Should I call the SPCA?

rocio

There is a cat who has been living in a corner in my underground parkade for at least the past week. Someone put a cardboard box with a blanket inside and left him there with little food or fresh water. I've been checking in at least a couple times a day, and the only food I've seen him being given are a couple raw hot dogs and some stale bread dropped in water. But most of the time there is no food or water.

I've been giving him fresh water and real cat food (he eats it like he's never seen food in his life). I think he's scared, cold and lonely.

Should I call the SPCA? I'm not able to take him (husband doesn't like cats) but I really sense that he's unhappy. Perhaps his owners went away on vacation and left him to be cared for by others? Or someone found him and wanted to take care of him, but didn't want him in their home? Either way, it's clear that he's not receiving proper care. If I call the SPCA, can they pick him up? (I'm not sure if they can take him off "private" property like that.) And, will he spend the rest of his life unhappy in a cage at the SPCA? What are the chances that he will find a good home with people who love him at the SPCA?

If you call them they can check out the situation and make sure the mite gets looked after properly, if he's guzzling his food down it doesn't sound like anyone's a designated carer for him.

Please do call them - others will leave it thinking it's not their business or someone else will do it!

Most people I know get their kitties from charities who check out if they'll be suitable owners, of course sometimes it doesn't work out like this but at least it gives him a chance!

Aww.. hope he's ok, I'd definetely call them - there are a lot of people that still abandon their cats even though they can take them to a shelter where they'll be looked after and cared for - it's beyond me how anyone can leave a pet like that.

Give him a nice plate of meat and a kiss from me! xx

You should - if the cat is not getting proper food and water, you should call them. or adopt him But you have to know, if they pick him up, he most likely will be euthanasized.

omg, you almost made me cry! I can't do that to my new little buddy.

I'm posting an ad in the classifieds.

Awww....poor cat.

I think it's great that you are feeding him and giving him water. I think trying to find hme a home yourself is wonderful.

How is the weather? Is it warm enough for him to live comfortably outside until he finds a home? If not- then the SPCA would be the way to go.

Next week it's supposed to go below the freezing point at night. If I can't find a good home for him by then, I'll call the SPCA.

I hope you can find him a home! I have no clue from where you reside, but if were close to me and I didn't have the world's most possessive cat, I'd take him in.

Good luck and good for you for stepping up to help this kitty out!

Call them!!!! It breaks my heart. My kitty is one I rescued who was living behind an office I used to work at. Kudos to you for caring enough to feed it and to take the time to get involved. If you don't call them it will most certainly die from starvation, mistreatment or the elements, if you call them it at least has a chance at finding a good home.

Cat's are generally pretty self sufficient if they aren't starving or freezing. Finding someone to adopt him would be the ideal solution but if you can't find anyone then the next best thing you can do is to buy it food and set up some kind of shelter for it next to wherever you feed it. It still is in danger of running out in the street but cat's are pretty survival oriented for the most part. Hopefully you can find a home that will take it in. Good luck and thanks for helping the little guy!

No definatly does not sound right.

You should report it, its not fair on the animal. Thats really incredibly kind what you have been doing.

If that is the case that the owners are on vacation, then they will post search posters if they come back and the animals missing.

i have three cats. and personally id be gratefull if someone reported mine if it was in them conditions,

it better to regret doing something, then spending your life regreting to have not done it.

Good luck.

I'm happy to report that a lovely lady from my place of work responded to an internal classified ad and took the cat.

She contacted a cat rescue she knew personally and they said they already had many cats and very few homes and it was better if she could keep the cat. However they are paying her vet bills and have vet appointment for my little buddy tomorrow morning.

If you guys hadn't suggested it I would not have thought of trying to find a home for it.

Thanks!

I'm happy to report that a lovely lady from my place of work responded to an internal classified ad and took the cat.

She contacted a cat rescue she knew personally and they said they already had many cats and very few homes and it was better if she could keep the cat. However they are paying her vet bills and have vet appointment for my little buddy tomorrow morning.

If you guys hadn't suggested it I would not have thought of trying to find a home for it.

Thanks!

Awww, that makes me so happy!!!

Thanks!

That's great! Good going!

Thanks!

That's great! Happy to hear that it all ended up fine!

Learn English Via Listening | Begin...
Learn English Via Listening | Beginner Level | Lesson 6 | My First Pet

Archived