Getting back together really does happen!

A friend of mine broke up with his girlfriend when he was drunk, but also because he's been with the girl since he was 14-15 years old and felt like exploring. Well the next day he felt terrible and made a mistake and she took him back. They've been together for 10 years now.

My ex's parents left each other for a couple of weeks when they were in university, I think his dad didn't want to settle down. They've been together for 25 years now.

My ex's cousin left his girlfriend because they kept arguing and she was bipolar. Last that I've heard they came back together and even went traveling together over the summer. I think they left each other for a month or so.

Yeah I use to look on this a year and half ago my ex broke up with out of nowhere I was devastated well 10 months later we got back together and guess what two days ago he started ignoring me and becoming distant so I broke up with him. Moral of the story sometimes you do get back together but if both of you have not changed it won't work. I changed while him I were seperated but he didn't he still lacked in expressing his feeling and communicating with out ignoring me or shutting me out .

and another one:

Having had a break from my girlfriend (now my wife) and got back together again after spending time apart we have now been together 12 years and have two lovely children. I decided that I needed to have my own space as we were arguing, I wasn't happy and didn't see how things could change for the better whilst I remained in the relationship. There was no-one else. So long as you don't try to rush or force things you'll be fine. Maybe you will find someone else, maybe he will, or maybe you'll end up back together. But absence does make the heart grow fonder and although you may not want a break you cannot force the other party to do what you want. And seducing him would only provide a temporary respite as the underlying issues (whatever they might be) haven't been addressed.

Hey west coast i can relate to that story my ex broke up with me the first time because he wanted to live his life we got back together 10 months later recently he broke up with me again I have yet to know why because he tends to shut down till he is ready to talk but I believe its due to the distance since, we got back together and had to do ldr because he moved back home. Im hoping well get back together but well need to go to counseling because he has done a lot of damage and hurt me by leaving me more than once

My ex left me October 2014 for 6 months we had complete no contact until 1 day she rings me up and begs for me back it' was a very hard thing to do but I was so happy it's now been 7 weeks since she got up and left me all over again. It does happen but we was long distance although we was our hole 5 years I'm still hoping that sometime she will realise again and we will work out I beleive I will marry her one day!!!!

As much as I love reading reconciliation stories, it becomes dramatically more difficult when you understand the underlying reason as to why they left you in the first place.

The basic fact is, if someone leaves you for someone else, it's basically because they saw more value in the person than they did with you, which compelled them to move on.

Looking at things in that context, would you be able to trust a person like that?

A person whose easily willing to swing branches just because they can and forget everything you built together is a person who lacks serious character. If they can do that to you so easily, then it means they see little value in you and the things you could ever do for them. Why would you ever want to take back a person like that?

The only time a reconciliation would ever work with people like this is if they a) Couldn't find anyone better or make things work with the new person or b) Are older, disillusioned and no longer have the options they once had when they were younger and more attractive and are using you as a backup plan to settle with.

As much as I hate to accept any of this, It's basically the facts. Even if you did take them back, it will be very difficult to accept the fact that they could have moved on and not cared about you if things did work out for them.

I don't know about anyone else, but my feelings and love is worth much more than that.

Just wanted to give this thread a bump and say it's helping me stay positive while I try to get back together with my ex. Here are the stories I have:

1. My friend dated a guy for six years, and he broke up with her. He rebounded, got the rebound pregnant, then doesn't want anything to do with her or the baby...and now, nine months later, is calling up my friend saying he misses her. It may be a bit too late for him at this point and I'm not sure he sounds like a great guy for her anyways...but he still came back to my friend so she COULD reconcile if she wanted to.

2. Another friend cheated on her boyfriend because she was in a bad emotional place; he dumped her and they were apart for almost a year. They never fell out of love with each other, got back together even though it was now an LDR (he had moved, so it was Seattle vs. Virginia), then they made it through a year of long distance, and now they've just moved in together (she moved to him) and are planning to get engaged within the year!! They are stronger than ever and a great hope for me.

