If you knew someone who has been exposed to an STD

report them to State Health Department? Is this like Gestapo 411 service? Last time I checked we still had some unalienable rights, as much as they are partially already shredded.

Sorry, but I don't think there is anything you can do here except offer advice and they will do what they please with it.

Everyone has the unalienable right to do as they so please. But if they know they have been exposed, yet still prowl the net hoping to meet someone, they are potentially committing a crime (well not literally, but figuratively speaking).

Well, it's not HIV. It's something that can easily be treated with antibiotic. I know it's none of my business, but I think that whether it's our business or not, we still have the responsibility to do the right thing. It's when people (whether the infected or the non-infected) become ignorant that STDs run rampant and can't be controlled.

If you knew you had a disease that could easily be treated with antibiotics, why the hell wouldn't you do it? That's messed up.

I don't think I would do anything. People speculate all the time that people have STDs or must have one because...It's really not my business. I certainly wouldn't have sex with them, that's for sure .

If it concerns HIV, Hepatitis, or HSV (Herpes Simplex Virus) I would absolutely report them to the Center for Disease Control (C.D.C.), or to your state's department of health. There may be very little if anything that they can do because of the laws, but its worth the effort on your part if you can possibly prevent somebody from unsuspectingly getting infected. I understand how you feel like your overstepping your bounds or invading this person's privacy, but if this person knows they may have been exposed and is refusing to find out for sure, they are putting other people at risk and behaving very irresponsible, which is totally not right. People like are this part of the reason that HIV has reached pandemic status in this world. It just gets into the old debate as to who has more rights, those who are infected (or possibly infected) or those who risk becoming infected by having contact with those who are. If you decide not to report this person, please advise them to use protection when having sex. And don't let anyone make you feel bad about reporting this person, remember you are trying to protect people. Best of luck.

I think it actually is a crime to infect people with HIV on purpose, i saw it on law & order SVU. But i dont think any other std's.Even though some are just as bad as hiv, imo.

If i knew someone was doing that, i'd be really angry. I think its totally wrong. I'd ring the cops and get them to give me as much info on the subject and action i should take. But even then, i dont think much can be done.

I believe it is a crime to have unprotected sex with anyone under the knowledge that you have any of a variety of STDs, unless you have expressly informed them. Not sure what is classed as notifyable these days, but aids and hepatitis certainly. I believe there are more.

Purposefully infecting someone can be cause for an assault charge - precedents have been set, but I'm not sure what with.

As for what I would do? I'd do what I could, but that may be nothing. Unless you know who they're dating etc etc, there's little that can be done, save warning your friends.

I would personally have a word to anyone they were involved with - it's like drink driving - completely irresponsible, and with the potential to cause great damage.

i have a friend that refuses to get tested for HIV or syph. because in his mind he doesnt want to know, because that would mean he'd have to be responsible for the people he's infected and then it would make it 'wrong' to withhold that from future sex partners.

I think he is an irresponsible moron.

I've done all i can to convince him that it would be right, and a good decision. but he wont budge.

He doesnt use condoms.

As far as all that goes its out of my hands, the girls who sleep with him have the responsibility to make sure they are safe, to require tests, or condoms. But i cant make them care either. They knowingly engage in the risk with him. And that too is out of my hands.

There is only so much a friend can do.

If you knew you had a disease that could easily be treated with antibiotics, why the hell wouldn't you do it? That's messed up.

I don't think I would do anything. People speculate all the time that people have STDs or must have one because...It's really not my business. I certainly wouldn't have sex with them, that's for sure .

It could be possible that you could have sex with someone they had sex with, without knowing.

I am not sure if I would do anything, maybe force them to see a Dr in some way? I dont understand why this person wouldnt want treatment if its treatable? Maybe they feel they have something else that cant be treated? Maybe they are scared or maybe they dont want it documented? I am not sure....however, if they trusted you enough to tell you. Then they should respect your opinion on getting treatment.

what does an ONS have to do with this? unless i missed something in the thread, i think ONS is no different than someone you have sex with 2 months later. they can both be equally infected.

but would you have the time to see if they are STD-free in their doctor's report if you just met them that night? anyone could lie about being clean, plus even if they had a checkup a few weeks prior, but slept with 5 other people, how can you know that they didn't recently get something from one of those other five ONS?

but would you have the time to see if they are STD-free in their doctor's report if you just met them that night? anyone could lie about being clean' date=' plus even if they had a checkup a few weeks prior, but slept with 5 other people, how can you know that they didn't recently get something from one of those other five ONS?[/quote']

nothing is certain laisla. i was speaking under the notion that because you get to know someone better by waiting, it doesn't make stds go away. you are still at risk.

stds aren't that big of a deal anyways except the ones that are with you for life would suck.

nothing is certain laisla. i was speaking under the notion that because you get to know someone better by waiting, it doesn't make stds go away. you are still at risk.

stds aren't that big of a deal anyways except the ones that are with you for life would suck.

everyone who is sexually active has some sort of risk. the difference is that people can make sex safer by avoiding or minimizing high-risk behaviour. of course anyone who has had sex CAN get an STD somehow, but if someone is not using condoms, having one-night stands, etc. that makes it more likely they could get infected.

for me it's safer to get to know someone, be in a real relationship with them, make sure they are clean (through records) and then do the deed.....versus having a ONS where i can never get the fact of them being clean or not, since i would have only known them for a few hours or days, i'd have to cross my fingers.

everyone who is sexually active has some sort of risk. the difference is that people can make sex safer by avoiding or minimizing high-risk behaviour. of course anyone who has had sex CAN get an STD somehow, but if someone is not using condoms, having one-night stands, etc. that makes it more likely they could get infected.

for me it's safer to get to know someone, be in a real relationship with them, make sure they are clean (through records) and then do the deed.....versus having a ONS where i can never get the fact of them being clean or not, since i would have only known them for a few hours or days, i'd have to cross my fingers.

i understand unprotected behavior increases the risk as ONS do too. i don't need the lecture. i was replying to someone else's post how ONS does not mean you will get an std. that was all. you are taking this to a different level and ultimately off topic.

and is someone knows they have hiv/aids, some authority already knows about it. they can't just guess that. and if someone told me they had something, i wouldn't do anything sexual with them.

but would you have the time to see if they are STD-free in their doctor's report if you just met them that night? anyone could lie about being clean' date=' plus even if they had a checkup a few weeks prior, but slept with 5 other people, how can you know that they didn't recently get something from one of those other five ONS?[/quote']

one night or 6 months it isn't a guarantee that someone is clean. Just because someone has a "clean" sheet doesn't mean they haven't been infected by a disease since their test. Some STDs take some time to show up on a test so if they had sex 1 day prior to being tested of course it isn't going to show up. So regardless it's quite possible to be infected no matter how long you have known someone.

• 1 month later...

This is very ignorant thinking! Of course, all STDS are a big risk. Some may not be life-threatening like AIDS, but if you have it and don't get yourself checked out or treated, the long term consequence of that is damaging.

Let's take for example a curable STD such as Chlymadia. It doesn't do you any harm for the time being. But if left untreated in both men and women, it can lead to infertility. And if you have an STD, you have a higher risk of contracting the AIDS virus because your immunity is compromised.

Archived