Pomeranian of Terror

IphigeniaSaysHi

In June my boyfriend and I bought a few month old Pomeranian from a pet store. (Ugh, I know... I had been trying to adopt a pom but she was sold before I could visit. It was an impulsive decision to go to the pet store.)

He has always been very independent, and not one to come when you call him. He will often just stare at you when you call him over.

He also will destroy anything you set in front of him. Toys, clothes, cords, etc.

On top of that he has recently become extremely aggressive to dogs and people, barking crazily, and nonstop.

We are at such a loss. He is a year old and we cannot leave him alone! He has to constantly be monitored unless he is in our bedroom which has been completely gutted of objects for his safety and ours.

My parents hate him and want me to sell him but I cannot do that!!!! We made the choice to buy him, and despite how much we try to train him and fail- we can't just shove him off to someone else.

But honestly, this dog is awful. He is not loving at all, and it's hard to keep trying when he doesn't give anything back. (strange as that sounds).

We walk him a few times a week, take him to the dog mall, and pay him plenty of attention. We try to assert dominance by not letting him on the couches or holding him all the time but he is still so demanding.

HELP!!!!!!

I know there are a lot of smart pet people on this site. Any suggestions?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is he fixed or intact?

He is fixed. We got that done at 6 months old. I thought it would help a bit. No. It was funny because they told us we could pick him up that night and they called us in the afternoon, shortly after his surgery and said "You can pick him up! He has fought through his anesthesia rather quickly and is staring at us..."

LOL

He's nuts!

This could be that he needs more intensive training, or it could be an inbreeding problem where his temperament is just not fixable.

I'd try to get an evaluation from a professional dog trainer to see whether it is just training or a temperament disorder related to inbreeding... a vet might be able to help you too.

If it is inbreeding he can become extremely aggressive and even attack you as he fully becomes an adult... it happens in some breeds more than others and i don't know if Pomeranian is one of those, but a professional evaluation might be in order becuase it is not safe to live with an animal who has a rage disorder.

Poms are not my favorite breed in the least for this exact reason. I've never met a well-behaved one!!

Do you watch "it's me or the dog" on animal planet? It was on my client's tv the other day when I was there, & I learned more in 10 mins about dogs than I'd ever known before. I highly recommend that show b/c she deals w/ this sort of thing often!!

(And tsk tsk on the pet store thing, ISH!! )

This could be that he needs more intensive training, or it could be an inbreeding problem where his temperament is just not fixable.

I'd try to get an evaluation from a professional dog trainer to see whether it is just training or a temperament disorder related to inbreeding... a vet might be able to help you too.

If it is inbreeding he can become extremely aggressive and even attack you as he fully becomes an adult... it happens in some breeds more than others and i don't know if Pomeranian is one of those, but a professional evaluation might be in order becuase it is not safe to live with an animal who has a rage disorder.

OMG I hope not.

Inbreeding is extremely common in pet store dogs, as a result of them being locked up w/ their family members & being forced to breed at puppy mills (yet another reason why puppy mills are awful!). You may need to get him evaluated by a vet & trainer to rule this out.

Poms are not my favorite breed in the least for this exact reason. I've never met a well-behaved one!!

Do you watch "it's me or the dog" on animal planet? It was on my client's tv the other day when I was there, & I learned more in 10 mins about dogs than I'd ever known before. I highly recommend that show b/c she deals w/ this sort of thing often!!

(And tsk tsk on the pet store thing, ISH!! )

I KNOW! I'm sorry

I am so against it, but my bf kept torturing me taking me there. I wanted a pom so bad. Dumb dumb.

We watch the Dog Wisperer and It's Me or the Dog alllll the time. We try all of those tricks but they don't make a dent.

I think we aren't consistent enough, but the bf and I often disagree on the right technique.

For instance: I read that ignoring a dog's incessant barking and remaining relaxed and detatched through the episode will help stop the excess barking.

Welllll... the bf insists on whistling, snapping, and screaming at Dexter when he barks..

I don't think that helps! It makes him more anxious!

Consistency is key. That's why it's not working. B/c dexter knows he'll get attention if he barks, & he does (your boyfriend whistles or something). Leeluu does that--she whines & whines & I can't stand it & tell her to stop but she does it for attention, & I surely give it to her by telling her to stop. It reinforces that whine=my voice=attention. I never knew that till a few months ago, but I've pretty much given up on it...

He has always been very independent, and not one to come when you call him. He will often just stare at you when you call him over.

On top of that he has recently become extremely aggressive to dogs and people, barking crazily, and nonstop.