3. Guy cheated on his girlfriend, she was so angry and wouldn't speak to him, when they did get back in touch she was hot and cold, flip flopping around, didn't trust him yet, but he never gave up. It took him nine months of trying and rebuilding the trust before she finally agreed to try again. He never gave up on her. They're now engaged and planning the wedding.

4. One of my exes got back together with his ex SIX TIMES and finally proposed to her. Each time they would date other people, but ultimately he kept coming back to her. He actually cheated on me once with her (it's okay though, I'm done with him and care only for the current ex I'm trying to get back ).

I guess it's only right that I finally put my story up! I was dating my girlfriend for about 3 years. We had 2 apartments together and even raised a puppy we refused together. First 2 years was amazing, 3rd year we moved to a new state for her first teaching job. I was incredibly proud of her. We loved the new fresh start and new things to do for the first few months. But problem was I had to find a new job since I quit my last one to move up with her. I eventually found a job but then quit because the hours weren't good. I began to get lazy, unmotivated and just really let myself go. I stopped paying attention to my girl and stopped making her feeling wanted and eventually she up and left me(2 weeks before thanksgiving) it was painful. I didn't listen to anyone's advice and begged her back until after a week I knew it wouldn't work, I texted her I agreed with the breakup and I walked away from it all. My dad is the one who called me up and really helped pick me up. He told me "Son, as much as you don't want to hear this, your woman had a great reason to leave you, look at what you became. You let yourself go after all the hardwork she did for you guys to stay living there and in return you gave nothing. Of course you can say you love her and she already knows that but no couple will survive if only one of them is doing all the work. Pick yourself up, stop all this bull sitting inside all day it's unhealthy. Go out and find yourself and become the man I raised you to be"

From that day forward I changed, got a new job, got a second job, applied to finish my last year of college, started reading, working out (lost my six pack but got it back now lol)

I made no contact for over a month and finally my ex contacted me, then we hung out and had a good time, second hang out we talked about both of our problems, then she told me she wants to work this out, third hang out I layed down our boundaries saying we can't rush into things and I won't be moving back in anytime soon. Although we aren't "official" yet. We chat everyday and see eachother twice a week and we are fully committed to get back together! couldn't be happier!

Kind of a success story. Lived 1 year and a half with my ex gf she suddenly left me when I got confortable and did not give enough care. I was decimated brought her 12 rozes and got rejected. She then moved in with a coke dealer 2 weeks after the breakup ( She was a model and a party girl with very self destructive ways appart from the time she was with me, a housewife kind of person very devoted but in need of so much love). I decided to hope for the best for her as much as hate is easier, look at what I did wrong in that relationship and what she did wrong. I stopped contacting her and moved on with my life keeping in mind I'd still try to get her back in 30 days or when I felt ready. I met with friends, kept being positive, began jogging, met other girls casually and nursed myself back to my prime.

28 days later I felt really confident and I texted her just to know how things were going for her. She answered at the same second ! She wrote me that she wanted to write to me and if I did not answer did not know what she would have done. She asked me to meet with her, we talked she came back home with me for 3 days then left that drug dealer and came back. We stayed together for a year and a half more. Then I screwed up again: I ended up not trusting her and then she began lying and distancing herself and I had to end things and leave her.

Of course I was saddened but mostly happy to have given things a second chance. Yes going back together is possible, but remember that won't fix yourself or that person magically (you can't fix her or him that's their job so work on yourself). I learned that you have to be confident in yourself and that you must keep trusting the other person unless you have proof of someting because even if the other person is truthful if she feels untrusted it will kill her love and once it's dead you live in an empty shell of a couple that will hurt both of you. After getting back rebuilding and keeping trust can be hard but you have to leave the breakup behind after having adressed the issues that caused it.

