What is wrong with animal shelters?

deaxtime2

We went today to look for a new cat. We have a dog and cat. Our other cat died about 2 months ago from old age.

We get to the shelter we pick out a cat, they make us fill out forms the usual jazz. They come back and tell us we can't adopt they say our pet to pet living space is too small? We live in 3200 sq ft house.

They wouldn't tell me what the ratio is but it just too small. I could understand if we lived 1 bedroom apt and 6 cats already but we don't. They didn't even ask us how many people are living in house, so we could have 15 people living in the house, but you know 1 dog and 2 cats need more than 1000 sq feet each for themselves. But we will keep them caged up in little 1x1 cells cause that is enough living space for them here while they are at the shelter.

Seems odd to me has anyone heard of this?

I've heard of this sort of thing. I've never personally tried to get a pet through a shelter, but I've heard all sorts of stories of being denied a pet for the stupidest irrational reasons.

This needs to be stopped somehow. That poor kitty definitely deserves a nice home instead of a cage

Animal rescue people are (generally, with exceptions) a very odd "breed"... They're just different. I'm very active in the dog world, and meet a LOT of rescue people. Some are great. Others seem to be a couple sandwiches short of a picnic.

I have a friend who had a hard time adopting a dog because he has a full time job, and the dog he wanted "needed" someone around all the time. We basically went in the back door and lied, and the dog now has a fantastic home with him, and is his best friend. She didn't "need" someone around all the time either. She simply "needed" home-alone training, a chew toy full of peanut butter, and some patience.

I don't get it. There's a HUGE pet overpopulation problem, and if you aren't allowed to adopt, you're just going to go buy a puppy or kitten anyway. I think some rescues need smacked.

Best advice is to just try another shelter. Good luck!

I live in a one-bedroom apartment and have two cats. The Humane Society near me was more than ready to let me adopt another one. What is up with the one near you? I ended up not adopting another cat because it would have been too crowded with three, but it was MY decision, not theirs.

Learn English Via Listening | Begin...
Learn English Via Listening | Beginner Level | Lesson 6 | My First Pet

Archived