Would you ever consider moving to a new country because of our healthcare system in the US?

Why do you want to be an Expat? Sho...
Why do you want to be an Expat? Should l move abroad? Your checklist.

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL THREAD SO NO POLITICAL ARGUEMENTS!!!!!!

In the US, it is very hard to get health insurance if one does not get it through a job, esp if one has pre-existing conditions. This includes stuff like skin problems, if one has ever taken anti-depression or anxiety meds, asthma, and so on. So, if you lose your job, your only way to get health insurance is through COBRA (which is an extension of your previous health insurance, that is if you had health insurance at your previous job). COBRA is very expensive and only lasts 18 months.

In the current economy people are losing their jobs at an exponentially fast pace and thus also losing their health insurance benefits.

If after a long and fruitless search for full-time employment WITH health benefits (and lots of companies are shedding benefits for their employees as a cost-cutting measure), and you have no luck, would you ever consider moving to a country and establishing residency there, esp if the country has universal-type or cheaper health care?????

Just curious

AND AGAIN, NO THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL argument~

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, and I've been bankrupted by medical bills in the past. I won't go into details why because it gets political.

thanks for your answer and for keeping it NOT political.

I was just curious because I see how bad the economy is getting and how expensive our medical system is. I have been to other countries in the past to visit relatives and have gotten sick before while out of the country and seen doctors and gotten meds and was surprised at how low the cost was.

Right now I am glad I have a job AND medical insurance.

My insurance keeps cutting benefits but so far so good. I focus on living as healthy a lifestyle as I can. I am not happy about picking up costs for those who don't - wish medical insurance companies would do like car insurance and offer discounts for clean living and the like.

My insurance keeps cutting benefits but so far so good. I focus on living as healthy a lifestyle as I can. I am not happy about picking up costs for those who don't - wish medical insurance companies would do like car insurance and offer discounts for clean living and the like.

I know what you mean, every year it seems the insurance company cuts more benefits, makes you pay more out of your paycheck, and the care gets less.

I have asthma so I have to take meds on a consistent basis and even WITH insurance I still pay about $350 every 3 months for four meds. If I didn't HAVE insurance I would be paying about $350/month for just ONE of my meds.

I'm not sure which country you are thinking of, but any country about which I know a bit about the health system, you still need to find employment in order to qualify for the health care if you are a foreigner.

Not in the UK - everyone gets treated here free; of course, the cost to the country is staggering, more than I can get my head around. But it does feel 'safe'; you will get treated here if you fall sick here. I'm not sure about flying in for operations deliberately though - I think that has restrictions. But otherwise, if you have an accident here you get the same care and attention as anyone, no matter what. No need to pay a penny.

Moving countries is quite an undertaking and it needs some specific characteristics in a person to do so that you can be happy. I have moved countries now 3 times and of course I would encourage anyone to do so, but you have to have a very good motivation that will help you through those many hours when you are missing your own culture, when nothing makes really sense, when you are struggling with language barriers etc.

Not in the UK - everyone gets treated here free; of course, the cost to the country is staggering, more than I can get my head around. But it does feel 'safe'; you will get treated here if you fall sick here. I'm not sure about flying in for operations deliberately though - I think that has restrictions. But otherwise, if you have an accident here you get the same care and attention as anyone, no matter what. No need to pay a penny.

Getting emergency treatment is one thing, having an ongoing health insurance for regular control check ups is another.

But this is really a topic where it's difficult not to be political

Moving countries is quite an undertaking and it needs some specific characteristics in a person to do so that you can be happy. I have moved countries now 3 times and of course I would encourage anyone to do so, but you have to have a very good motivation that will help you through those many hours when you are missing your own culture, when nothing makes really sense, when you are struggling with language barriers etc.

that is very true, moving to a different country is a whole new ballgame, esp if you are not familiar with their culture.

I have been to many places around the world and do speak another language fluently so that's why I asked.

It was the public healthcare system (or lack of it) in the US which STOPPED me wanting to emigrate there. The act that I'd considered it at all speaks volumes about how much I like and admire the place, but I realised that I'd grown up with a different value system and wouldn't be able to make the adjustment comfortably.

Getting emergency treatment is one thing, having an ongoing health insurance for regular control check ups is another.

But this is really a topic where it's difficult not to be political

how does it work in other countries where if you are NOT a resident there, you would probably be considered illegal (like we do here), if you had to go get medical services every so often? It probably wouldn't be free, but it would probably be cheaper than it costs here, right?

Do they check for citizenship before you can get care?

If a person had pre-existing conditions or other issues that disqualified them from medical coverage then that be enough incentive to move to another country in order to get medical coverage. Although I am not an expert in the health insurance field I still believe that there are ways to get around the denial of certain treatments that can be attributed to pre-existing conditions or other policy exclusions. Prior to any move I would advise that you speak to a person who is a high degree of knowledge with this subject matter.

I personally would not move just for health insurance coverage, there would need to be other reasons for a move.

If a person had pre-existing conditions or other issues that disqualified them from medical coverage then that be enough incentive to move to another country in order to get medical coverage. Although I am not an expert in the health insurance field I still believe that there are ways to get around the denial of certain treatments that can be attributed to pre-existing conditions or other policy exclusions. Prior to any move I would advise that you speak to a person who is a high degree of knowledge with this subject matter.

I personally would not move just for health insurance coverage, there would need to be other reasons for a move.

True!

Personally I don't see myself ever being able to move from the US, mainly because I'm acclimated to living here since I grew up here.

I just keep hearing the dismal news about the economy, hearing about how out of control health care costs are, and how people are not dealing well with it. It is depressing.

I also know people stay in jobs they hate or dislike because of the benefits, healthcare being one of them.

I have been to many places around the world and do speak another language fluently so that's why I asked.

Traveling to a country and living there are very different experiences. Usually it's quite difficult to predict what might truly cause you problems in another country, unless you really live there. - This is not to say that one country is better than another, but there are simply differences, things you didn't grow up with and can't learn by reading a book.

Usually my first year in a new country I am constantly tired, even if I have spoken the language fluently before moving, since it's a whole new ballgame to learn all the little nuances of the new country/ culture.

So in answer to the OP question, health insurance would not be a sufficient enough reason for me to move countries.

um..... i say yes.... since we have a new prez i am saying that i would like to see how he works things out since that is a big platform for him.... but i would have no problem moving. i like my country, but i think it needs to get its priorities straight...

i could go on but...........................

Archived