Infinite options, one single choice...

BusyNAbroad
Choices Quotes Page 3
Choices Quotes Page 3

...and there are thousands of theories, models, advice, other peoples' experiences, our own experiences, philosophies, religions, etc. that have their different explanations on what might be the consequence of the choice we make.

It may be a choice on our lifestyle, on a change in our personality, on our mating and dating behavior, on nearly everything we do in life.

We may have subscribed to a specific set of rules for a long time or choose individually from different parts.

In an ever increasing globalized world full of information, the amount of available knowledge grows exponentially and sometimes we know of so many option that it's hard to make a choice.

Sometimes we get bombarded with options and thoughts that we literally faint because we cannot bear so much information.

Today I fainted for the first time in my life because I was in panic due to not knowing what to do. It was something very simple, very trivial actually, yet my mind started considering 1000s of different actions and outcomes that I couldn't decide anymore which choice would be the "right" choice.

I was under pressure to make the choice quickly, and I was confronting different conflicting philosophies, religions, theories and advice/experience such as what I read on this forum.

I know that not everyone encounters this kind of situations, and this may be related to my own personality which tries to compare all different lifestyles before acting on my own. However, I start feeling that I'm missing out a bit on "action" while considering all these options.

I fear that all this time, while I'm thinking and philosophizing, I may have actually lost many opportunities for some nice/fulfilling experiences in life (relationships, adventures, career, etc.)

How would you suggest a person who is bombarded by so much information and different theories/advice/philosophies/experience (even conflicting ones) to make the right choice when a quick decision is required?

The only option I can think of is to step back and realize that not every choice we make will be the right one. Sometimes you just have to make a choice. If it turns out to be the wrong one, you know to eliminate it next time.

You should read this book "The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less" it actually talks about this- how having too many choices can actually be paralyzing and detrimental to our psychological health. The author talks about how to deal with making decisions so that they are less stressful.

One thing in the book that I found cool was that some people are looking to be satisfied with their choice. Others are obsessive about finding the absolute best choice (he calls them "maximizers"). Maximizers usually, despite doing more research and agonizing more over their choices are usually less satisfied with their choice and will constantly second-guess themselves.

Anyways, it's an interesting read.

Choices are not concrete. There are very few situations on this planet where, if a choice you make turns out to be the wrong choice, you won't be able to rectify the situation. This is what keeps me going--I know that I make the best decisions I can with the information I have and the time I have, and if down the road, it turns out I made the wrong decision, then I can correct it.

Archived