Heart Worms

ljoy74

So my dachshund has heart worms. He was on the preventative pills and still got them. I do live in Texas so it seems to make sense but I am sort of at a stalemate. I got an estimate for the surgery and the 1st treatment of 3 will run me about $400. I'm a college student and $400 is simply ALOT of money. I love my dog so much. I can't bare the thought of letting him die slowly to this awful disease. But at the same time, making $8 an hour working at a day care and going to school full time doesn't leave me with many options. I want him to have the treatments.

How do I pay? Does anyone know of insurance or something that would help? He's on the Optimum Wellness Plan at Banfield, the vet clinics part of Petsmart.

Advice is so welcome!

Sorry for the tought news on your baby... I can understand it is kind of hard to swallow to news especially when your baby was on HW preventitive...

Banfield's wellness plan is not going to help much with the payment. Where are you going to have the treatment/surgery done? There is something called Care Credit link removed that most veterinary practices accepts that may be the best option. There are few health insurances out there, but I think they won't cover heartworm surgery because now it is a pre-existing condition. Can you get a loan from family member etc?

I hope you can find a way to pay for the treatment. But also keep in mind of the pros and cons of the treatment. Heartworm surgery/treatment is tough...

Honestly $400 sounds about right. There is only one approved product for heartworm treatment which means the drug can set its own market. There is a required protocol that needs to be followed so that the dog is treated safely as possible.

I don't know all the details... when was your dogs last heartworm test and what not BUT if you tested him 12months ago and he was negative and now is just showing positive it is an early infection and a great time to treat. It maybe doubtful that he needs 3 treatments... 2 may suffice. Banfield has its own protocols but a noncorporate vet can follow drug label directions and not have to follow company policy.

In addition. Can you prove you successfully gave the heartworm prevention for 24months? Which means did you buy it from your vet? I don't know which type of prevention you use but product failure can occur from time to time if the product was inappropriately applied or given. You can contact the manufacturer of your product that you are using for more help.

Interesting though just missing one dose if you were faithful on the rest of them should not have resulted in infection. I would have to think that there were 2 consecutive missed doses.

**** please note that I would never rely on one test to prove an animal has heartworm disease... if a pet tests positive in my office I always send out a confirmatory test to another outside lab... false positives due occur though rarely... typically if a blood sample is hemolyzed... if only one test was run request a second test through an outside lab ****

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try to find a way to pay for the treatment but will most definitely be looking into other vets who would be willing to treat him. I used to work at a bar and I could make a few hundred dollars in one night if I really pushed it. So maybe I'll go back to that for just one weekend or 2. It pains me to think about how many hours of work it would take at my $8 an hour job to pay for just day one. I do love the heck out of my dog but the rates they charge for these things are ridiculous.

And he never missed a heart worm pill. I had the days marked in red sharpie on a calendar. The vet at Banfield sure seems to enjoy making me feel like a giant jerk about it. I'm sorry I can't control mosquitoes and that my dog loves to be outside with them in the Texas heat.

Dog Insurance | The Best Health Ins...
Dog Insurance | The Best Health Insurance for Your Dog

Archived