So yes there is hope if you keep positive and work to being a better person, give space to the other person and move on from the pain of the breakup. But remember getting back together is the smallest step to what follows : building a healthy relationship. I regret nothing in getting back with her or loving a girl that had issues but be sure it is worth it going back together if you do it.

As for me I still am in love with a difficult girl and am trying to have her love me... well being a nurturing person brings that I guess hahaha!

• Like 1

Greetings!

After couple of days of reading every single post here I first like to thank each and every one of you. It's obvious that the exes do miss us, doesn't matter if they are dumpers or dumpees. I came up with a conclusion that in order to have a truly SUCCESSFUL RECONCILIATION as a dumpee you must improve yourself. Break the shell, improve in every area of your life, get your attraction back and you will get your ex back. Nevertheless, even if you don't get her/him back, believe me you're on the right path. I won't argue on the topic of LC or NC. Personally I after a month of pleading and begging decided to put the ball down. She didn't say we will never be again together. She's younger 3 years than me, she(21 soon 22) i'm 24. We agreed on LC, but I now know I can't do that and I'll most likely cave in and try to avoid her as much as possible.

Just get your life together. Embrace life. You'll feel better and they'll feel that too. This thread made me realize that I lost my identity in the relationship, i became a wuss. This is our 2nd break up, but then again the first one didn't felt like on.

I can't share any success stories of which I know any in-depth details. However, most of the time the people either went on a long NC and after that moved on to LC. I've seen dumpees reach out and fulfilling their biggest wish. However, they all improved in one way or another. All of you who are in the age range of 18 to 22 don't feel bad. It's more likely they'll come back, but don't rely heavily on this. For the time being, i'll focus on my business, my studies and my well being. As a person with mommy issues I don't feel like dating anytime soon.

Summary.

-Accept the past and be happy that you've spent that time with a wonderful person

-Focus on yourself and improve

-Embrace life, live it not just survive

-After 4-10 months if they're single or so reach out, but make sure you are prepared for what's to come.

BE STRONG eNAs.

P.S.

My exgf is actually nicknamed Ena.

I have a few to share. I have lots actually but will just post the first two that come to my head, for now.

1. My best friend (a very pretty girl) in high school. It was the summer before the last year of high school, and this guy who was a very charismatic, ladies man (full out known womanizer actually), Mr. Popularity, bright blue eyes, very wealthy family, the one who got the party going, everyone loved him....you know the type), well he comes back from his first year of University. After searching the hunting grounds of home, Mr. Popularity decides he is going to date my friend for the Summer. He explained to her right off the bat, that this was a Summer thing only and they would have to call it off at the end of Summer. My friend went for it, but secretly hoped it would turn into a long term relationship, as she fell hard for Mr. Popularity right away. She had the most amazing, fun Summer of her life! They were living it up and partying big time, and doing so many fun things, that she would never get to do normally (her family was the opposite of wealthy, and she lived with her dad, only child of a divorced family). At the very end of the Summer, he cheated on her, with the girl he dated the Summer before (who also came from a wealthy family, and who snubbed it in my friend's face), and he also called it quits, as it was time to go back to Uni. My friend was devastated. I could tell she was very hurt, she kept to herself for the final grade of school (it was a small town), and hated having to face the stuck up girl and her friends everyday. After the last year of high school, the graduation came, and Mr. Popularity comes back for the Summer. The guy didn't call my friend. He actually had the nerve to try to make the same deal with me (I blew him off), so he dated "some other girl", not that great looking of a girl either I might add. Well, my friend just moved forward, got into another relationship, and got married within a year. That's where I personally lost touch with her for a few years. It didn't work out with the young marriage, the guy cheated on her, and she left and filed for a divorce within months apparently. She then dated another man for a few years, apparently he was physically\mentally abusive, and used her, and treated her horribly. She called her dad after a few years of that nightmare, he came and got her out of there -dad to the rescue!, She had nothing, and was luckily able to move in with other family, in a remote area on a farm (about 2 hours away from our hometown). By chance, after she goes to stay with family, guess who runs into her dad? (Btw, It is now 6 years after high school). Well it's the charismatic Mr. Popularity guy from the Summer that she fell for. I guess Mr. Popularity had asked her dad (when he ran into him) how she was doing, and got the number where she was staying (we didn't have cell phones in high school back then either). Well Mr. Popularity called her, and started visiting her out on the farm every weekend, and now, 10 years later, they have 2 beautiful kids, I was the maid of honour at their wedding 5 years ago, and Mr. Popularity and Mrs. Popularity are a true Cinderella story and are still super happy!!

