Getting back together really does happen!

Hey all! I posted my personal story in my own thread, but also wanted to put it here, as this is a thread that I went to a lot during the first few weeks of my breakup.

I had already posted a thread detailing the breakup and what happened following it if anyone is interested in the full story, but I'll try to sum it up here. Basically my girlfriend and I had been dating for close to 2 years and were in the talks of marriage. Both of us juniors in college, and over the summer we had a lot of problems that stemmed from bad communication and codependency (practically spending every free moment together, as many of our friends left our college town for the summer.) She ended things, saying she needed space and time to find herself and become and individual again...perhaps date other people and see what else was out there besides me. I, of course, freaked out and did the classic begging and pleading for a couple of weeks before finally turning the gun and going silent. Throughout the past month and a half, I really made it a mission to focus on myself. I got buckled down on my studies and applied for several internships for the summer, reconnected with friends and did my best to limit my time alone, got back into the gym, began seeing a therapist to work out some of the things I've been struggling with for the past year, and even went on a few dates. I was truly moving forward with my life, but that didn't mean that I stopped thinking about her. I truly believed that at some point, my best friend would come back to me, but I didn't use that to define my growth.

Throughout the past week, she had been reaching out to me a lot (3-4 isolated instances of calling/randomly texting). Mind you, this was a big deal because there had been absolutely no communication for weeks. Each time she attempted contact I was genuinely too busy to respond right away, and so I was never able to satisfy her desire to talk to me. Well, last night she ended up contacting me asking if she could come over and see me. At this point, I held absolutely no expectations for the future or getting back together. Of course I still longed to be with her, but I had come to realize that my happiness did not come from her.

When she came over I didn't know what to expect, but I knew that I was prepared to shut down any attempts at anything less than a relationship with her. It turns out, that she SAW the change in me, and the time of no contact with me showed her just how much she wanted me in her life. She had been on a few dates as well and spent time with friends, but it all just reminded her how much she missed me. I was, overall, a really great boyfriend as well as best friend to her, and she realized that she was going to lose that. Imagine her surprise when she saw the CHANGE I had been implementing in my life as well. After a long talk, that included what went wrong in the past relationship, what each of us wanted from the other in the future, (and quite a bit of kissing), we have decided to work things out. Of course we have the strong foundation, but we're beginning this as a new relationship and are going to take things slow. Neither of us are going in with any expectations other than for both parties to genuinely TRY. She left later that night, and we made plans to go on a date later next week. For now, we are keeping our reunion on the down-low amongst our peers, but the spark of attraction is definitely still there and both of us are going to let it naturally progress. Overall, we were apart for a little under 2 months, with about 5 weeks of NC/LC. To sum up my thoughts on the reconciliation, I'm cautiously optimistic: excited and nervous for what the future holds, but keeping my guard up at all times.

Overall this, I would say that the breakup experience has been an absolute blessing in disguise. God works in truly mysterious ways. If anyone had told me 2 months ago that I would be the strongest I've ever been now, I would've laughed. But it happened. For those of you going through a difficult time right now, know that it is OK to have hope, but don't let that hope define your life. You really have to let go and focus on yourself - do what makes YOU happy and really make an attempt to implement change in your life for YOURSELF. I'm not saying don't grieve and be sad, but don't let those emotions keep you stuck in the same place - when you slip and fall, nurse your wounds, get up, and keep going. I truly believe that reconciliations are always possible (barring extreme circumstance such as cheating or abuse). But, the real beauty in life comes from YOUR OWN personal growth, and it's important to recognize that before even considering getting back together with your ex. If she changed her mind tomorrow, I would be FINE. Why? Because I now value myself, and know that MY happiness is the most import thing.

Happy to answer any questions!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all I have a few reconciliation stories that I heard the other day and one my friend is currently going through.

The first is my manager at work who was with his ex for few years an just fell out of love with her. They where apart for a year and a half but still hung out as friends. They are now married and expecting their first child next year.

The second is one of my friends. I do not agree with the reconnect but it shows anything can happen. He had a short relationship with this girl then ghosted her. Five years later he messaged her to apologize for the way he behaved and did not expect a reply. She now had a child and was pregnant with another but they got to talking and saw feeling where still there. She has terminated her pregnancy and has gone back to my friend. Like I said I do not agree with this one but it shows anything can happen.

