I lied and now it's biting me on the bum! Help!

Hey Guys,

Well heres the scenario.

Last year I was in a job I hated. Was there 6 or 7 months. Did not get along with the staff that were constantly fighting and arguing with each other. I didn't fight or argue with them. Just kept well out of the way. Lots went on that I don’t need to get into. Anyway after 6 months or so I was getting so worked up by it I’d wake 3 or 4 hours early dreading going in and all of my days off were spent dreading being at work.

One day I got sick at work (tummy bug) and took the afternoon off and the next day. When I returned to work my boss asked if I was pregnant, because she needed to know if I was. I said yes (which was a huge whooping lie!) and that my husband and I had decided it was best for me to hand in my notice and stay at home. So I left

Anyways, that was a while ago now but I still feel so incredibly guilty. It wasn't a white lie it was a huge one. People say in the eyes of god a lie is a sin and for a sin you go to hell. This terrifies me.

I am also a believer in Karma and since I have left that job I can't seem to find work I enjoy and feel it's all my own fault for lying.

I thought about going back to the place I worked to tell them I lied. I even suggested it to my husband; he said that’s a mad idea.

Whilst he didn't agree with me lying he thinks I'm really over reacting.

Thins is just playing on my mind so much.

Any Ideas on how to stop being paranoid and get over this. Other than don't tell lies as I kinda worked that out already.

Sugar xxx

another vote for overreacting.

It was a bad job and you're probably happy not being there. Work will come again, but your crazed view of karma and needing to 'repent' to a former employee is staggering.

Seriously, they don't care, they don't need to know, and karma doesn't work that way.

Snap ouit of it - it's just a white lie. Besides, for all they know if they see you walking down the street with no baby in tow.... are they seriously going to question it? Will they call the police on you? Force you to work for them again?

It REALLY doesn't matter. Relax, and when the time comes you'll find another job - it's just not the greatest time to be looking for work right now is it?

Yes..if our creator forgives us then we owe it to forgive ourselves. I just said a mini prayer of forgiveness for you ..so now you are free. Forget the past..you wont go to hell youll go to heaven...you are forgiven! Move forward in life...

Woman often have miscarriages, so it is highly unlikely they'd call you out on not being pregnant. You may have even chosen an abortion, again it is a subject that an employer is likely to question too much.

However, it was a strange lie, if you were pregnant, wouldn't you have wanted to stay and receive maturnity payments...

Also, if you return to that job, you'll be back into the same rut that made you tell such a stupid and sordid lie.

If people went to hell for telling white lies then heaven would be empty.

You did not do this out of maliciousness, but because you felt desperate and trapped and wanted to avoid a confrontation about why you were quitting.

almost no one tells the truth about why they leave a job. How many people would leave saying 'i'm quitting my job because my boss is a horrible cow who i can't stand to listen to one more minute.' or 'you're all a bunch of bickering obnoxious losers.' or 'i hate every one of you and can't stand working here one more minute.'

But the truth is most people quit for those reasons. And they don't tell the truth about leaving. They say something like 'i found a better opportunity' or 'i really appreciated working here but i am going to stay home'... both are lies because if the job were a good job and nice place to work, they wouldn't look for a new job or quit. so they demur and tell a little lie to avoid confrontation when quitting.

So you didn't nothing wrong at all, it was just a question of degree... you told a more elaborate lie (pregnancy) rather than a small lie (i'm quitting to stay home for a while).

i would just look at this not that you are evil at all, but that you need to learn how to be more assertive and recognize you don't need an excuse to do what you want. it is OK to say, this job isn't working out for me so I am quitting. or, to just tell a polite social white lie like everyone else does so as not to create bad feelings.

i frankly think creating bad feelings by telling a truth that hurts people's feelings is worse than telling a white lie that lets you make your getaway. Next time, just don't panic and tell a whopper, tell a small polite excuse instead.

Should you have lied? No, of course not but what's done is done. You're honestly not going to change a thing in their situation by coming clean. You obviously feel remorse about it and that's what is important here. So it's time to forgive yourself, learn from this mistake, and move on with your life.

"When I returned to work my boss asked if I was pregnant, because she needed to know if I was."

Anyone else find it odd that her boss demanded to know if she was pregnant?!

Isn't that something that could have been taken up with HR on a level of being legal?

As for the OP, I would just move on & don't look back.

Oh dear, I wouldn't worry about it too much... I know that sometimes telling a lie can eat away at you (I'm the queen of that), but try not to stress! From the sounds of it you probably would have left the job anyway, and it's really none of their business what your reasons are for it. Many people give their notice without even explaining why, or just quit on the spot and leave. I know you feel bad about it, but try not to be so hard on yourself. Everyone makes mistakes.

Best of luck!

Archived