What to talk about outside of work?

csi226
Describe an activity that you do af...
Describe an activity that you do after school/work IELTS cue card

So, I'm 18 and work at a local movie theater. Whenever I talk with friends, girls and guys alike, it usually revolves around school, work, or a movie. My problem is when we hang out after work, I don't really know what to talk about. I feel like i'm on the outside looking in. Like recently, we went to a theme park, and I just felt awkward because I didn't know what to talk about and everyone else was striking up conversations all around me. Any ideas, on how to not talk about just school and work..? What are some good conversation starters? b/c lets face it, no one wants to talk about school/work 24/7...

Thanks

CSI226

Hey, csi. You know, sometimes it's not even WHAT you say so much as the tone or emotion you use. People can say the stupidest things, but if they're energetic and enthusiastic, or silly and playful when they're saying it, people pick up on that. And then conversations happen.

It does take practice, but I'm sure you can do it. You might spend some time just observing what other people talk about, or how they approach each other. It's probably nothing more than "Hey, what's up?" and "Isn't this theme park great? I love the (fill in the blank)."

You can also take a few minutes to think of things to say ahead of time, if you're someone who blanks out in the moment. Like if you know you're going to the theme park, think about when you were there last, what you like and don't like about it, whether you've heard any information about the rides or whatever, like how tall the tower drop is or how fast the roller coaster goes.

And yeah, like others have said, give opinions about things or ask people about their lives. Good luck!

Archived