It's not my girlfriend, it's my parents

issacgathers

Hi guys (and girls), I have a really large problem and was wondering your opinions on the matter. I have a girlfriend, we've been dating for almost a year, but it's been very hard for the both of us since my family doesn't accept her because I'm Caucasian and she's Chinese. They think that I can do better and just leave her. I am in love with her more than anything, and so is she with me. We dont' want to run off and get married or anything extreme or anything like that, we just want to hang out and go places but my family literally forbids me, and treats me like im 5 (I'm almost 20 by the way). and if I don't do what they say then they will throw me out of their house and stop paying for my college. I'm still in college and don't have a job, so leaving home or being kicked out is a very hard thing to do at the moment. Also, they said that if I leave, they will dis-own me as their son and drop all ties with me, so they're making me choose between my girlfriend or my family. I am not choosing but hopefully you see my problem. My mother is over protective and wont even try and tolerate my girlfriend, plus she's never met her before because she refuses to. It's a bit of a mouthful, I know but it's my situation and any advice what to do is greatly accepted.

Damn - that's a tough one. Because you're still living at home, and they are paying for your school, definitely don't give that up. It's really unfortunate they don't give her a chance. Even though I highly doubt they'd disown you, it sounds like more of a threat, it not worth the risk right now.

Best advice I can give, is to stop talking about her to your family that doesn't accept her, or your relationship. Don't bring her up to them anymore. But don't let go of her, because of your parents own ignorance. Just do things outside of your house. Hang out at her place.

I never talk about her in front of them because they love to cause fights becuase of it, yet they love to bring her up and say horrible things about her. The worst part about this is that I can't even go anywhere because I live with very strict, I mean VERY strict people, and despite my age, am not allowed to leave the house and see her without being threated of being kicked out. It's so ridiculous and frustrating.

Archived