My son is exhausted.

KG

Wants to go to bed now!

14 and in great health, no fever.

Friday in bed at 11:00. Sleeps till 11:00. Soccer that night, up until 11:30.

This morning, wakes at 10, has been groggy all day. Now he puts on sweats, wants to go to bed?

Is he sick, or just worn out? Also, no appetite. Which is really strange.

Around 8th and 9th grade, I would want to sleep all the time...it's pretty normal in my opinion. On the other hand, he may have a low serotonin level, observe if he's begun to eat consistently more than usual and/or if he's easily irritable. I've had a low serotonin level for years and I have insomnia often, eat more than needed, and can be irritated easily.

Sounds like me. 10 hours sleep a night + 2-3 naps a day. I've just gotten a whole string of tests done to try to figure out what's wrong with me. There are just so many possibilities. Thyroid, hormones, vitamins, neurological, stress, depression, illness, physical exertion etc. I'm just hoping they find out what it is so I can be treated. I do not want to be given the chronic fatigue diagnosis.

Has your son been like this for a while or is just recently? If it's a recent thing, he might just be tired from school or something. If it goes on for too long, I'd be getting him to the doctor.

It happens. Even 14 year olds get worn out, sometimes. If he has school tomorrow, he may be thinking about that and wants to get rest. Thinking back to high school, I can't even imagine how I managed waking up as early as I did.

What has he eaten? Maybe low blood sugar. He could have a glass of orange juice. Or maybe he just genuinely needs some rest.

teenager's sleep cycles are different than children's or adult's. it's biological. nothing to worry about unless there are other symptoms which may indicate he's coming down with a cold or the flu. i used to always wake up at 10am, 11am, or 12pm.

Is he overweight? regardless of the answer, it sounds like your son has low metabolism.

Get him to start jogging, weightlifting, school sports. Get him to go outside and play football, baseball, or soccer with the Neighborhood kids. You have got to pursuade him to pull away from the computer or television and get active in keeping his health.

Also take a look at what he is eating. A balanced diet can do wonders.

He does soccer, track and field, BMI is 20...he eats a very balanced diet, and runs laps around the track every other day.

He's got a full blown fever going now. He's sick. Gonna do the tylenol.

That's not good. I think you should take him to see someone. It could be strep throat or the flu. My little brother had the exact same symptoms last week and it turned out to be strep.

It's the 24 hour flu. He's fine now, just the aches that come with it. keeping him home today, only day of school he's missed.

I'm guessing he got it from going bowling on Friday with friends, or playing soccer Saturday night.

Archived