Hey everyone! I`ve just been through a difficult break up (sorry about any mistakes, not native-english-speaker), and going through this, of all the things I've been looking for to ease things and get myself together, this post has been one of the most important ones.

So I've decided to share my story, and hopefully get some advice, some opinions and, just maybe, help someone who's going through the same things.

Trying to resume everything: in the first months of 2016, this girl started to work the same place as I. Almost immediately, we fell for each other (as I would eventually know), but there was one problem: at the time, I was at another relationship - a messy and complicated one -, so for a long time none of us made anything. But we started to become great friends, although only in office space - as in we never got out together, even as friends or anything. But as time went by, my relationship became sour and sour, and I became more and more in love with this girl, until a point I could not deny it anymore.

So, in the first weeks of January, I broke up w/ my girlfriend, and a week later I asked this girl to go to the movies with me. After that, we started dating immediately (and only then I found out that this whole time she was also totally in love with me, and suffering her share for seeing me in a negative relationship and not with her). From the begging, it was great, we were not only great as a couple but also as great friends. Even the fact that we worked together and saw each other every day did not stood in the way - as a matter of fact, we loved to see each other all the time, even if it was at work.

Nonetheless, we also had to problems from begging - my share of the problems was that, since I've just gone out of a serious relationship, I did not want to go "public" right away, not because I was still in love w/ ex, but because I didn't want to hurt her feelings, making her feel rejected or betrayed or whatever. As for her, she had some trust issues, related (I guess) to an abusive ex-boyfriend. She could retrieve to her shell quite easily, and every single little discussion could make her become real defensive, and she avoided to let me in her personal safety circle (as in, for ex., she never really introduced me to any of her friends). These were difficult problems, but I was sure we could fix them by talking and giving each other all the support we could. And, during all this time, no matter these problems, she was always lovely, supportive and incredibly great to me. I never once doubted how much we loved each other.

In August, she received a offer to a new (and better) job, and we stooped working together. At first, no matter how much I missed her, I thought this would be good to our relationship, and gave her all my support. And for the first weeks or so, nothing important really changed. But after a while, she started to have some problems in her new work (related only to an gigantic and absurd amount of work). One day, we had a little fight - she was stressed with work, wanted to off steam but was a little rude, I was stressed with work also, and didn't gave her enough attention. This little fight became a bigger one, and we did not talked for a couple of days. After that, we talked and forgave each other. But, in the very next day, she said she wasn't happy with our relationship but still loved me a lot, so she wanted some time by herself to find these feeling again. We went on a break.

This break lasted three to four weeks, but during this time, she would come and text me a lot. We even went to the movies one time - even if nothing boy/girl-friend related happened. I was hurt, but felt we could work things out.

Then, after these weeks, she dumped me. She said she loved me a lot, she missed me like hell all this time we were on a break, but she felt she needed to grow as a person, and she was afraid that, if we keep together, we would eventually break up anyway, but in worse terms - and to her, that time, the more important thing was to keep our good memories and don't put anything in the way of our friendship because, by her own words, she could not imagine "a life without me there somehow".

I was devastated, but kept it to myself. Did not went after her. Two days later, she texted me, wanting to know if I was ok. I said I was missing her a lot, and wanted her in my life. She said she missed me and wanted me too, but wasn't ready to get back in a relationship yet. After that, we spent two weeks w/o talking or texting each other.

Last week I was going through a small surgery, and did not wanted to be operated before talking to her. So I texted her, just asking how she was. She answered me politely, but there was something different - she looked distant. And, in the very next day, she posted on FB a photo with another guy. I freaked out. Took a deep breath and texted her, in the most polite way I could - and yes, I managed to be polite - if she was dating this other guy. She answered me she was simply living her life, wanted me to live my life too, and I should understand that. I didn't answered that.

Since then, for the last few days, she shared a lot of posts and photos with this guy - whom I kinda know she only met AFTER the break up, i.e. not even three weeks ago -, looking really in love w/ him, and not caring at all bout how I feel about this (btw, she never shared so much of her personal life on social media with me or before we were together). She didn't text me again, neither did I. A mutual friend of ours from work (the only person who knew about our mutual feelings BEFORE we went on out first date) said she changed with her as well, acting distant and strangely.

