What is a true friend??

Casperlady

Honestly I dont know, I thought I had true friends but in a friendship isnt it supposed to come from both sides not just one person trying to keep in contact organize things I am so sick of being used being walked on and forgotten about. You know wat I wish I had never met my so called friends sure I would probably still be a bit of a hermit lol but at least I was happy and focused and not on the road to complete meltdown

Hey! Just want to say I know exactly how you feel. I think sometimes we expect too much of our friends having an idealized impression of what a true friend should be like. Still it would be nice to have a group of friends where you look out for each other instead of one party doing all the giving and the other party just soaking it up when it suits them

There are casual friends and then there are friends that will get up in the middle of the night and come get you no matter where you are or what trouble you are in.

I am fortunate to have at least 5 of the latter in my life and possibly more. I have lived my life with the premise that friendship, true friendship is a very big part of our lives. Bf, gf, wives and husbands come and go but real friends are always with you.

I have had to in my life distance myself from people I thought would be true friends and turn them into casual friends. Do not wear yourself out trying to teach someone else how to be a good friend. It is not worth it. If they are not worthy of your true friendship then they can be casual friends which there is nothing wrong with that either.

I have given more than I have received in my life which drew my true friends to me as they searched for true friends as well. Yes I was used as you say from time to time but as I got older I was able to size them up much earlier.

Do not sacrifice your ethics, morals or self worth to keep a so called friend around.

As you go through life you will set your path and you will find others on that same path........

best wishes

Lost

Its not that i want the perfect friends thats asking a bit much all i ask is that for once they might include me rather than me having to ask are ye going out. What really annoys me is the fact I am in the middle of my end of year exams for college I have spent everyday for the last 3 weeks in my living room studying I am getting more and more stressed especially since the weather has been the nicest in well over a year and not a single one of my friends said look you need a break we are heading out tonight come with us for a while instead they invite my ex out and have completely ignored my texts and calls. When I tell one of them how the way they treat my ex over me she simply says well we have been good friends for a long time which is the greatest load of crap she has ever uttered granted they all knew each other for a few years but they knew me that long too and they have only become good friends since he started seeing me and now his feelings are held in higher regard than mine it sucks.

They certainly are inconsiderate of your feelings and emotions. These are not friends just acquaintances in your life. Young people often are selfish and care only about right now and think nothing of the future or the people they might be hurting.

Do not sit around. If you need a break go out and do something you like to do and you just might meet someone that is a good person. Be open to new people and new experiences in your life.

lost

Well I have decided enough is enough for once if they wish to be my friends they can make the effort cause I certainly have I am going out with college friends on thrusday after my exams I am going to the city to visit my sis and boyfriend and meet up with an old friend on friday and I have two 21st's on saturday night to go to and I am no longer making the effort to contact my 'friends' they may contact me!

Awfully sorry those people aren't treating you well, and glad to hear that you've got other people to hang out with.

Sounds like you're suffering some growing pains, and you're learning how valuable these people actually are to you. Whether they'll ever become valuable again is their own choice down the road--I think you're smart for allowing them to earn their place in your life rather than permitting them to assume it.

A couple ideas that helped me regarding friendships:

People, priorities and life conditions are dynamic, not constant. People cycle into and out of our lives all the time. The friends who matter most will usually cycle back in when the time and life conditions are right; the rest are just acquaintances. I've let go of trying to control where people fall on my importance scale, and sure enough--I've been able to enjoy new experiences with old friends even while I continue to form new friendships with people I value in different ways.

No adult relationship can carry all the weight of trying to be another person's 'everything' in the same way one single best friend could pull that off when we were kids. So the idea that we need to diversify and find different people to meet different needs in our lives signifies maturity.

In your corner.

5 Signs of A Strong Friendship – ...
5 Signs of A Strong Friendship – Spotting A True Friend

Archived