How to get involved in learning a fighting discipline?

I think I'd like to get involved in learning a fighting technique. I'm a small guy, 5'5" and 24 years old. I've heard it can help build confidence (which I need), and it can't hurt to know how to defend yourself. I am trying to get in better shape (I'm not overweight, just kinda scrawny) I was thinking of something pretty serious, but the group class method of learning to fight doesn't appeal to me. Are there still ways to learn a fighting style one-on-one with a teacher? If so, how much does it usually cost?

One on one tuition would be very expensive, I'd imagine.

If you want to learn a martial art, I'd try a group session anyway, you might like it.

If you want to learn how to fight, try a bouncer's course.

Most martial arts classes I've seen/been to teach you discipline, correct striking techniques, and forms to help you learn those techniques, but unless you get to a high level or skill, it's not very practical. (I did karate ("non-contact", sparring was for points only, kinda like epee fencing) for a year and a half, and it was a lot of fun, as well as good excercise)

Courses like those for bouncers, or full-contact martial arts classes (usually disciplines like kung-fu, judo or jujitsu) focus more on practical fighting skills that will enable you to handle some situations better. The trap is that if you don't have any self control, you end up seeking out those kind of situations a little more lol.

It really depends on what youre looking for.

There are three disciplines which supply the best well-rounded approach to self-defense in my opinion:

Awareness - how to spot a potentially dangerous situation long before it ever develops

Diplomacy - the art of declining to fight gracefully when awareness missed it's chance

Run Fu - what to do when the first two methods fail

On the topic though, most martial arts instructors I know require enrollment to purchase private lessons. Maybe you could find a college student who's trained and will work for less money.

I want to get into this to. Is it possible to read a course on ju-jitsu to learn it? if u read it so many times u'v memorized the whole thing?

No. It's not about having it memorised in your head, it's about having it memorised in your body. I could read all about yoga, but I would have absolutely none of the benefits. Taking even one class would put me ahead of what I'd learned.

I want to get into this to. Is it possible to read a course on ju-jitsu to learn it? if u read it so many times u'v memorized the whole thing?

It's like a sport. If you read everything there was to know about soccer, or table tennis, you'd still get your butt handed to you by the local under-13s team.

The only thing that really helps is practice, and if you don't have someone experienced to teach you, you'll be learning lazy/bad habits, which will do you noe good.

No. It's not about having it memorised in your head, it's about having it memorised in your body. I could read all about yoga, but I would have absolutely none of the benefits. Taking even one class would put me ahead of what I'd learned.

Exactly.

I am trained in Systema and Krav-Maga. My formal instruction was provided by the military and in my experience with these 2 different combat fighting systems they are something that can be taught on a one to one basis. You will have to be instructed in them by an official instructor.

I would suggest Systema if your in the United States because of the availability of Vladimir Vasiliev. He is an amazing instructor. Last I heard, which was several years ago, he was traveling and teaching seminars.

While Systema and Krav Maga are combat fighting techniques you still learn self discipline, how to attack and subdue if needed, and how to avoid specific attacks, ie knife attacks.

If you would like some further information on Krav Maga I can look up the contact information for one of the instructors who taught us and see if he is still an active instructor. Troop.

Archived