I have no motivation

LAYAAN

yes, I have no motivation these days. Ever since my prof. told me that he doesn't think, I'll make it through. I've a lot of pending work. I can't fall asleep at night. I keep waking up. I get bad dreams. I have to study for my boards but I've been procrastinating. My manuscript was turned down by a journal today and I was so down when my prof called me. He was saying something regarding conducting new experiments and I blurted "I'm panicking. When am I gonna graduate if my manuscript keeps getting turned down like this. I don't know how long its gonna take, 2 yrs, 3 yrs." He said "You are acting hysterical." I am normally a calm person but this time my voice was raised.

Everything seems hopeless, meaningless. I don't know if I'll ever get a PhD. I feel so stupid. I feel like I'm just dragging my feet.

Everyone gets papers turned down; I don't know what your subject area is, but in the several different fields that I've submitted over the years, the review process has always been decidedly random, so don't take it personally. If you got useful feedback from the reviewers (not always the case, it must be said), then treat it as a learning experience, revise it, and then submit it somewhere else.

If you need to conduct new experiments, then do. If you don't, then don't. It's ultimately up to you to know how much research you've done, and how well it all fits together, and if there are any gaps that need plugging. Your supervisor doesn't sound terribly helpful; he was probably trying to motivate you by fear, but it sounds like you to do with a bit more positive motivation instead.

Create a plan, a realistic one, and then implement it, one small step at a time. Each day, sit down and think about what needs to be done that day, and break it down further as much as possible. Procrastincation resulting from lack of motivation flourishes on confusion; when people can't do something, or take a long time doing something, or find something difficult, it's almost always because they're actually confused about what it is that they're doing, so they have to think hard about every small step. If you clarify it in advance and solve the small problems first in your mind, so you have a very detailed, almost mechanical plan, you'll find it that much easier to then take the necessary steps, and the process of thinking about will have gotten you into the mood of actually doing things, and distanced you from the distractions.

You can do it.

Very sorry to hear this Tinu.

I have no idea about the Ph.D process but just want to let you know that I understand what you are going through.

Keep truckin.. I am sure you will complete your degree in time. If you need to vent you can always come here

Thank you so much karvala. Your post lifts me up, gives me a hope.

What field are you in? I'm in biomedical sciences PhD. Yes, my advisor doesn't know very much about my project. I studied on my own, read papers, built it with whatever knowledge I had. The reviewers took time to send 6-page worth detailed comments and I'm very thankful for that. I'm rewriting the manuscript now and will send it to another lower-ranking journal.

But I feel overwhelmed, incompetent, inadequate. I've felt this way since day 1 of my grad school. Most of my friends are on antidepressants. I'm not. I walk/jog, go hiking, volunteer to stay mentally fit but sometimes it gets me.

Very sorry to hear this Tinu. I have no idea about the Ph.D process but just want to let you know that I understand what you are going through. Keep truckin.. I am sure you will complete your degree in time. If you need to vent you can always come here

Thank you Gry for being supportive.

You might not have it in your hand right now, but it's surely not the end of the road for you. You have to keep trying. Obtaining a PhD is not an easy goal to achieve and I highly doubt that you are stupid. Look at what you've accomplished thus far. You already have a Masters Degree, I'm assuming, & you are putting your time and effort towards a PhD. You are doing something meaningful with your life. You're doing what you want and chose to do.

Archived