Old cats leaving home to die

hazylynx

Hey all,

My cat 'Mitzi'(a long haired Somali) aged 19 has died i think, it's been 4 days since i last saw her(searched in all directions from my house and nothing)

..asked the neighbours to keep an eye out for an unusual looking moggy..they know of the cat anyway as she was an old cat also called the R.S.P.C.A..and nothing.

I believe she has crawled underneath a shed or somthing and has died..i wish i could find the body so i can bury it along with her brothers in the garden..she has been apart of my life since i was 2(21 now).. it's the least i can do =) wouldn't want the body to just be found by the R.S.P.C.A and 'destoryed'..

Does anyone find that old cats just 'crack' on and find a safe place to die? happened to my mates cat.. but just turned out the cat went to live with the old woman who needed the company more i think lol...

She was abit skraggy and abit confused at times in her old age.. but other than that she was a healthy Cat.. well anyway..

thankyou Mitzi for;

- 19 years of haressening me for chicken..

- waking me up at 5am just to be let out a door even though theres a cat flap which you use at all the other times of the day!!!

-using my neck for warmth while i am asleep then purring/clawing me

-batting things off the table

-blinding that dog that attacked you!

-Being the jazz cat during that party at mine..loving the attention from the girls and inadvertly setting me up with that girl so thanks for that..

-bringing in dead birds as a gift

-figuring out that you could kill my sisters hamsters if you hide under the bed where my sister wouldn't look =)

-licking my dads food..then watching him eat it w/o him knowing..you can't script that

-being sick in that horrible persons shoe

-coming to school with me.. for show and tell when i was 4 haha

-using my shoulders in the morning as a perch

-making the place look better

-being the supporting actor in that film.. and doing a better job than the human actor!

-jumping on my synth and somhow creating an awesome sound that i still use today!

there plently more..

Byebye Mitzi (I can't remember your predigree name, mother will) you were a cool cat and i'll never forget you =)

I have found that animals tend to try to move away from the home to die. I have had this happen with numerous animals since my childhood...no matter how close we were to the pet they seemed to try to venture as far away from us as they could to pass on. Maybe it is some animal instinct to not want to die right there in the vicinity and path of loved ones.

I am so sorry about mitzie.

I have found that animals tend to try to move away from the home to die. I have had this happen with numerous animals since my childhood...no matter how close we were to the pet they seemed to try to venture as far away from us as they could to pass on. Maybe it is some animal instinct to not want to die right there in the vicinity and path of loved ones.

I am so sorry about mitzie.

perhaps it's a trait.. they feel the need to hide from predators or somthing..

I am so sorry...

Yes, cats do and will seclude themselves when it is 'time'... Even indoor cats. I have seen it with my two indoor cats. They start to look for places to pass away.. I euthanized mine at the end, but I knew the time was near when they started to sleep in 'odd' places and places like closets where it is dark and away from the world.

What a wonderful life you gave her and she gave you... We can tell from some of the memories you shared here...

I'm sorry about your cat. I can understand how hard it is for you, even though my cat is still alive, i have also had him since i was 2 and it's like is is ALWAYS there, so it will be really sad when suddenly he isn't. I had no idea cats often do that before they die... I hope you find her

Thank all.. tbh i am not really sad.. i'm pretty acustomed to death or have a extremely low sense of morality since seeing so much of it i don't know... i celebrate her death.. she was an awesome cat..better she died in peace than in horrid pain..

just wish i could find the body so i can bury it next to her brothers..thats what is getting to me..

thanx

I'm sorry. I don't know why they do this. my childhood cat did this too, I think. he was kinda old and one day he just never came home. I had him since I was two also. He loved me so much, he let me do whatever I wanted. I would get sent to my room for playing too rough with him and he'd sit outside the door until I could come out again. He'd catch mice and birds and always left the heart and intestines outside the front door for me. Awww he's in Kitty Heaven

Awwww...I am so sorry to hear this. But she lived to be 19! Wow!

Cats do tend to go off and hide when they're getting ready to die. It's pretty common, actually. My cat has cancer (incurable) and my vet asked me the last time she was in if my cat had been hiding (she hasn't). I know it's a *sign* though, one I will be looking out for.

I am so sorry about Mitzi. She lived a long and happy life, though, and she was much loved, I can tell.

There was a great old cat (Max) living down the road from me, and for the last few years, he'd always come running up to say hi... just so friendly. For awhile, I thought he was homeless because he was so skinny and well.. old looking. Turns out that he was just old. He went missing the last week of March, and I've seen his owner posting up fliers and crying, but I knew right away that he had most likely gone away to pass on. He was 19 as well, just like your cat. I'm willing to bet that Max and Mitzi they're playing together in kitty heaven right now Sad as it can be, it is so great when kitties and any other pets really, can lead such long and happy lives.

Archived