2. For people in their mid 30's! Some of my best friends now! Well I had just met them (I was in my later 20's at the time, they are both a bit older than me, and were in their mid 30's. Anyhow, so about 7 years ago, I started dating this guy, and I of course met all of his friends. Well one of his friends, was apparently dating this girl that he wasn't really into (as mentioned both were in their mid 30's at the time). They dated for about 4-5 months, but he just wasn't into it, wasn't that attracted to her etc etc, when I had met him, he had sort of called it off with this girl, so I did not get to meet her for a month or two, as I was new to that group of people. Well we were all out for the evening (big group of us) and apparently she was at the same place we were out at (coincidence). Well he brings her back to party a bit more at his place, we were all going there. He still wasn't really into her, I think he just wanted to "hook up for the night". She ended up hanging out a few more times though, as she had apparently fallen for him straight away for the first 4-5 months before he called it off, and she had her ways. Then, right after I had met her, it turned out she was pregnant! OMG right?? Well, the guy was honourable, and was willing to step up to the plate, and they moved in right away. Unfortunately she did miscarry, however, they stayed together. It took him a while but he fell in love with her too, they got married 3 years ago (I was a Bridesmaid at their wedding), and they are one of the strongest couples I know! He always tells everyone how much he loves her, and he shows it with every move he makes. They are extremely happy!

If I think of any more, I will post them.

Ok, this is my first post. I'll share some stories

1: My mom broke up with my stepdad after she found out he was talking to his first ex-wife, so my mother threw out his stuff there was lot's of shouting and overall it was a bad break-up. Can't go in full detail but they were apart for over a year, after that my stepdad moved into his ex-wife's house, but never really liked her in the first place, they fought a lot. He started contacting my mother again and started begging her, she still loved him and took him back. They've been happy for over a few years now, they do fight sometimes, but it's mostly a happy relationship. (they never did NC though)

2: my stephbrother broke up with his girlfriend after a year of dating, I guess he was tired of her or something, never really asked him why. They were broken up for a year also and suddenly they got back together, don't ask me how... But they've been together for a year again and my stepbrother seems happy. As he doesn't come home in the weekends and just spends his time at her place.

3: my other stepbrother dated a girl in high school for a few years, they broke up a few times and always ended up together again. However this didn't end well as she became a (not even joking), she even became famous in her village for doing exactly that and also in the surrounding area. She even tried to seduce a friend of mine who blew her off.

4: my first "ex" girlfriend (we were twelve and not really in love) had a boyfriend for a year, she broke up with him and went to another guy they had a relationship for 2 years. They broke up with lot's of drama anyways a few months after that break-up I went on facebook to she that they got back together (her and the first guy). They've been together for a few years now, she looks very happy, but I don't talk to her anymore, so I wouldn't know except for what I see and what I heard from friends.

5: my father and stepmother always fight and "break up", it usually lasts a few hours before they talk it out and get back together, one time it took a week it's like a once in a half year thing. However they are happy most of the times, the discussions are mostly dumb at best. they're both 50 but they fight like little kids about stupid things. The problem is my father has turned into a no-bull kinda guy, and she's always the one suggesting breaking up, bad combo if you ask me, but still they're happy.

