Does NuvaRing kill a woman's sex drive?

sbux_addict

Hi everyone,

Wasn't really sure where to post this, but I have this problem.

So when I was using the pill as a form of BC, I immediately noticed that I was becoming overly emotional about every single thing. I was on it for a month and then decided to stop. I was on it with a previous sexual partner.

Now I have a bf and I decided that I wanted to change my BC so I won't be all emotional and the doctor gave me a prescription for the NuvaRing because she said that one has low dosage of the thing that makes you psycho crazy. So I've been on it for about a week, and it did solve my problem of not being too emotional - but dang, it sure did kill my sex drive!!! I mean, me, of all people, someone who needed a FBuddy when I wasn't in a relationship all the sudden finds herself not wanting to have sex with my bf, or not being in the mood most of the time. Also, when I'm in the mood, I get so dry...and this morning - my bf had to apply the lube, and I was still dry!!

I told my bf that I just couldn't do it, and I felt really bad. In fact, when we were doing it, I just couldn't wait for him to cum so he can get off me. I don't know what's wrong. I deeply care for my bf and I am attracted to him tremendously, so I'm starting to think that it's the Nuva Ring because I've read that a lower libido could be a side-effect. I told my bf this and he said that it's perfectly ok with him, that we sometimes have our bad moments, and he assured me that he can even go for a month without having sex with me, and that would be ok with him. He said that that's not the only thing he likes about me, and I felt assured.

The thing is, I don't want this to be a regular thing. I want to have sex with my bf and enjoy it...and none of that is happening!

Has anyone been on the NR and lost their sex drive? I wonder which one is better - going psycho crazy or losing the sex drive...

Which BC do you recommend without having either one of the side effects?

I have never had any type of BC but the IUD. Best thing other than the weight gain but you have to have had children to get it. I have a friend who has the nuva ring and she has a way high sex drive... I bet its different for everyone but I would def. take the psycho craziness over no sex drive. I LOVE SEX!!

A girl I was seeing was on the NuvaRing, although I didn't notice a decrease in drive, I will caution you about something else. One morning after having sex with her I woke up to find this damn ring on my junk! I had no idea what the hell it was or where it came from! It looked like a rolled up condom. I was like what the hell! When I showed her she started dying laughing and told me what it was. I guess I fished it out of her. weird huh! I got all worried thinking I might have got her pregnant! So be careful. Its not supposed to come out like that but I assure you it can!

That's exactly what NuvaRing did to me. It took us a few months to figure out that was what had changed, and as soon as I stopped using it, I was back to normal. My husband and I pointed out that maybe it works as birth control because it makes you just never want to have sex again!! It also made me feel like a crazy person while I was on it...always exhausted, and alternating between completely depressed or ragingly angry for no reason. I HATED IT.

I'm sure it's different for every woman. I for one use the nuvaring and have a very HIGH sex drive. I've also used other forms of birth-control and was not affected. Some women are just very sensitive to the hormones in bc. Keep trying different ones until you find the right one for you.

• 1 month later...

Oh you poor sweetheart!!! ON Nuvaring I experienced a total desctruction of my sex drive and bad vaginnal burning during (and after...) intercourse and DRYNESS!!!

I can absolutelly relate with the fact that you just want your bf to get it over with and get off you! For me the burning was so bad, we couldn't continue. when you write "I don't know what's wrong. I deeply care for my bf and I am attracted to him tremendously...", this is so typical of questionning yoursefl and sort of blaming yourself. I did the same thing. It is NOT your fault. Stop the Nuvaring and go for non hormonal contraception. (I also went psycho on Nuvaring aside from the vaginal nuring and pain and the destroyed sex drive. I switched to the Pill after 2 months of Nuvaring but i remainned anxious and moody and cecame increasingly depressed. It isn't worth it).

get a crevical cap fitted, they are placed on the cervix, can be placed hours before sex and left in for up to three days. you can also try japanese condoms which are supposedly like skin. more expensive but the best. What is worse, going crazy and having pain and no libido, or the inconvenience of an alternative birth control? I really feel for you. I have suffered so much becasue of hormonal birth control...

