why do people use dating sites?

Elsewhere

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People should know when they're looking at photos on someone's profile that they're going to be more flattering than the reality. That's just a given.

Not in my experience. I've had both situations happen several times - girls who looked better in pictures, and girls who blew away my expectations and looked much better in person.

Not in my experience. I've had both situations happen several times - girls who looked better in pictures, and girls who blew away my expectations and looked much better in person.

Whenever I've posted photos I've made sure they were accurate but I would always assume the ones I was looking at were better than reality. Better to be pleasantly surprised than sadly disappointed.

Whenever I've posted photos I've made sure they were accurate but I would always assume the ones I was looking at were better than reality. Better to be pleasantly surprised than sadly disappointed.

That's definitely the mindset to have - I was just pointing out that it's not always the case. Some people photograph well, others poorly.

Is it *that* difficult to crop a photo?

I have seen many many posts on this forum alone that says those who post cropped photos appear to lazy to take one by themselves.

So it goes both ways. I have seen cropped photos and i will tell you the FIRST thing that enters my mind is this loser just took a photo with his recent ex and cropped her out.

I think the cropped photos invoke that kind of feeling for many.

I find it a strange redflag to have that the person is posting shots of them by themselves since most sites that offer online dating advice STRONGLY suggest single shots instead of group shots or pics with others.

This is likely why you see so many profiles with singular photos. They are listening to the advice given by many people to include sometimes the site itself's suggestions for a crisp and clear profile.

Well ghost most guys do not have as much ease in picking up chlcks as you do and they need some extra resources. LOL

oh geez. what happens when socially inept people meet? still need those 'in-person' skills. not that everyone online is socially inept.

i don't advocate online dating anything. i will always stick to that.

Why do you say so so strongly, ghost? Just wondering...as I posted above I have a lot of male friends who attach stigmas to online dating, so I wonder why you so strongly oppose it?

For some of us its more than not having 'in person' skills....I don't meet women since my life is very busy with work, friends and I dont meet them though work or friends, so its a tool to MEET people. And some guys (me included) find it easier to start a conversation if I at least know the girl is single, possible interested, etc. than randomly on the street. We dont all have that skill.

oh geez. what happens when socially inept people meet? still need those 'in-person' skills. not that everyone online is socially inept.

Ghost, what i am saying is

1) you go out a lot and you are social, you obviously have had no issue meeting people and

2) women seem to gravitate toward you, based on your posts, thus it makes it harder for you to understand that some guys do not have any of this and never get a female gravitating toward them

Of course one ALSO has to get out there and socialize to learn skills. But in order to meet enough single people in which to 'practice' these skills they can use online dating as a resource to add to the pool of people to date.

Ghost online dating doesn't mean you are dating the person online only. LOL You MEET them online then take it offline quickly and when you do that the interacitons are NO different then if you met them out in public.

I am not suggesting they meet women on line and keep it online for several weeks or months. You message a girl from a site, if the two of you seem to share common interests and like the photos you see then you go out for a meet up. You do this all within a week or less and you don't fall into losing online communication as a crutch.

maybe i go out enough i have no idea why the internet is necessary. i met a lot of people. sometimes i meet noone at all. maybe it's because i'm not actively looking. people in online dating ARE looking for someone. if i meet someone i meet someone. i'll hit on a hot girl in public and if she has a bf she has a bf. i don't need a website to tell me she's single.

maybe i go out enough i have no idea why the internet is necessary. i met a lot of people. sometimes i meet noone at all. maybe it's because i'm not actively looking. people in online dating ARE looking for someone. if i meet someone i meet someone. i'll hit on a hot girl in public and if she has a bf she has a bf. i don't need a website to tell me she's single.

Well as we've said, apparently youve got skills some of us dont. I'd be interested to hear 'how' you hit on hot girls in public, etc. and translate it into getting a number, getting a date (and yes I know you "talk to them" but I'm looking for more specifics...).

I meet people too, but since its farly limited in who, online opens more doors. If you're doing fine without it, theng ood for you. But for some people it apparently is a useful tool, so I was wondering why you are so opposed to it.

maybe it was the way i was raised. i love person to person interaction. perhaps it's because when i see someone in person, i can see other factors than a picture and a description. i can see the whole package.