6: A friend of mine dated another friend of mine let's call them J and R, anyways J and R had been in a relationship for over 3 years but they were young and too distracted so it was always something peculiar about the two, you never noticed they were even together, they kissed only once that we saw. In the end they grew apart and just met at school told eachother there was nothing there, only friendship. It was never something intimate to begin with, only later did we find out why it was like that. Even J who ended up asking R out again after 2 years apart only found out when he asked her out. Well she wanted to become a he and she said: "I really want to be with you but I can't do it like this, while I'm a girl." J being a straight guy said he couldn't be with a man and they ended on good terms, are still good friends. So they did have a chance to get back together, but for obvious reasons that was not possible.

7: my best friend had the chance to get back together with a girl who broke up with him. But she lives all the way in Australia and he decided that maybe it wasn't such a good idea in the first place (he and I are from Europe). The chemistry however is still there every time they skype it's like a flood of sexual stuff, with her declaring that she really wants him back, my friend mostly ignores her though, because he knows what happens when he talks to her. Were together for a year and have been apart for several years. My best friend is always in doubt mode, I could bring them back together if I wanted but I don't know if it's a good thing for both of them.

8: another friend of mine got his girlfriend back after a few months, but i don't know anything more about that situation tbh.

And now to break our spirit a little, not succesful stories (yeaaaaay!!!):

My best friend (same guy) was together with a girl for 3 years when he was very young, they broke up he waited on her for 8 years and guess what? all for nothing, but yeah they were young so... A part of him is still waiting, the way he talks about her, he's not a big believer in destiny, but when I ask him about the girl he mostly answers in one word followed by silence: "time..."

My mother wanted to come back to my dad after the divorce, he simply refused after hateful contact for 6 months. Because she kinda took all his money, his kids and almost drove him to suicide.

A guy i knew was dumped by his girlfriend, for being too clingy. he didn't understand he sent her letters, messages and called her, she simply blocked him stating "If he had just kept his mouth shut for a month or so I would've considered being friends." He stayed depressed for 10 months and everybody avoided the poor guy until he contacted me and I helped him move on. His ex is a friend of mine and she's the best friend of my current ex girlfriend (the one who got away and the one I want back), the problem is she doesn't experience love, she doesn't know what it feels like to be in love. Leading to many heartbroken people along the way. I kinda made him hate her, and made him see that she was pure evil (I know I shouldn't have)

my first ex girlfriend wanted me back 2 years after dumping me at age 12, she sent two of her friends to get mare. So I was brought before her and she simply asked "Hey S, I know i hurt you and such but do you want to try again"

I simply told her she could go herself (childish I know but i had my reasons)

Now my current ex, we were together for 2 years and a few months, first year was really good her parents were the vonly obstacle. Second year was LDR lot's of frustration from my side and lot's of tears from her's (not because of me but because we barely saw eachother), we only had time in the weekends, but oftentimes i'd make her "cry out of happiness" so she said. Last months of the 2nd year were filled with relative happiness, didn't see her much though lot's of work (I put in effort to see her). Last few months, she got popular, is in a circle (university thing), still frustrations from my side, she promised the LDR would improve. Said university was more important than me, didn't appreciate the effort i put into it, said she put in more effort because she made time in her schedule to see me,. I got angry because i had waited a year for this and she didn't appreciate what I had done the last year, bad communication. She made up excuses not to see me, got even more angry, other best friend told me to be a man. I broke her heart in a text. I was a jerk, total jerk. She came back I felt guilty, wanted to talk about what happened she dumped me after 2 weeks of back together. She said she wants to be friends, ignores me in real life, is neutral via text and says "there's a possibility of us working out in the future, but it won't be in the near future", she says she'd been unhappy for some time but was blinded by love and didn't tell me. I really loved her, still do. And now I've been trying to figure out everything that went wrong for 2-3 months. I do want her back, but she knows this. In a month she'll explain why she was unhappy on our first get together after the break-up. She however stated that she doesn't see it working out for now, so i don't think we'll get back together any time soon. Unless that's code for something.

