How do you keep yourself from envisioning your ex with another person?

I've been broken up with my ex for about 3 months now. We have had NC since our breakup in Jan. We broke up after 10 years of being together after I found out he had cheated. I know I can never trust him again and know in my heart that we can't be together again but I still love him and think about him everyday. I can't help but also think about him being with another person. How do I get these images out of my head?

Well I think the only way to get them out of your head is to stop concerning yourself with him. I mean the honest reality is you aren't a part of his life anymore so he's going to do what he's going to do... and it should make no difference to you. I know you feel betrayed, and believe me I know the thoughts of this are tough but, just have to tell yourself it doesn't concern you anymore.

You have to stop focusing on him and what hes doing and focus on yourself and what you need to make yourself happy. GL. =).

I've been out of a relationship for 3 months and it's hard not to think about if my ex is with someone else. 3/4 of me doesn't care, 1/4 of me, it stings a little. But 100% of me knows it's bound to happen sooner or later, and accepting that has gone a long way. And sooner or later I'll find someone else too. Someone who treats me RIGHT!

But in addition to accepting it, fill the empty spaces of your day with things that drown thoughts of your ex out. Nothing's better than doing something and "being in the zone", where you can't even hear someone else talking to you, you're so into it.

Hi again, Junebug

Ultimately, time will be your healer and this stuff will slowly fade away until eventually you won't really care. Of course that doesn't help right now when your emotions are still so raw - you are still emotionally invested to some extent.

When relationships end, even quite bad ones, there is often a tendency to glamourise what you had - to put your ex on a pedestal, and to focus on only the good that you had. And of course, it is only natural to worry and wonder about them being with someone else.

But you have to knock him off that pedastal. He had little or no respect to treat you so awfully - people like this tend to be pretty selfish. And so what if he meets someone else? He will likely continue to lie, cheat, manipulate and disrespect any new person so I would tend to feel sorry for them.

I know it is so easy to write this stuff down - but keep walking forward if you can - remember, one day at a time.

Mark

Its like a horror movie. After the 1000th time you watch it, its not so scary anymore. That was probably the worst month of my life, knowing what was most likely happening at that very moment and being helpless to do anything about it. I was with my ex for 8 yrs. Been broken up for 6-7 months, you will get over it in time. Its still not a pleasant but I care a lot less. Just like everyone on here says, hang in there keep moving forward and it gets easier

Archived