Using only condoms for birth control

amyb

With my last boyfriend we only used condoms as a form of birth control and they worked out fine (no pregnancy scares!).

I'm sort of seeing this new guy and even though we haven't been intimate yet, we will eventually and I am thinking about whether I should just continue with the condoms (they will be used anyway for STDs) or should I consider the pill as well? The research shows that condoms are 98% effective if used correctly and the pill is 99%. So its not much of a difference.

I am a firm believer in not taking any sort of medication unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, like for a serious illness. I won't even take an aspirin unless I have a migraine. My main issue is the side effects. I don't want to risk messing up my body, especially since I have never had any problems (i.e with my menstrual cycle - sorry if this is too much information )

Has anyone else here ever used ONLY condoms as a form of birth control with success?

Has anyone else here ever used ONLY condoms as a form of birth control with success?

since i am not pregnant, i would say i was successful

maybe since you don't want medicines in your body, you could go with condoms + spermicide?

Birth Control pills and condoms are only 98-99% effective when used 100% properly (As in lab studies but not in real life..) Condoms can break, have holes in them, and so many other things that can fail unexpectedly that is why it is always best to use atleast 2 forms of birth control when you aren't ready for a child. Whether it be Condoms + Spermicides, Condoms + The Pill, Condoms + Pulling out... or whatever or however you go about it. Always better to be safer than sorry, right?

Ha! You should read Rose's threads.

Anyway, I'm in a similar situation to you. I can't use hormonal birth control because has caused me so many problems in the past. I had a copper IUD and that was a disaster. The only thing left that is highly effective is condoms.

I'm not in a relationship right now, but it does bother me a lot and I hope the next guy I date doesn't have a problem with this.

Amyb: me and you think alike lol. I also HATE taking medications unless absolutely necessary.

Yes I really on only condoms. However, I think if me and my bf where having sex every day or very very often I would consider the pill- maybe.

So far no problems though with any of my other ex's either.

I only use condoms. I tried several different kinds of bc, but they all made me feel out of whack. We've been using condoms only for almost a year now with no problems. Are you opposed to the morning after pill? If a condom breaks, that is an option available.

I was on birth control pills for some months a while back but stopped taking them because of side effects plus I'm similar to you about not taking medication unless absolutely necessary. Before BC pills and after bc pills for the past 7 months my bf and I have just been using condoms and nothing yet. I'd say as long as you are using condoms correctly the 98% thing is true and if you are wanting to be extra careful it would be smart to look into 2 forms of birth control. There are other options besides the pill. You should look into those options. But yeah, there are only a few things that I know of that wouldn't effect hormones and such.

Birth Control pills and condoms are only 98-99% effective when used 100% properly (As in lab studies but not in real life..) Condoms can break, have holes in them, and so many other things that can fail unexpectedly that is why it is always best to use atleast 2 forms of birth control when you aren't ready for a child. Whether it be Condoms + Spermicides, Condoms + The Pill, Condoms + Pulling out... or whatever or however you go about it. Always better to be safer than sorry, right?

"Lab studies" for birth control use real couples...for each method of birth control, 100 couples try that method for one year. At the end of the year, the number of couples who did not get pregnant is how they get the "percent effective". I do agree with what you're saying though, i.e. that 2 forms is better than 1.

"Lab studies" for birth control use real couples...for each method of birth control, 100 couples try that method for one year. At the end of the year, the number of couples who did not get pregnant is how they get the "percent effective". I do agree with what you're saying though, i.e. that 2 forms is better than 1.

Yes and with the "lab studies" the birth control pills are taken at exactly the same time each day, the people who are taking the pills do not take any other forms of medication nor consume any other substance (IE Alcohol) so the "lab studies" aren't 100%.

Archived