How does one get it all done or stay focuses on tasks at hand?

SleepingKitten

I have this terrible habit lately of putting off stuff I know I need to get done.

Get er Done.. I wish I had that mentality. I think I've been like this for a while b/c there's so much stuff and stress going on in my life now. in 3 days one of our family members would of died 3 years ago.. one of our pets just died last year... another family member died...and then for whatever reason, some of the relatives got so rude and nasty to us after the death of our kinfolk...

I just cannot figure out people. I swear../

but now.. I have some free time and I need to use it wisely, not stupidly.

Should I make out a list or what? I know people who do this, they are so organized. Me, unless it's something really important, like my job or something safety related I can be so very unorganized, esp. when it's something I do not want to do.

I think I have ADD... could always focus on stuff I was into fine, but things I didn't want to do.. well, at times it can be procrastination central with me..

Like I want to be one of these people who get things done early in the day, and the rest of the day I can play... Me I do just the opposite. Part of me thinks it's b/c I'm NOT a morning person... but other people can get stuff accomplished during the early part of the day.. why cannot I?

I find making lists and scratching things off makes me feel accomplished and that I am doing something worthwhile.

I make lists of movies to watch, a book list, small tasks and chores, larger things, etc.

There's a sense of satisfaction of being able to scratch things off that list!

One specific suggestion would be to make small lists, the big lists can be overwhelming. Pick 2 or 3 things to do tomorrow morning..write them down. If they are larger projects, like rip apart the kitchen and clean, well break that down further into tackling the stove and fridge tomorrow, the cupboards the next day, etc.

I tend to procrastinate when I have alot I need to do.

I reward myself as well for getting things done, or doing them under pressure.

For instance, say its a Thursday evening and Grey's Anatomy comes on at 9..well I bust my buns for two hours so I can be finished for 9.

Or if I get x,y and z done by noon, I can sit back and read for 30 minutes.

I think part of it is being realistic with yourself.

Making big lists are nothing but overwhelming.

Making a master list and then smaller lists off of that will make you feel like you are doing something worthwhile each day and accomplishing those things and what you laid out for that day..as opposed to staring at a scroll of paper that goes from one end of the room to the other!

I make lists of things I have to do but also add a deadline that is usually "too short".

If you raise your expectations to a less realistic goal and work towards it you're more likely to end up achieving what you wanted in the first place.

That has worked for me at least.

It's still better if you try to get things done during the morning, it's a matter of making it a habit so it's only going to be difficult for you during the first few weeks.

I use Asti's idea of bribing myself with other things. Often.

For small stuff that occurs to me, I send myself an email. For instance, if I think of something at work, I email my home account with the task. Once home I won't let myself read the rest of my messages until I handle the task on the email.

(This ritual is why I don't do email on my phone--I would just ignore everything.)

I force myself to handle important things like paying bills before I'll do anything else that day, then I can call less important things 'optional'. Once I start working the important stuff, I get in a groove and throw in a few optional things. This makes me feel like a good girl. When I feel good, I can accomplish even more. This means I won't beat myself up for the times when I'm a slacker. I still get the essentials done, I'm just less good.

My best,

Cat

Yeah.. lists ARE a good thing. I do feel a sense of accomplishment when I've scratched stuff off my list. I guess I cud text myself also things to get done on a cell phone..

I've heard that before Asti and Cat, that if you get something done you really need to, it's best to reward yourself somehow.

Okay, I'm going to make out my list today. I didn't sleep too good last nite.. I had a small nightmare about my former job, where I was majorly screwed over... but I need to start getting my ducks in a row.

I think that's part of my problem. definitely not a morning person.

I usually don't start functioning well until mid afternoon....

[...] I think that's part of my problem. definitely not a morning person.

I usually don't start functioning well until mid afternoon....

Not a morning girl, here, either. Biggest thing that helped me add energy and hours to my life during school was to start popping out of bed and walking the block before anything else--except the bathroom.

From that I started waking up feeling some weight loss and muscle tone, so I kept it up and extend the time and distance little by little.

Before long, I was doing good radio or books on tape and covering miles--then I'd run around town to kill off my errands. I realized I'd have all my 'work' done by the time I'd normally just be getting out of bed.

I also lost 3 dress sizes and formed great muscle cuts. That sure keeps one motivated!

My best,

Cat

that sounds like a great idea.. i tend to like exercising mo betta in the PM hours, but I noticed this summer, I was walking in the morning and I lost about 10 lbs in only a month!

The books on tape thing, don't have an Ipod.. can you get them via cassette? Yes, I still have a cassette player! LOL...

And I know what you are saying cat...It tis a splendid feeling to know you have done x, y, AND z by the time you'd normally just be popping out of bed..

Stayed in bed rather longer than usual this am.. I'm rather stressed out... I had a bad last few weeks. I actually dreamt I was dropping off my pets in my house.. which was a new place... ((Weird)) what was really was that besides my cat & dog I also had a pet LION!!

I left my lion in the car, dropped off the cat & dog to my residence, and then couldn't find my car again...

Anyone start having strange and a bit disturbing dreams when you are feeling troubled?? The rest of the dream was not so bad.. dreamt I was back in the islands in the latter part of the dream...

Maybe what I really need to do is start to go bed earlier than I usually do... I get this feeling that lately with the daylight savings time changing, I'm just so worn out so early in the evening.. 9 pm.. which is so early for me...

Well, I didn't stay up late last nite, but I did get alot of stuff done late last nite..

I'm sort of an elf this way! LOL

I just feel so much better going to bed, knowing I got all this stuff done, rather than waking up and thinking, Oh my God! I got all this stuff to get done this AM!

That bothers me more.. well, I guess, I will just have to go with my biological clock.. Never been a morning girl... I don't know if I'll ever be one.. Do you think that when you are born determines whether you are a night or morning person?

Know that me and two of my siblings are both born late at nite and both of us prefer to stay up at nite and aren't too sprightly in the AM!

Another advocate of lists!!!

Make one the night before

Wake up and drink some coffee as you get started

Don't turn on the TV or computer

Just keep moving and don't stop

It will feel really good as you start checking things off. I love days like this.

Archived