If a person wants to use online dating, that's fine but I still think they should seize opportunities to meet people in other ways too. I think a lot of people that use online dating do so because they are afraid of rejection. It's easier to be rejected online through an email or being ignored than it is to be rejected face to face when approaching someone in person. A lot of people take rejection personally when they shouldn't. Everyone gets rejected sometimes. Even a guy that most people consider "hot". It doesn't matter how funny, nice, sweet, smart, attractive or how ANYTHING anyone is. There are always going to be people that just don't think so, don't like you or flat out aren't interested.

I was a little embarassed about telling people when I started using link removed, but people don't really judge you for it, some of my friends jokingly made fun of me for it, but thats what friends do. In fact when I came out with it, one of my friends also confessed to using a different site. Alot of people out there are doing it. I think most people use dating sites because it is difficult to meet people somtimes. I am done college, work all the time (and I learned my lesson a long time ago not to date at work), and have never been one to approach a random girl at a bar, so I thought it was something I should try. Plus most of the girls I do meet are all wrong for me.

I was a little embarassed about telling people when I started using link removed, but people don't really judge you for it, some of my friends jokingly made fun of me for it, but thats what friends do. In fact when I came out with it, one of my friends also confessed to using a different site. Alot of people out there are doing it. I think most people use dating sites because it is difficult to meet people somtimes. I am done college, work all the time (and I learned my lesson a long time ago not to date at work), and have never been one to approach a random girl at a bar, so I thought it was something I should try. Plus most of the girls I do meet are all wrong for me.

all of the girls on the internet are right for you?

your male friends don't need to know you were on a dating site. There are things in life you don't tell your male friends and being on a dating site is one of them.

your male friends don't need to know you were on a dating site. There are things in life you don't tell your male friends and being on a dating site is one of them.

why not? it's helping so many people isn't it? share the wealth.

why not? it's helping so many people isn't it? share the wealth.

Guys are not supposed to discuss certain things, that's just life. It'sd things in life my male friends will never ever know like

I meet girls online

I like to watch Three's Company

That's not GUY talk.

why not.. thats what bros are for too help eachother..

I have never used online dating before.. i dont see whats wrong with it...

but personaly i find it easier just to go out in the world.. and find girls that way... you can feel a person out better that way... you can waste days to weeks talking online and when you meet in person you might not even click...

Guys are not supposed to discuss certain things, that's just life. It'sd things in life my male friends will never ever know like

I meet girls online

I like to watch Three's Company

That's not GUY talk.

my buddy uses online dating. i give him crap about it. he defends it. so what. THAT'S guys talk. i tell my friends i watch south park. they think it's ridiculous because it's a cartoon. so what? THAT'S guy talk. try not to tell me how to be a man bro.

why not.. thats what bros are for too help eachother..

I have never used online dating before.. i dont see whats wrong with it...

but personaly i find it easier just to go out in the world.. and find girls that way... you can feel a person out better that way... you can waste days to weeks talking online and when you meet in person you might not even click...

Well I can say for me I never did it so it's very uncomfortable approaching woman in public. I usually need a reason to say something like her dropping something or her getting splashed by a truck or standing in a long line. Not just walking up to a girl on the street

Well I can say for me I never did it so it's very uncomfortable approaching woman in public. I usually need a reason to say something like her dropping something or her getting splashed by a truck or standing in a long line. Not just walking up to a girl on the street

socially inept then? online is your vice from this.

understandable... but practice makes perfect...

just push yourself... talk to a girl in a bookstore, bar, whatever... who cares if you get shutdown... it will get easier with each girl.. before you know it. it will be easy as walking..

by not trying and standing back.. your lossing anyway.. so really you only have something to gain by approching and trying...

my buddy uses online dating. i give him crap about it. he defends it. so what. THAT'S guys talk. i tell my friends i watch south park. they think it's ridiculous because it's a cartoon. so what? THAT'S guy talk. try not to tell me how to be a man bro.

Well thats surprising because I try not to be the JOKE of the crew by volunteering unnecessary information.

Archived