• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do any of you find that you cannot get along with people who do not understand sarcasm, or even with people who come from cultures where sarcasm is not common in everyday expression?

I can get along with most people in general on a surfacey level at least, but I definitely find we will get along MUCH better if they 'get' sarcasm, for sure, and if they don't, its pretty certain we'll never be soulmates of any kind.

It's kinda on my must-haves list.

I admit to feeling at times frustrated by people who don't get that sort of sense of humor, or who find it mean... and naturally I've found myself wondering in turn if *I* am mean, but I really don't think so. I don't feel like a mean person at all.

I agree that it's good to be your own person, and this thread seems to show that there is a fantastic diversity here.

One thing I would say, is that it's good for all of us to check out the way we interact with others occasionally. I have a colleague at work who prides herself on her hard as* attitude etc. That's not how the rest of us see her, however - she is volatile, bad-tempered and unpleasant in her dealings with others. But she sees herself in a totally different light.

It's weird to get a sense of perspective on yourself - but if people comment very negatively on your personality, I think it's worth doing a quick self-audit just to check out if any of these comments are justified (eg "I am strong-minded" - do you ever put down other people's ideas in public? or "I am strong" - are you inflexible in the work place and rigid in your ideas?).

Just a thought!

Archived