I thought a lot about it this last week. She seems really in love w/ new guy, but I truly believed she dumped me with very strong feelings about me, and things seem to be going to fast for her to be in love w/ new guy just after three weeks - don't matter how much new guy may be awesome. So maybe it's a rebound, and she's (unconsciously, maybe) using him to get over feelings for me - same reason she stooped talking with our mutual friend. But seeing her looking so in love with him, it's difficult even to accept that.

I know I've writen a lot, but I needed to say all it was in my chest. I've decided I'm not gonna go after her, I'm gonna give her her space, altough I still love her and miss her like hell - I know it's a cliche, but I've never felt like this for any girlfriend before -, and decided I'm gonna use this experience to improve myself in a lot of ways I know i was in fault with her. But I still want her back, and still honestly believe she's the one.

Hope you guys could give me some insights. Do you think it may be a reboud? Maybe she will realise that?

Or: should I be hopefull?

Thanks!

My cousin (who lives in the USA) was dating a guy who lives in the UK. She broke up with him and started dating a guy who lived in the same state. They ended up getting married. Two years later she got divorced. I'm not sure who contacted who, but she and the guy in the UK started talking again and rekindled their relationship. They've now been married for nine years and have two kids.

This second one is kind of a success story, for people who hope their ex will come back and will regret leaving them. My brother divorced his wife because he thought he was in love with someone else. His new relationship lasted a year or so. The only reason he's not with his ex now is that she won't date him. He's been trying to get her back for seven years. They're best friends and see each other all the time. He says leaving her was one of the biggest mistakes he's ever made.

I recently got my ex gf back after 10 months. We are still in the warming back up phase but she moved back in and we are both putting in effort to make things work. I think the things that worked for me was bettering myself, being persistant/hard working, genuine in making changes by showing in both subtle and blunt ways that i love her and paid attention to small details of moments we shared and things she has said. I couldnt go no contact because we have a child together but really for any situation just give the ex space they will eventually start talking and when that happens stay positive and keep it light at all times but at the end of any contact just throw out something like Ive missed ya, hope you have a good day! this is important because it helps you build up to your goal and not into the friendzone. Just feel out how they act/reply and keep slowly building up each and every time contact its key to start using words like appreciate and trust, things like that. It always makes the other person feel more inclined to open more to you when you say things like I appreciate you doing that or your hard work, also telling them you trust them is a major plus. Positive interaction mixed with positive changes and basically got me where I am now. There are still obstacles to overcome and work through but it can and will happen with a tireless work ethic and positive outlook. And btw I was one of those people that couldnt eat/sleep/work for months after the break up. All of that did no good. I know its probably the toughest thing alot of you may ever do but if you are heart broken and want to get your ex back or even just move on dont show your pain but dont hide it either. have a couple friends/family to talk to or a counselor if you need but always keep with positive thoughts and dont over analyze their every move. Just do your homework and soul searching, make a plan and bust ass to make it happen like your life depended on it. I believe if you do this you will end up with the person your meant to be with, whether its your ex or someone else.

Anyone looking for actual advice and not just happy get back together stories please read mine. I went through many different things when this kind of thing happened to me and I am hoping I can help someone going through the same thing I did.

At one point I had gone through this WHOLE thread at least 3 times... yes... 3 times front to back... I saved article after article. I looked for any answer I could get, besides the stupid get your ex back together crap. Those people just want your money and do not really care about you. In fact, they are just making it harder on you in every way possible.

My story: My ex-fiance and I had dated 7 years. I asked her to marry and picked out the best ring I could possibly afford. I didn't make good money but I still managed to buy her an amazing ring. I cried over that ring. When I went to the jeweler I went through at least 50 rings before I saw it. I saw it and knew it was the one. I was so happy about it I couldn't help but cry. The girl asked me about my fiance and I told her and felt the most happiness I had ever felt. She cried a little too and I left with the ring to show her mother and sister. They both saw it and cried.

