Cellulite...

I've got it and just had a long hard look at it in the mirror.

Im afraid I can't do anything about it either. Im very active, in my work and hobbies. I eat very healthily and am far from over weight. I just don't get it.

Has anybody tried anything that worked for them? I can't stand the thought of loosing one of my best assets. Heh heh

It is often hereditary and as you already know doesn't seem to be moved much by even vigorous exercise. The only key to removing it is losing fat since it is comprised of stringy fat deposits that stick to the skin ... making that appearance like buttons on a couch cushion. Certain things will cause it to become worsened such as smoking and alcohol.

Being lean is your only best attack against it, and interestingly enough i have met people in my life who were very thin but still had it. They lacked muscle tone tho, i think the more you have muscle tone in the area of question the less likely you will see the affects of it.

Massaging the affected area is said to help as well because it creates more blood flow, and the main reason it occurs in the first place is blood flow is usually inhibited near the surface of the skin. Massaging and kneading the area thru your fingers on a consistent basis is said to help, in addition to working on the muscle tone in that area too.

I have heard those cremes are basically useless but maybe they have come out with some new miracle i have not heard of yet.

Here's something interesting from Wikipedia:

Within the last 40-50 years women went from loose underwear around the thighs to tight underwear going accross the middle of the buttock. Underwear that has tight elastic accross the buttock limits blood flow,[citation needed] encouraging cellulite to form. Wearing thongs, boyshorts, or sleeping naked can reduce the impact underwear plays on cellulite's development.

It's back to granny panties!

All I know is that when I am not watching my salt, it does look worse.

I've tried a few spa treatments for it - it's a steam basically in a mud/herb wrap and deep tissue massage, then some creams. I did notice a difference right away, but it doesn't last long.

I do have a feeling though that retention is a part of the key. And the steaming and massaging would basically be increasing blood flow and helping to sweat out some salt.

Gotta admit I am intrigued by the Avon cream now though . lol.

All I know is that when I am not watching my salt, it does look worse.

I've tried a few spa treatments for it - it's a steam basically in a mud/herb wrap and deep tissue massage, then some creams. I did notice a difference right away, but it doesn't last long.

I do have a feeling though that retention is a part of the key. And the steaming and massaging would basically be increasing blood flow and helping to sweat out some salt.

Gotta admit I am intrigued by the Avon cream now though . lol.

It's NOT a "cure all" but I DID see results... and continue to..as long as

I am applying the cream. I figure I put moisturizer on me everyday anyway..what's one more lotion?? I highly recommend this to anyone

trying to lose weight...or get in shape.

Cindy Crawford just talked about hers recently, if it makes you feel better. Mine shows up mostly during PMS in one spot on my legs when I am heavily retaining water. I get embarrassed, even though it's really not that noticeable.until you squeeze my leg.. I don't have dimples or anything.

A lot of it is genetic and some of it is age. I switched to boyshorts just because I like them better, but they are very tight (compression like) whereas my string bikini underwear was not. Wondering now if my boyshorts might trigger me to have more which would be AWFUL....

As someone who has cellulite and is not overweight (and only 24), I share your woes and concerns. Thing is, if you have it now, you will always have some. Yes, you can decrease the appearance, but it's hard to get rid of. If it makes you feel better, 90% of all people (men and women) have it! Some, of course, have it worse than others. Also, skinny can have it while women considered overweight don't. It's the luck of the draw, mostly contributed by genetics (damn my family!) and other small things that you CAN control:

1. Drink PLENTY of water. At least 8 servings in 8oz. of water a day.

2. Avoid salts, since they assist in helping you retain water.

3. It's not so much with you having/being fat, but how your fat is being stored. So, the best way to keep it from storing the way that it does, causing the dimples, is to get rid of as much as possible. There will still be signs of it, because you would have to get rid of ALL of your fat to not see it, but it will not be as much.

