If you knew someone who has been exposed to an STD

This is very ignorant thinking! Of course, all STDS are a big risk. Some may not be life-threatening like AIDS, but if you have it and don't get yourself checked out or treated, the long term consequence of that is damaging.

Let's take for example a curable STD such as Chlymadia. It doesn't do you any harm for the time being. But if left untreated in both men and women, it can lead to infertility. And if you have an STD, you have a higher risk of contracting the AIDS virus because your immunity is compromised.

ignorant? if you get tested regularly, it's not ignorant. it really isn't that big of a deal if you protect yourself as much as possible and get regular checkups.

immunity being compromised allows you to get aids easier? never heard that. i know aids brings down your immunity big time. and you don't contract aids. you get hiv first. just some info you might want.

ignorant? if you get tested regularly, it's not ignorant. it really isn't that big of a deal if you protect yourself as much as possible and get regular checkups.

immunity being compromised allows you to get aids easier? never heard that. i know aids brings down your immunity big time. and you don't contract aids. you get hiv first. just some info you might want.

HIV leads to AIDS, I understand that. And not everyone who has HIV has AIDS. But the fact that you have an untreated STD, you open yourself to contracting HIV, and if you didn't get yourself treated for the first STD, you wouldn't certainly go in for an HIV testing - and if you did have the HIV, you could very well have AIDS in the long run.

Just saying.

HIV leads to AIDS, I understand that. And not everyone who has HIV has AIDS. But the fact that you have an untreated STD, you open yourself to contracting HIV, and if you didn't get yourself treated for the first STD, you wouldn't certainly go in for an HIV testing - and if you did have the HIV, you could very well have AIDS in the long run.

Just saying.

so basically never have pleasure is what you are saying. gotcha. lol

No. That's not what I'm saying at all. If you are going to have pleasure, do it with caution, put on a condom! And if you knew you had unprotected sex with someone, go get yourself checked out. Just don't be ignorant thinking that those STDs not with you for life are not a big deal. Because they are. People don't escalate to full blown AIDS cases in a matter of seconds, it takes months for HIV to break down your immunity. And if one was getting themselves checked regularly like you said, then AIDS wouldn't have to be a problem, right? Nor the other STDS out there.

doesn't look like that's what lightdrawer is saying. s/he's saying it's most important to get it checked out in case it leads to something worse. and why suffer longer? it's not even about pleasure.

HIV is pretty bad. it makes you feel really sick.

doesn't look like that's what lightdrawer is saying. s/he's saying it's most important to get it checked out in case it leads to something worse. and why suffer longer? it's not even about pleasure.

Thank you, la'isla.

No. That's not what I'm saying at all. If you are going to have pleasure, do it with caution, put on a condom! And if you knew you had unprotected sex with someone, go get yourself checked out. Just don't be ignorant thinking that those STDs not with you for life are not a big deal. Because they are. People don't escalate to full blown AIDS cases in a matter of seconds, it takes months for HIV to break down your immunity. And if one was getting themselves checked regularly like you said, then AIDS wouldn't have to be a problem, right? Nor the other STDS out there.

okay, you got me wrong. i completely advocated being safe about it. i think people saying that a one night stand is really the only real way people are naive and get stds is ridiculous.

a lot of people have misconceptions about stds. they hear stds and they freak out.

are you guys reading my posts? i said get checked out regularly.

are you guys reading my posts? i said get checked out regularly.

I get a lot of men telling me that. Then come to find out, they're only saying it to end the conversation.

But we have no reason to doubt you except to believe you at this point.

when the symptoms show. can take years and years for that to happen.

Ghost never said don't get checked out. He said if you get tested regularly, it's not a big deal if you catch something curable and get rid of it. It's gross, but actually not a big deal if you get tested for the clap regularly, come up positive, and get on antibiotics. It's just like any other sickness or infection.

okay, you got me wrong. i completely advocated being safe about it. i think people saying that a one night stand is really the only real way people are naive and get stds is ridiculous.

a lot of people have misconceptions about stds. they hear stds and they freak out.

It's both frightening and humiliating because they don't care to educate themselves on it. People have to understand that it happens to everyone and that getting an STD is not something bad of a reflection on your character. I really do respect a person more if he/she knew that they may potentially be exposed to an STD and sought medical attention then those who did nothing about it.

It's both frightening and humiliating because they don't care to educate themselves on it. People have to understand that it happens to everyone and that getting an STD is not something bad of a reflection on your character. I really do respect a person more if he/she knew that they may potentially be exposed to an STD and sought medical attention then those who did nothing about it.

then we are in the same boat. you are arguing like i'm against you. we have the same idea here.

you act like i have 5 stds, don't care, and still spreadin it havin a jolly time. wrong

when the symptoms show. can take years and years for that to happen.

or 3 months.

Ghost never said don't get checked out. He said if you get tested regularly, it's not a big deal if you catch something curable and get rid of it. It's gross, but actually not a big deal if you get tested for the clap regularly, come up positive, and get on antibiotics. It's just like any other sickness or infection.

that's not the problem. he switched it around to make it seem like lightdrawer said not to have any pleasure. not true at all.

then we are in the same boat. you are arguing like i'm against you. we have the same idea here.

you act like i have 5 stds, don't care, and still spreadin it havin a jolly time. wrong

No, but you did say that some STDs are not that big of a deal. When you make it not a big deal, that's when it becomes a big deal.

