just missed interview, what should i do i really needed the job

luke2005

hi all,

just need some advice i have really messedup i was supposed to have had an interview an hour ago, i started to make my way there and i got stuck in traffic, i was goijng to be ten minutes late, i was so stupid and thought there was no chance of getting it because i was going to be late so i turned the car around and drove home, im now really regretting it i feel so stupid i really needed that job i really did, i know i should of left more time before i went but i dont know if my nerves got the better of me. to make things worse i never called them. what shall i do, call them and tell them i bumped my car, or i broke down, or just try to forget about it and move onto the next one?

You could be honest. You were stuck in traffic and made the mistake of giving up because you thought that they probably weren't going to hire you if you were so late. But you really want the job and will be on time if they give you a second chance.

Don't lie. They will know and you will definitely not get the job in that case.

Just tell them your car broke down if you don't feel the truth is enough. I doubt they'd question it!

On second thought, that seems pretty plausible. Your tire blew out & your clothes got all dirty when you put the spare on, so you had to go home and change. Just make sure you show up with a donut on.

Yeah you should have provided for much more time to get there so let this be a lesson learned. Get crafty call them and tell them you had a slight accident (fender bender) on your way which just got resolved now. This is your only excuse that would account for you not letting them know in advance. Ask if it would be possible to reschedule the interview for another day and offer that youd be willing to take a taxi if they want to see you right away.

My opinion is a little different.

With all the people out of work now, people hiring will be looking for any excuse to rule someone out, and by being a no-show at the interview I think the odds are pretty bad that you will seriously be considered for the job at this point even if you have a good excuse for it. I personally would try to use the time you would have spent interviewing for this job working on finding another interview instead.

Good luck. I hope you find a good job soon!

Honestly no matter what you say, I think you are pretty much out of luck right now. I know if I am interviewing someone & they are a "no show" they are out, no matter what their excuse is, especially in this economy. You have NO idea how many people used the "fender bender" excuse.

This should be a lesson learned, leave early...extra early! For each & every interview you have in the future.

I guess if you want to say something, then maybe tell a lie - like the fender bender & see what happens, but dont be surprised if they dont reschedule you.

I think you should call an apologize, see if you can get another interview, but I wouldn't expect one if I were you.

Call for the sake of apologizing because you did inconvenience them. By not showing up, you showed them a lack of respect.

In the future, you should call them in your car and say you are going to be late because of traffic. That way they can get on with their day until you arrive.

I think you should call an apologize, see if you can get another interview, but I wouldn't expect one if I were you.

Call for the sake of apologizing because you did inconvenience them. By not showing up, you showed them a lack of respect.

In the future, you should call them in your car and say you are going to be late because of traffic. That way they can get on with their day until you arrive.

I agree with everything said here ^^.

Also, I don't think that you should lie, because it could too easily backfire.

Just say that something came up, and you're terribly sorry that you were unable to call sooner.

Oh, and if you're lucky enough to get another interview, leave an hour early, and wait outside if you have to!

I think if you tell them the truth you'll only make yourself look like a chicken when it comes to a little bit of pressure or stress which is not the kind of person an employer desires. They also wouldn't want a liar but in this case you've got to fib to get called back for the interview again. I'd go with bumping the car excuse as if you say you got a flat tire or the car broke down, you could have easily phoned them at that moment to tell them. If you bumped your car you'd be freaked out with trauma and could easily forget to call them!

This is the advice I most closely agree with.

The entire thing from start to finish was irresponsible. l know it is water under the bridge now but if you needed this job THAT bad I am not sure why you didn't leave a minimum of a half hour early (that way a ten min hold up wont hurt) or even an hour earlier. Traffic hold up can affect anyone - something that important you leave with plenty of cushion. Then to turn around adn GO BACK HOME? Talk about taking the path of least resistance. You wasted their time and your time.

I hate to suggest it but i say tell them you were in a fender bender because if you tell the truth they will think you are not at all responsible. You probably won't get a second chance anyway because most places are too swamped with candidates and they likely will fill it with the first round of interviews they already scheduled. Lesson learned the hard way here - in the future if you dont leave with an hour or a min of half hour cushion time just expect to not get the job.

Even just getting an interview these days is priceless, I would strongly advise you do eveyrthing in your power next time to get there. This one is hard to make any legit excuses for.

What on earth made you turn around? Are you crazy? In this job market you stay stuck in traffic as long as it takes. Make whatever excuse you want to them, I think you blew it. Next time, follow through with it, no matter what happens. That is the mard of a good employee.

I've been a little late before. The key was I called on the way and explained that the traffic was real bad, so they knew when I'd get there. Not ideal, but they understood and didn't hold it against me. If you no showed, you're probably out of luck.

Leave extra early for anything that is time sensitive, like an interview or meeting. Never ever assume traffic will be OK, because chances are it won't be OK if you assume it will be OK. You learned something either way, so that's good.

Archived