All hormonal forms of birth control have the potential to decrease libido. The artificial progestin suppresses testosterone and this is what is primarily responsible for libido. It doesn't mean it will happen for everyone, but the chance is certainly there.

That's exactly what NuvaRing did to me. It took us a few months to figure out that was what had changed, and as soon as I stopped using it, I was back to normal. My husband and I pointed out that maybe it works as birth control because it makes you just never want to have sex again!! It also made me feel like a crazy person while I was on it...always exhausted, and alternating between completely depressed or ragingly angry for no reason. I HATED IT.

this is exactly what I went through. This has affected me so much. I am crying right now remembereing how much I suffered, and my bf at the time too. I was very volatile and angry too while on Nuvaring. It was withing a week of starting it that I noticed an immeidate and drastic change. I stayed on it because I blamed myself and thought I needed to give the Nuvaring a fair chance (I stayed 2 months on it). exactly NEVER wanted to have sex ever again!!!! My bf and I had the best sexual chemistry and the Nuvaring made me soooo dry and burning and then I got an infection, it felt like a little needle everytime I went to pee and the doc did tests and said it was a yeast infection but it required more than over the counter meds (like Canesten), but a stronger prescription vaginal cream and a pill (a one time pill to take with orange juice). Nuvaring seriuolsy affected my health and relationship and the memories still make me cry. I am very angry at the fact that women have to try them at their own risk (and yes yes I know it doesn't affect ALL women this way but many and they have to pay a high price). Nuvaring destroyed my ability to want and have sex (and severelly affected my mental health- ie mood swings, irritablitly severe anxiety, feelings volatile + aggressive, depression, fatigue, etc etc etc) and I am still dealing with this psycholocically and emotionanlly.

you are alone to pick up the pieces in the end.

... I would def. take the psycho craziness over no sex drive.

to say this you obvioulsy do not realize the serious pain and consequences of going "psycho crazy"... it's not a joke.... being "psycho crazy" (see my posts and other women's posts for more details on what it means) is painful and horrible and it's NOT AN OPTION. I never wish it upon anyone...

• 2 years later...

I thought I loved the NuvaRing, until I tried to have sex with my husband. I couldn't get aroused, and in addition to my antidepressant that lowers my libido to begin with...I wasnt in the mood at all. My sex drive came back after I removed it, thank god. But I'm using the NuvaRing at the moment again until my appointment to have an IUD inserted.

• 1 month later...

i thought i was the only one having this problem! i goggled nuva ring lowering sex drive and i saw your post.! im 19 years old and iv always had the sex drive of a sexual teenage jock male and a month ago i got on the nuva ring because i wanted to be safe with my amazing boyfriend. but lately i been so tired all the time. even when im working out im tired. im always in a weird mood i am more insecure about my body and its weird cause ive never been so insecure where it stops my sex life. my boyfriend recently brought to my attention how our sex life is not there anymore that he doents need to have it all the time but lately hes feeling as if im not attracted to him or that im becoming distant and i never meant to come off that way and its exactly what you said im not into the sex nor do i enjoy it as much as i use to. i thought it was all me that i had changed i never onced thought it could be the bc.! so no its deafintaly not you. this nuva ring has its down falls as well and to your question id rather be psyco then lost of sex drive. lol

ps. thank you for posting this you have relived me of some of the stress n sadness i felt before finding this site.

Hi girly,

I really am happy that other girls have this too,

Since my ex broke up with me a year ago i didnt use any form of pil anymore....

And guess what happened i fond my sex drive more then ever! Feel horny a lot of times... I wish i was feeling like this with my ex, but i didnt.... Now i hate the idea that my ex thinks i was boring, while i was not at all but i had this terrible los of confidence and feeling sexy when i used this pills... I think it killed my sexdrive for a long time! I feel confident, my boobs feelmbetter, my * * * * * gets wetter, i hate to say it but its a lot better since. Now. Need to find a guy where i really wanna be with ;-)

• 10 months later...

Hey!