Anyway, agree, that we have the same idea here about advocating safe sex and educating yourself about STDs that you wouldn't feel too freaked out to go get yourself checked out and make sure that you are all right.

No, but you did say that some STDs are not that big of a deal. When you make it not a big deal, that's when it becomes a big deal.

Anyway, agree, that we have the same idea here about advocating safe sex and educating yourself about STDs that you wouldn't feel too freaked out to go get yourself checked out and make sure that you are all right.

the majority of them are not a big deal if you get one. it sucks, but you take meds for roughly 85% of 'em and it's gone. i'm not saying be proud if you do get one, sleep with everyone and don't protect yourself; just take all necessary precautions, test yourself and be safe about it.

the majority of them are not a big deal if you get one. it sucks, but you take meds for roughly 85% of 'em and it's gone. i'm not saying be proud if you do get one, sleep with everyone and don't protect yourself; just take all necessary precautions, test yourself and be safe about it.

Here, it's the 'not big deal' mentality that most don't go get checked out. They think that the problem will take care if itself and yet, they still go around sleeping with people. I mean, yeah, it's ok if you think you have an STD and you wear condoms and be responsible and all that. Kudos to you. But I guess it's just that it'll bother me, conscience wise, that I have a curable STD and not doing anything about it.

Here, it's the 'not big deal' mentality that most don't go get checked out. They think that the problem will take care if itself and yet, they still go around sleeping with people. I mean, yeah, it's ok if you think you have an STD and you wear condoms and be responsible and all that. Kudos to you. But I guess it's just that it'll bother me, conscience wise, that I have a curable STD and not doing anything about it.

you are twisting my point. stds aren't that big of a deal if you take care of it. getting one isn't the end of the world. people hear the term 'std' and they can make assumptions or act like it is the end of the world. at no point did i say go sleeping around with an std cause it's not big deal. not once. it will take care of itself? when did i say that? by all means if you have an std, get to a doc and get it taken care of. get tested regularly to keep yourself healthy.

i have no clue where you are getting all of this from me saying that if you catch and std it isn't a big deal. it really isn't a big deal as you need to get it taken care of. don't go running around like it's all gravy. never said that.

OK, I apologize if I'm misreading what you mean. I read it that your term 'not big deal' is something you shouldn't worry even if you don't get checked out. I was just trying to correct you that it is a big deal. I mean like you said, it's not the end of the world if they get a curable STD, but do the right thing and get treated.

And they refused to get checked out, would you report them to the appropriate authority? Like the State Health Department?

If it was one that could cause death, yes.

OK, I apologize if I'm misreading what you mean. I read it that your term 'not big deal' is something you shouldn't worry even if you don't get checked out. I was just trying to correct you that it is a big deal. I mean like you said, it's not the end of the world if they get a curable STD, but do the right thing and get treated.

that's what my term 'not a big deal' was referring to. people hear 'yeah, i've had and std' and immediately think, dirty bird or you're a ' * * * * ' or something. not the case. a girl told me she had one and i went and got meds. my doc didn't even waste time testing me. she told me what she had and i got it fixed. i've been tested recently and i'm clean. i just don't see why so many people associate stds with one night stands or things like that. it can happen after months of dating and finally sleeping with someone. the stereotype is kind of annoying and almost ignorant.

a girl told me she had one and i went and got meds. my doc didn't even waste time testing me. she told me what she had and i got it fixed.

That's odd. Your doctor relied on your words and prescribed you the medication without testing you?

That's odd. Your doctor relied on your words and prescribed you the medication without testing you?

Some tests (depending on what it is) don't show right away so it's better to treat a person who has been exposed to the STD early on even if they don't fully develop it rather than waiting around until it becomes a problem then testing them for it and THEN prescribing them meds.

I think it actually is a crime to infect people with HIV on purpose, i saw it on law & order SVU. But i dont think any other std's.Even though some are just as bad as hiv, imo.

If i knew someone was doing that, i'd be really angry. I think its totally wrong. I'd ring the cops and get them to give me as much info on the subject and action i should take. But even then, i dont think much can be done.

It is a crime, in fact. There is a federal law called Title 18, and in order for an individual to be in violation of the statute for protection against HIV he or she must:

(a) have tested positive for HIV.

(b) received notice that he or she tested positive for HIV.

© knowingly donates or sells or transfers bodily fluids, e.g., blood, semen, tissue, organs, for use by another.

The person who was on the receiving end of the fluids doesn't have to have contracted the virus (yet) for a crime to have been committed. It's actually clearly stated that that is NOT a criteria.

Now, in terms of contacting the authorities, it's not really a police crime. The system really is set up for legal action after the fact, which is really ridiculous, in my opinion. In fact, the seemingly best way to do it would be to drag them to a hospital and threaten to sue them if they didn't cooperate...which to me seems a highly unlikely scenario.

As for other STIs (it's not STDs anymore), I am not aware of any other laws that protect against other sexually transmitted infections. I think that most sensible people, if they knew they had an STI, would take care of it as soon as possible. If they were not in that category, they would probably be in the group of people who were convinced by the advice they got from another person, especially with a medical background, to go get treatment.

yep. she told me what she came up positive with and i went and got meds just in case. why would i waste time?

Archived