4. Massage your legs! Cellulite is also a skin condition, and massage helps break down the toxins under the skin and make cellulite less noticeable. It doesn't matter what cream or lotion you use, though I hear simple Shea Butter is the best, as long as you use some. So you don't need to spend a lot of money on a certain Cellulite cream. After you shower, just take some lotion and rub in gentle circles on your problem areas for about 5 minutes. Should help a little.

5. Along with the getting rid of fat, just tone up as best as you can.

Keep in mind there is no cure for cellulite. You can only do much. But there are plenty of women, including myself, who are suffering right along with you.

Thanks Knightingale. Im going to have my husband massage my butt for five minutes everyday and see if that helps.

Haha, it will spice things up at least!

I've learned, after many tears and "miracle cures", that sane people don't really judge those with cellulite--even men! They accept it as just something that comes with the package and not that big of a deal. I know the ladies in Hollywood (who are airbrushed!) and those precious few perfect "real" people make it harder to accept it for ourselves, but work with what you have. My boyfriend's #1 Hollywood crush is Jessica Alba, who, aside from the brown hair and brown eyes, I look nothing like and as far as I can tell, she's pretty cellulite free compared to me. It's hard to not compare yourself to everyone else, but you just kind of have to force yourself not to. Do what you can in the meantime.

Sorry if I got preachy! I just know it's something I get down on myself about at times and I have to remind myself of everything I just told you.

Good luck.

About 95% of men don't get cellulite. They have thicker skin and their fat is distributed a different way so you rarely see a man with it, even very obese men.

It is usually a genetic pre-disposition and seems to not really have any direct correlation to weight because often thin woman get it. If one has a propensity for it then alcohol, smoking, salt, etc aggravates it and basically anything that affect the blood circulation (as was mentioned with tight hosiery, etc).

I agree with the points you made above.

About 95% of men don't get cellulite. They have thicker skin and their fat is distributed a different way so you rarely see a man with it, even very obese men.

It is usually a genetic pre-disposition and seems to not really have any direct correlation to weight because often thin woman get it. If one has a propensity for it then alcohol, smoking, salt, etc aggravates it and basically anything that affect the blood circulation (as was mentioned with tight hosiery, etc).

I agree with the points you made above.

Men have all the luck don't they . . . I have never seen a man with cellulite to be honest. I can't even imagine it.

I think my family just has bad circulation in general, so I have to be extra careful about things because not only am prone to cellulite but I could very well get spider veins too! Sigh. Ah well. C'est la vie.

Yea i was thinking that when i wrote it...just one more thing they don't have to worry about. No periods, no cellulite, no monthly water weight, no post pregnancy weight....but they have male pattern baldness! LOL but sadly some women get that too so we can't even corner the market on that one!

The super shape avon stretch mark and cellulite cream works really well, well it did for me anyways. More so with the stretch marks but it's really toning up my butt and legs..although I have started working out since I didn't do anything but sit on my butt during winter and i'm on a diet. I have thick thighs and a curvacious booty and my mother and sister have cellulite baddd..genetics ](*,) Oh well. I weigh only 125, which is sad..but i'm 5'1..my goal is 115/110. I'm not overweight..but being on the higher end of 'normal range' I feel i'm looking a bit thicker than I want to be.

It's NOT a "cure all" but I DID see results... and continue to..as long as

I am applying the cream. I figure I put moisturizer on me everyday anyway..what's one more lotion?? I highly recommend this to anyone

trying to lose weight...or get in shape.

If nothing else it is probably a good lotion/creme for the skin even if everyone who uses it doesn't see dramatic results. My daughter sells avon and i really like their products, and when you dont like something their return policy is awesome. i bought a pair of boots from them and the rubber cap on the heel fell off after the third wearing and they took them right back and replaced for me (because once that rubber tip is gone and the metal piece exposed for me the shoe is worthless as it doesnt feel right when walking, and looks bad).

Definitely agree with JS's comment on tone. Eat a healthy balanced diet and work hard on the free weights. Instead of long slow jogs or long stints on cardio machines, do interval training. Look at this picture that compares a distance runner's body (left) to a sprinter's body (right).

image removed

Archived