I'm a 23 year old male, my girlfriend and I have been together for just shy of a year. And have always had a beyond amazing sex life.

She switched to Nuva Ring a little over a month ago. And before that, we had sex 4-6 times a week. Anywhere at anytime. Something I feel young adults should and do have with each other.

In the past month, we have had sex 3 times ... Yes... 3. We are engaged and have big dreams. So I know she wasn't cheating or anything of the matter, plus we do live together an I'd notice a change in behavior. Being a young male. I went through the check list. " is it me?" "Did I say or do something?" "Am I loosing my touch?" "Had she found someone better?". Yeah, pathetic. Guys are giant insecure babies when it comes to the woman they love. Also being a male, frustration gets the best of me, we had hour long fights on why she isn't wanting to do anything...not make out or cuddle. Nothing.

Finally realizing that there has to be more to this. I research this. And I see everyone's own experiences sound a lot like mine. She's ALWAYS tired, she isn't in the mood ever. The times we did have sex it was boring and she would say she was hurt after.

This in my head has to be the problem.

Thank you all for your stories, it may in fact saved my relationship.

I hope this does save your relationship. I discovered this too late. I researched the Nuva Ring the day after we broke up and by the time she snapped back to normal, she thought it was because she left me, not because of the hormones. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I was on Nuvaring and had...I don't know if I'd say low sex-drive, but rather, difficulty with self-lubrication and when I'd feel turned-on, I had difficulty getting it to "go" anywhere. Like, I'd want to have sex emotionally and physically, but my body didn't seem to respond adequately.

However, I stopped taking Effexor (an antidepressant) and noticed a major change after that. So I think my issue was the Effexor. Might there be something else causing your changes?

However, I did turn into an overly emotional raging crazy around when I started NR, which of course only got worse when I went off the anti-depressant, so I don't know what to do about that...I think I'm pretty much sans-boyfriend now because of that. =/

So yeah, I think unfortunately any drug can affect us differently and adversely, and it's not always easy to say it's definitely the drug. But I personally would take back going on NR or at least stopping my anti-depressant, because being emotionally unstable is way worse for you and your relationship than some sexual dysfunction. Just my opinion though, you gotta decide for you which is worse!

• 1 month later...

I wish I could answer your question. I chose not to have any birth control.

I lost my sex drive, became super dry, my PMS got worse (i made a scene about not matching plates during the dinner), I gained 40 Lbs, and was ruining my love life with my bf due to acute PMS syndrome and than my personal indifference confused me about my feelings toward him. I couldn't get excited and hardly felt an orgasm. And it is nothing like me. I stopped taking it after 6 months of being on NR (which is long considering the side effects). I still have my emotions dulled. I am 25, and just finished with college. I was assigning my loss of sex drive due to great amount of stress. But yet, this is also not a reason. Just two years ago I was crazy in love and was more emotional than I could ever remember myself despite of the school stress.

After stopping taking it, my sex drive got a little better. I am still concerned though with the permanent effects.

Everyone is effected differently, I personally have to be VERY careful bc if I'm off by even a day, I bleed like crazy. I do still have a VERY high sex drive, I am currently single and have a FWB and I'm on the ring. I have noticed that for myself, when I take it out I get way more wet, it's also safer to take it, assuming that you remember to put it back in, because... well, I'll just say that after having sex with one guy, I found it under my bed. We were on the bed the entire time, I'm not sure how it got under it. But anyway, if you feel like it is effecting you negatively, try something else. Not every BC is right for everyone, and not every one is wrong for everyone. I have friends who love the shot and friends who swear it should be discontinued. I suggest finding an OBGYN who is willing to sit down with you, discuss the types of hormones in different birth controls, and to come up with a solution that will allow you to have a high sex drive and low cramping/grumpiness. I found a doctor who took a full hour to see me, she is a winner and I won't go to anyone else while she is still an option. Remember, if your paying for the appointment, you should be given the time you are paying the doctor for.

5 Health Benefits Of Sex | Richrain...
5 Health Benefits Of Sex | Richrainbows

Archived