I proposed to her and couldn't even get the words out. I choked on every last word but she looked at me with so much love and told me she loved me and that she wanted nothing more to marry me.

A year later... she breaks up with me out of the blue... 2 months before we are getting married and after I had just paid off the last bit for the wedding.

I was devastated, to say the least. I was so sick I couldn't function. I didn't eat or sleep. I got so bad I ended up losing my job. I had nowhere to go and ended up having to move all the way back to California from Georgia. I lost everything in a blink of an eye.

I felt so lost and confused. I felt angry and hurt. I would sit up crying all night trying to figure out what had happened. She was so cold to me and did not care. I went to church every Sunday and prayed every night for God to help me figure out what had happened. Why she told me she didn't love me anymore.

I went through many fazes. I went through extreme sadness and beating myself up over every little thing I had ever done wrong. I started hating her and even went through begging her. Nothing worked.

I eventually kept asking her what had happened to the point she just didn't care anymore. I followed the no contact rule and watched her cry and beg me to talk to her but she NEVER wanted me back. Nothing ever worked.

I eventually got so low I just didn't care about anything anymore. My family came and talked to me and cried telling me how bad I had gotten and how much they hated seeing me like this but I didn't care. I couldn't do anything. I couldn't describe to anyone how I felt and how it felt to just be in the complete dark of what happened. One day she was telling me she loved me and then a week later that it was over and I needed to leave. No major fight no nothing. She just pushed me away.

Know what eventually worked? I let go... completely.... not tried to let go but let go let go. I knew my life back then was over and I focused on something else. I started a business just to distract myself. I started selling random stuff I would find on eBay here and there. Nothing big but it helped distract me.

As time had gone on

I felt less and less about her and more and more about my side project with eBay. I kept going more and more. I started with 400 dollars and just kept going and going.

I kept hearing things here and there about her but I stopped asking her questions and just started to only care about myself.

several months after she broke up with me my family member told me they had something they needed to show me.

They had shown me my ex with another guy I had always suspected since the day it all happened. They were too close to each other in the photo but I lied to myself telling myself it was nothing until it got the better of me and I logged into her account on Facebook. She had changed her password but I could still access it real fast through her email that I had access too still. I never stalked once but that ate away at me for so long.

Eventually, I logged in and saw what I completely feared. She saved the old photos she had to trick anyone who could see in my family but the other photos she had hidden of her and him on dates together and stuff. I saw that and scrolled through them one by one. I saw conversations with her telling him to block me and my family (who treated her like a daughter by the way). Do you know how I felt? Sad but ... nothing... it was so weird. I felt like I wanted to cry and felt like a month before I would cry my heart out but I felt nothing. I felt pity for her but I felt that was the last push to get me through everything.

At this point, I triple-timed what I did and just kept growing and growing over the year. I don't know what happened but eventually, we just started.. talking again. I could tell you why but we did. I confronted her about what happened and listened to her about all the things that happened to her. Her life turned so awful and she really did screw almost everything up. She had grown and done nothing over the year.

I managed to grow that 400 dollars to a 30,000 a month business in under a year. Not much to some people but to me I think that's amazing. I love what I do now and could not be any happier.

As I and she started talking more we discussed things more and more but I never did trust her again. She eventually started pursuing me super hard and has shown me proof of things she has done.

I am not a loser and once you break my trust it is almost impossible to get back but she has done everything in her power to get it back and its kind of hilarious to me. She really has changed a lot over the year and so have I. The biggest thing that changed for me is my whole world went from revolving around her and making her happy to her being a part of my already amazing life I built up without her.

Without sharing too much more. Yes, we are back together and she wanted me to come out and see her at Christmas and to spend time with her or her come out here to see me. I declined though. I am very busy with my business at this point and told her I wouldn't be able to give her any real time until after the holidays.

The whole point I want to make with my post is that the ONLY thing that worked out of all the things you read, is to give the heck up and realize you are better than this person. You do not need anyone to make you happy. You make yourself happy. If they come back that is great! but if not trust me... you end up even happier if you just focus on you. No matter how much time it takes just focus on you. I am 20 times happier now then I was with her because my life is freaking great now. I do whatever I want and can now afford the life I always wanted. Life is really good for me.

