Ice-breakers

AllissaD
5 Ice Breakers For One On One And G...
5 Ice Breakers For One On One And Group Situations

Hey everyone

Just wanted to see what people think are the best conversational 'ice-breakers' when you're in a room of people who you don't know.

I'm off to a professional networking event tonight and wanted your thoughts!

P.S. I'm NOT talking about pick-up lines...

I think humour is often a good ice-breaker. Laugher always lightens up people's spirits and gets them talking. Like pointing out something funny. But if you're in a room full of people you don't know, I'd say the best thing is the simple approach - simply asking them about themselves, finding out who they are. Then find some common ground in your interests/ where you're from/ anything and build on that.

set ups don't always work (from a party I recently attended)... I was set up to talk to a husband and wife I'd never met before and the host vanished, who was the only person who knew all of us. Oh man was that conversation painful. It stretched on for 15 minutes, all of us miserable and with little to nothing in common other than having lived in the same city for a brief period of time... which I hated and they loved...

I've brought a round of drinks to a group once at a cocktail party - water - and that worked ok.

Archived