobs where after a few days of not hearing from them, i call and they offer me the job, saying they were too busy to get back to me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

When i used to do the hiring and firing at my old job, it drove me crazy when somebody would call me right after they sent it. Its not like i sit at my job waiting for you resume... Give me a few days!!

Calling after the interview is not as weird as calling after you send a resume.

Ummm, no. When I was unemployed I called companies to follow up after a week. Doesnt make you look desperate, it sets you apart from the 100 other ppl who applied and the employer now has your name in their head. Who do you think they are going to call for an interview? A person whos resume is sitting in the large stack, or the person who just called to follow up?

(considering you are qualified)

I receive call back all the time without calling. Just yesterday I sent in a resume and received a call back 3 hours later.

I receive call back all the time without calling. Just yesterday I sent in a resume and received a call back 3 hours later.

Thats great! I am talking about the times where you apply and dont get a call back. Thats why I said I waited a week.

My Dad is the VP of his company. He told me to cold call HR depts and ask if they are hiring. It works. I really was desperate for a job. I had bills to pay.

Hey they might have interviewed ppl they thought were better qualified, but when I called a lot were impressed with my aggression and commitment. Most ppl dont do that. I often got interviews quicker that way. This is how I got the job I wanted, not a job I had to take bc nothing else is available.

Also, Im not sure what area you are in, but the economy is really bad in Florida. I have seen ppl unemployed for months in my area, and I refused to be one of those ppl. I guess it depends on how much you want something. When I want something, I get it. If you are not that type of person and are not aggressive in that way. Then, thats just who you are and you will get a job at your own pace.

I think it depends on the business you're in....I always call to make sure a resume is received. If I care enough about a job to apply, then I care enough to make sure the resume is in the hands of the person who needs to see it. I can see where jobs that get a lot of applicants would have trouble fielding the calls though

I think it depends on the business you're in....I always call to make sure a resume is received. If I care enough about a job to apply, then I care enough to make sure the resume is in the hands of the person who needs to see it. I can see where jobs that get a lot of applicants would have trouble fielding the calls though

The job I applied to a hour ago clarly stated-"no phone calls"-lol They must get bombarded with calls to state that.

I lost out on a job once to someone who did call them. Oh well, I still don't do it unless they ask me to.

you are talking about after the interview. I'm talking about sending a resume and then calling 2 days later to see if they got it. I sent a resume to a job today and have no intentions on calling if I don't hear anything by next wednesday.

I think you're too worried about looking desperate. If you're unemployed, in a way you are desperate. Calling shows you have a strong interest in the position and that is a plus, but like others have said wait at least a week before calling.

When you are unemployed it's very important you don't look desperate. They don't need to know I NEED THE JOB, I raher play it cool and make them want me.

Archived