Just let go and focus on your life.

Without sharing too much more. Yes, we are back together and she wanted me to come out and see her at Christmas and to spend time with her or her come out here to see me. I declined though. I am very busy with my business at this point and told her I wouldn't be able to give her any real time until after the holidays.

No offense friend but I'm confused. You're back together with her but you're in a thread for GBT stories telling people not to want to get back together?

No offense friend but I'm confused. You're back together with her but you're in a thread for GBT stories telling people not to want to get back together?

My point was people on this thread are focused on getting back together when I'm fact nothing works except what everyone else tells you to do from experience. What people always tell you to do is to move on and if it works out it works out. Get to a point were you don't care anymore and it's possible you will get back together.

I am saying this because that's the best advice anyone can possibly give. I was focused on trying anything to get back with my ex and the only thing that worked was letting it go and going on with my life.

So I'm saying its a get back together story but it took over a year and a half for it to happen and the only reason it happened was I didn't try and make it happen in the end. It just kinda happened once I was happy and had let go of anything ever happening.

Also no one wants to hear "let go and let time decide what happens." I know because I would get pissed when someone would tell me that. I didn't want to let go and move on! I wanted my ex back no matter what because life was never gonna be the same without her.

If you read all the stories in this thread most long relationships that ended up working out have one thing in common. A lot of time and moving forward with life. That's it.

They had shown me my ex with another guy I had always suspected since the day it all happened.

Great story and thanks for all the detail. Can you tell us what happened between her and the other guy? Did that fizzle out and then she began to contact you for emotional support?

I have some more stories for you all.

One of my best friends went out with his first girlfriend for three years and she dumped him. Two weeks later she came back asking for another chance and he said no. He was still in love with her but couldn't put him self through it. Then a girlfriend from a few years later. He dumped her this time and said he felt great when he did due to her being a very bad toxic person. A few months past and I ran into her at a bus stop and she said she missied him. I told my friend and he messaged her. They started up again for a brief moment but it fell apart. Turns out she had not changed and was still a very bad person. She had actually started seeing someone new before she got back with my friend and was seeing them both at the same time.

It does show that if it is going to work then change is a vital part and reconciliation is possible even when you think it's hopeless but you must be honest with yourself about the reasons you broke up.

An example of that is myself. My girlfriend of 3 years dumped me because I was jealous and possessive. I have identified the issues and am addressing them which I would not have done when we were together. I am about 2 and a half months deep in being dumped. I did around a week of begging. Then there was some light contact. The fisrt month and a half I was razor focused on getting her back and when we met up at around 2 months later she shattered me. Said things I never thought she would say such as she didn't miss me at all. But then breadcrumbed me with saying she wanted to be friends and she didn't know how she felt about me. Even though these words hurt I haven't let my self improvement slip I have been promoted, have a job interview at Apple next week, passed my master's degree and have lost a lot of weight. I personally am on a path of great change and feel great. On the other hand I hear her life is getting hard and I feel bad for her.

She may or may not come back and that's okay I'm all the better for the break up and although I haven't reconciled with her I consider the life improvement a win and I cried for a week straight when it first happened so it will get better no matter the outcome.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve decided to finally add onto this thread after months of reading other people’s posts. Today, I was speaking to my brother and he goes “Guess whose back into my life???” N after I failed guessing he proceeded to tell me that his ex just called him n asked to meet two days ago. After meeting her, she confessed that she’s been thinking about things lately and she wants to start over and was wrong for dumping him. I was absolutely shocked because of two main reasons 1. She dumped him three years ago and she was so sure about her decision. He tried everything to win her back for about seven months but she wouldn’t reconsider. She would tell him to move on, to stop bugging her etc 2. She is also crazzzy proud. She would tell him when they were together that she’s NEVER gone back to an ex n when things were over, they were over.

He doesn’t feel anything for her now and is very shocked as well by her wanting to start over but is willing to try to start out as friends n then see if they’re going to work out. He isn’t really into it n neither I’m i to be honest since I saw first hand how cold she was towards him when she left. I hope this encourages someone today. I hope my ex does come back while I still care cause after speaking to my brother today, he would rather she just stayed gone cause he is so over that whole situation n doesn’t feel anything for her.

