What is the difference between good looking, nice looking, and not bad looking

Super_Cat

Well my mom was describing my current bf by saying he's not bad looking at all!

I showed her another guy and she said he was nice looking, and she called my ex bf good looking..

I'm so confused.. is she simply telling me that my current bf is uglier than the guys she called nice looking and good looking

I really get confused by the meaning of these different descriptions my mom chooses to describe other people's appearance. For ex: I would get completely offended if my mom told me I'm not bad looking, and described another girl as nice looking. it's like she's saying I'm uglier than her....

don`t obsess over it.... she could just be using different ways to describe the same thing.

Why would you care whether your mom thinks your bf is more or less good looking than your ex? It only matters what YOU think. And does it even matter if your bf is a better match in other ways than your ex?

There are more important things to worry about

is there really a hierarchy? I guess it depends much more on the tone of voice than the exact words. 'not bad looking AT ALL!' could sound more like 'stunningly attractive' than 'nice looking' in a tone that could sound like 'poor lad, his genes just didn't help...'

but look, your mother won't be kissing him for as long as you, so your opinion is the one that matters most. even if he were some notredame's hunchback but you loved him and thought he was prettier than tom cruise, why bother? he makes you happy, period.

Archived