getting in better shape with little time for exercise?

I want to get into better physical shape, as I've gotten a little soft over the last couple years. Unfortunately I maintain a very hectic schedule running 2 businesses as well as doing contract work on the side. So usually my days are very long and don't end up actually ending until around midnight. Most of that time is spent at a computer or drawing table.

How could I get myself into better shape, lose some weight when I have very little time for proper exercise?

Obviously modifying my diet is the first way to start but beyond that does anyone have any advice?

Get where you can - climb stairs, walk at lunch time, pushups/crunches here and there. It's a challenge but every little bit helps.

see, but this is the sort of stuff people should be doing anyway... even if they hate fitness.

get up half an hour earlier and go for a run...even if you have to get up at 4:30. Bike to work, even if you have to bike in heavy traffic and it takes you an hour and a half. Taking the stairs or walking should be a no-brainer.

... does anyone have any advice?

Yes, you can get rid of that avatar! I know it would make ME feel better! LOL.

All kidding aside, I think it's pretty smart of you to ask this question here. There is a big variety of folks here and you'll likely get some good suggestions. You know what they say, asking for help is always the hardest step...

I have the same problem in my schedule only mine is travel, travel, travel. Unpredictable, long hours that never seem to lead me past a healthy food choice. And I NEVER have the energy to hit the exercise room at the hotel. So, we improvise...

1. Can you find stairs in the buildings in which you work and avoid the elevators?
  2. Can you park in far-off spots and force yourself to walk farther to restaurants, stores, offices, etc.?
  3. Can you switch your diet over to whole grain and whole wheat breads (most restaurants, even fast food, now offers this option)?
  4. Can you stash an apple, a pear, an orange, some good cheese and nuts in your briefcase? With your schedule, you're going to do better squeezing in little meals more frequently than bigger meals 3 times a day.
  5. Can you avoid skipping breakfast. This is a big, big secret. Don't do it. Get that metabolism running in the morning by throwing some wood on the fire...
  6. Can you start very simply with some squats and some crunches and some push ups at night before you turn in?

I think with your schedule, you're going to have to find small, short solutions and ease into the lifestyle. Eat the elephant one bite at a time, as they say. You'll get there.

All the best.

Do you work at a desk often?

Little changes like elevating your work desk higher so that you can stand for work, getting one of those large balls to sit on for balance, or walking around with a headset when taking phonecalls can do a lot over time.

We had those bouncy balls for computer chairs at Google. We also had razor scooters to ride around the data center with (place was enormous). Unfortunately, they had so many free snacks, the extra activity didn't really matter.

diet control - chuck anything that is white. white rice, white bread. Pack your own lunch if possible that way you eat healthier. Increase protein intake. Cut white sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and fat to bare minimum.

Totally eliminating exercise won't cut it for anyone trying to get into better shape in my opinion, but I may be wrong.

Try smart exercises like jumping on a rope, Turbo Jam's 20 min exercise session.

Do some resistance exercises at least if you don't have time for aerobic exercises.

We had those bouncy balls for computer chairs at Google. We also had razor scooters to ride around the data center with (place was enormous). Unfortunately, they had so many free snacks, the extra activity didn't really matter.

Yep, don't "graze" throughout the day. It promotes hunger and feeds the habit of eating when bored. Put any food in opaque containers so you only think about them when you are actually hungry, rather than just snacking because you saw the food.

Yep, don't "graze" throughout the day. It promotes hunger and feeds the habit of eating when bored. Put any food in opaque containers so you only think about them when you are actually hungry, rather than just snacking because you saw the food.

This is why I think I'd like a warehouse job, moving heavy things all day long. Or construction would be nice, but that's so hard to get into if you have no experience. The modern desk jobs I think can be terrible for health, although most of the time, they're the ones that pay well.

This is why I think I'd like a warehouse job, moving heavy things all day long. Or construction would be nice, but that's so hard to get into if you have no experience. The modern desk jobs I think can be terrible for health, although most of the time, they're the ones that pay well.

Construction is pretty bad.

My step dad works that and he comes home with fresh cuts and burns daily. He's had 6 sets of stiches on his hands and broke his pinky and his foot once.

Also, the sunburn and extreme strain on the body some of the days.

I think one of the healthier jobs would be an assistant, someone who had to run errands all day.

Archived