Anyways i hope these stories give people hope. Never give up hope, these are by far not all stories have heard of people getting back together.

But the last stories serve as a reminder that it doesn't always happen. Sometimes you have to let go and restart later, sometimes there weren't any real problems to begin with so there's nothing to solve and other times you have to find something else.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, English isn't my first language

-N3crontyr

My gf split up with me after 1 1/2 year of relationship. Last half year we began arguing more every day, because of we are both pig-headed and also I became too jealous bc she wanted to have a friendship with a guy she got involved with before our relationship. She told me she couldn't stand more, that she loved me but she was fed up of arguing with me. I begged only in that moment, the next 3 days we had LC (I wrote and she took 5 hours to answer), and the 4th I went NC, so far. She didn't wrote to me and after 2 weeks I decided to block her from WhatsApp, Twitter,... (It hurted me a lot). These months are being the hardest of my life.

This forum is a fresh air window, hopeful. I swear if we get back together one day (fingers crossed!), I will tell you how, just to carry on giving hope. It's incredible that this thread has almost 2,000 posts, 2,000 "never give up". I have the slash always open on my navigator, and when I get sad I read some stories and I promise they make me happier! Thanks to all of you.

I also have a few stories to share:

1.- My uncle and aunt broke up after 2 years dating. They didn't talk to each other whatsoever. After a time, they started to go out with common friends, and after 1 1/2 year of breaking up they worked it out. Nowadays they have been married for 12 years and have a 6 years old kid (my cousin, sure).

2.- A close friend (girl) broke up with his bf and told him she didn't love him. They kept in touch after that. She went out with other guys and her ex asked her to come back with him every 1/2 weeks, and she refused, over and over. I don't know exactly how but after 6 months of the breakup they came back.

3.- A couple of classmates at high school had been together for 2-3 years. They split up and the boy even got involved with other girl. They finally got back and are still together.

As I have seen (I want your opinion), most couples which have been together quite a lot of time (let's say 1 year, I mean, not only a couple of months to see if it works) got back together, as long as the dumper keeps feeling to his/her ex. Or even, the dumper comes back but the dumpee has moved on.

I hope every minute she calls me or texts me (SMS, e-mail), to tell me she wants to work it out. I know (or hope so) that day will arrive, but meanwhile this is my bespoke torture chamber, and I keep counting "How many seconds in eternity?".

PS.: Sorry for the 100%-sure mistakes in writing.

Heard another story today -

Guy (let's call him Mark) dated a girl (let's call her Jane) for two years, and she left him. He was devastated, tried to get her back, but nothing worked. Eventually he moved to another state and had no contact with her at all. He briefly dated a different girl, that ended, then he dated a third girl and they had a two and a half year relationship. However, he just wasn't feeling it as much...he never asked her to move in or tried to get serious even though they were together quite a long time. He never truly got over Jane. After things ended with the third girl, he eventually moved back to his home state, reconnected with Jane and they just got married!!

Oh, and the second girl he dated is now happily married. The third girl is with an amazing guy for several years now, and they will likely get engaged soon. So everyone got their happy ending.

I love that this thread is still going even after so many years. Been having a read today as needed some happy stories - and to feel that I'm not completely crazy for still having a fire in my heart for my ex boyfriend. It's 10 months since we split. We've met up plenty of times during these months, and I do have a deep running hope that our paths lead back to each other.

While waiting to find out what the future brings, I've been working on myself: going to therapy (lots of underlying issues that are mine, and only mine, but that I can now see how they surface in my relationships), enriching my life though art and volunteering, taking a BIG step into the unknown and hoping I'll succeed, as well as taking better care of my body in the new year.

So thank you to all of you who have been posting stories of reconciliations. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm back, I've got another success story. For the older people, one of my father's friends is getting married to her ex-husband after being divorced for 7 years and still remaining friends. They got back together after those 7 years and have been in a relationship for 3 years now. But now they are getting married. I guess it's a pretty convincing story that if you genuinely care and love eachother, you will find your way back eventually.