I’ve decided to finally add onto this thread after months of reading other people’s posts. Today, I was speaking to my brother and he goes “Guess whose back into my life???” N after I failed guessing he proceeded to tell me that his ex just called him n asked to meet two days ago. After meeting her, she confessed that she’s been thinking about things lately and she wants to start over and was wrong for dumping him. I was absolutely shocked because of two main reasons 1. She dumped him three years ago and she was so sure about her decision. He tried everything to win her back for about seven months but she wouldn’t reconsider. She would tell him to move on, to stop bugging her etc 2. She is also crazzzy proud. She would tell him when they were together that she’s NEVER gone back to an ex n when things were over, they were over.

He doesn’t feel anything for her now and is very shocked as well by her wanting to start over but is willing to try to start out as friends n then see if they’re going to work out. He isn’t really into it n neither I’m i to be honest since I saw first hand how cold she was towards him when she left. I hope this encourages someone today. I hope my ex does come back while I still care cause after speaking to my brother today, he would rather she just stayed gone cause he is so over that whole situation n doesn’t feel anything for her.

If he doesn't feel anything, why bother?

They haven't been friends in three years. Is there a point to trying to rekindle it now?

He already has the mindset not to want to, so he's wasting his time here.

Why she appeared--is it because she's lonely, not finding better , wanting to settle down now?

I'd question her true motive.

Thanks for sharing this story and reviving this thread. I'm curious about the questions in the post above me too.

I was also wondering how long it took your brother to the point of not caring?

Well they were still in each other’s lives but weren’t really friends. My brother is really good friends with her brother so occasionally they’d run into each other but we’re nev alone. She never really showed any interest in building a friendship before and looked very happy with her life. They share a group of friends so he had to deal with seeing her even after they broke up which was really hard on him. I think she heard that he is now currently single and doing well for himself and she didn’t wanna risk him meeting someone else. Life is weird sometimes- once you move on completely they pop up. He said he just went along with it to see what will happen but I think she has to feel the same sense of loss that he did for there to even be a slight chance of reconciliation.

I think it took him about a year. She just stopped putting in effort and kinda just disappeared on him so it was hard for him to move on cause he still kept on trying to get her to be part of the relationship before it actually ended. It felt like he was sad for a long time but he started his own business, got his own place and life kinda helped him heal and move on.

New update!!

So, I’ve expressed before how this site has helped me feel better about my breakup everytime I found myself becoming sad about it again. And a few months ago, around August I posted that I got back together with my ex who I was apart from for 3 months. And now, we live together, and he proposed! Now we’re getting married next year

Our relationship is so good now and he’s definitelty learnt from his mistakes and I’ve learnt from mine and we’re both working through them together and we’re so much better now as a couple than we ever were. We’re really excited about our future together and he said that he definitely knows he doesn’t want to be apart from me again after the breakup and realised that he lost me since I wouldn’t take him back at first. He did say that me doing NC from the beginning did help in making him realise that I’m moving on and he didn’t want me to not be in his life but now he’s even more caring and loving and he picked such an amazing and beautiful ring. I hope we last for a very long time this time around I’m quite happy with how things are going right now and will continue to keep working on myself!

New update!!

So, I’ve expressed before how this site has helped me feel better about my breakup everytime I found myself becoming sad about it again. And a few months ago, around August I posted that I got back together with my ex who I was apart from for 3 months. And now, we live together, and he proposed! Now we’re getting married next year

Our relationship is so good now and he’s definitelty learnt from his mistakes and I’ve learnt from mine and we’re both working through them together and we’re so much better now as a couple than we ever were. We’re really excited about our future together and he said that he definitely knows he doesn’t want to be apart from me again after the breakup and realised that he lost me since I wouldn’t take him back at first. He did say that me doing NC from the beginning did help in making him realise that I’m moving on and he didn’t want me to not be in his life but now he’s even more caring and loving and he picked such an amazing and beautiful ring. I hope we last for a very long time this time around I’m quite happy with how things are going right now and will continue to keep working on myself!

A success story! Congrats!

I wish you both a lifetime full of happiness and beautiful memories