I just hope that one day my love will find her way back to me, I've made mistakes but i'm willing to change and put in effort.

-N3crontyr

Yeah, my brother also got back with his gf after they broke up after dating about 4ish years.

They got back together after a year, and now, 5 or so years later, they're going to get married.

It happens.

The thing I often fail to remember is that it not only could take 10 months to over a year, but that it also probably should take so long before getting back together. I'm very impatient. But my ex had to fight for my love and I broke her heart many times before we even got together. And now that it's the other way around, it's so strange, but we got off on a good sides. So we'll see. I know I'll see her again, managed to avoid that last few months, but we have so much in common, I don't know if it's avoidable in the next few months.

I have three reconciliation stories.

1- my work friend broke up with her bf of 2ish years because he kept cheating on her. They both got into new relationships right away that last about 6 months. They had NC until her ex started texting her. They broke up with their current SO and now live together. They did break up again but are together today for almost a year and still live together.

2-one of my close friends her high school bf of a lil over a year broke up with her because he wanted to be single. She did all the begging and they would still see each other until she finally just went NC with him. She has flings right afterwards. After 6 months she started being friends with her ex and they got back together with ease. They just recently broke up again but are working thru it.

3-my best friend and this guy dated back in high school freshman year for like 8 months. They broke up and dated other people. They just started dating again after 4 years of being broken up.

Me and my ex broke up in August and got back together in October but broke up again in november. Its been tough and we tried being friends but i jumped into a new relationship right away. I am sad and hope that one day we get back together. We were together for almost 3 years and now im trying to do NC because he said he cant get back together with me after I dated someone else so soon and that its too late. It sucks but if its mean to be then it will happen. I am hoping to give it another try in a few months. Have my fingers crossed.

Thanks for giving me hope.

I think these stories of getting back together are nice but I think the reality of the situation is that you can't just sit there and cling on to hope. If they broke up with you, why would you want to get back together with them anyway? I think mature people in a couple will work through issues and come to compromises. Why be with someone who isn't willing to do those things with you?

• 2 weeks later...

Around two months ago my bf broke up with me-we're both quite young and after two years he got cold feet and said he wasn't ready for the commitment in light of issues of long distance in the coming years etc. We've been NC for a while now so I'm not sure what the future holds, but over the past couple of months this thread has made me feel so much better. Not because I think that my bf will necessarily come back but because it gives me hope that everything will work out one way or another in the end

Anyway, as it's Valentine's Day I thought I would share some stories:

-My best friend's parents split up for six months when they were going out and then got back together-they were married for 20 years before the wife sadly passed away.

-My next door neighbours got together very young, after a couple of years split up for a while, dated other people and eventually got back together-they have been married for 30 years now with 3 children.

-My other friend's parents split up for a year when they were younger because of long distance, but when the guy came back they realised no one else compared and got back together.

-One of my friend's neighbours had been married to her husband for 60 years when he passed away suddenly late last year. She told my friend that when they were younger they had been separated for 2 years and somehow managed to find their way back together. At first the woman was unsure but she stuck with it and it turned out to be a very happy and lasting marriage!

-Someone I went to school went out with her first love for about 2 years, broke up and dated a string of other people, and then got back together with him in late 2013. They just recently announced they're expecting their first child!

-My friend's cousin dated a guy for two years, and then broke up with him as she was kind of bored with the relationship. They were separated for about two years I think, though kept bumping in to each other as they lived in the same city. One day she realised she still had feelings for this guy and reached out to him. They got back together and although there have been some bumps along the road, apparently they seem very happy and are even talking about getting married soon.

I only really realised I knew so many people who had broken up and got back together again after I started reading this thread, but it just goes to show that getting back together happens all the time! Sometimes a break up can even be beneficial for a couple long term if they take the time apart to grow and mature as individuals. If it's meant to be, it will happen