But honestly, this dog is awful. He is not loving at all, and it's hard to keep trying when he doesn't give anything back. (strange as that sounds).

We walk him a few times a week, take him to the dog mall, and pay him plenty of attention. We try to assert dominance by not letting him on the couches or holding him all the time but he is still so demanding.

HELP!!!!!!

I know there are a lot of smart pet people on this site. Any suggestions?

The first 2 bolded points are due to him being YOUR (and other dogs) pack leader. He is the boss of you and you should come when YOU are called and certainly not the other way around. He thinks he is the top dog when around other dogs and is trying to get them to cooperate by asstering his "dominance" (aka barking) over them.

The third bolded point: he is a dog, he is not an equal, he is not a human he "owes" you nothing. He is not supposed to "love" you, he is supposed to "respect" you as pack leader- nothing more nothing less. He is a dog, not your "baby" or your "poochie, poochie, poo". Let him be a dog.

Forth bolded point: a "few times" a week isn't enough, high energy dogs need AT LEAST once a day. And if you take him to the dog park (not sure what a "dog mall" is) this should be done AFTER the walk, and not instead of a walk. The dog should have ALL engery released BEFORE the dog park and not use the dog park TO release engery. When you're walking him he should NOT be ahead of you. If he is, this is what doggie is thinking: "come on human, follow me, I'll take you there". That is doggie being YOUR pack leader. You need to lead YOUR pack, I don't care how cute he is or how small he is a dog walking in front of you means that the dog owns you and not the other way around.

Also, asserting dominance goes much, much further than not letting him on the couch. You must portray "calm assertive energy." That means once you enter the room you do not touch, or make eye contact. You much ignore the dog completely, the dog is not a priority, he is a member of the pack and shall get no special treatment. Once he has started to calm down and ignore you, then you can give him attention. Do NOT let the dog jump on you. If he is jumping up on you, he is claiming you as "his" and again he is YOUR pack leader. He is stiting on you as conquest. "Look guys, look at this pretty human that I own". That is what that position means. The ONLY acceptable time she should be on you is when you invite him over, but this has to be under YOUR terms not him whining or acting cute. You allow him this privledge to sit on you as HIS pack leader.

Also another important point is "redirection". When you know something is going to get him worked up you must intervene BEFORE he gets to his "red, freak out zone". Redirect his attention to food, a fun toy, or anything that will take his attention away from the negative thing (another dog).

I hope some of this makes sense.

Many people choose dogs for looks rather than personality, and Poms are notorious for being little monsters unless you train them with a really firm hand. Very cute, but little tyrants.

I'd first get the dog evaluated by a trainer, and then you're going to have to really crack down and enforce training and working with the dog every single day to get it back under control again (assuming it is not a puppy mill inbreeding problem).

Many people choose dogs for looks rather than personality, and Poms are notorious for being little monsters unless you train them with a really firm hand. Very cute, but little tyrants.

I'd first get the dog evaluated by a trainer, and then you're going to have to really crack down and enforce training and working with the dog every single day to get it back under control again (assuming it is not a puppy mill inbreeding problem).

Right.. small dog complex!

I really don't want to come accross as some idiotic ditz who carries my dog in a bright pink Juicy bag and giant sunglasses...

I think my bf and I should take him to some classes and make a firm list of what we're going to do with him so we're consistent.

Maybe when someone else tells my bf what we should do, he'll listen. haha

I don't think girl68 was being rude at all. She brings up some extrmely valid points & it seems like she's speaking in generalities in terms of cuddling & babying him.

Victoria on it's me or the dog says to establish dominance by pretending to eat a few pieces of the dog's food before setting the bowl down for him (while holding the bowl standing over him) b/c the pack leader always eats first. I actually saw that method on the episode w/ a rude, mean Pom.

I don't think girl68 was being rude at all. She brings up some extrmely valid points & it seems like she's speaking in generalities in terms of cuddling & babying him.

Victoria on it's me or the dog says to establish dominance by pretending to eat a few pieces of the dog's food before setting the bowl down for him (while holding the bowl standing over him) b/c the pack leader always eats first. I actually saw that method on the episode w/ a rude, mean Pom.

Dexter isn't as dominating as some of the dogs on those shows, but he seems to be getting more barky when people walk by. He never barks to get food or toys or anything, luckily.

We try to socialize him at the "dog mall" or "dog friendly mall" since there are no dog parks nearby. There are tons of dogs and he had always been good but recenly started barking at them...

We will turn around and walk the other way until he calms down. I have seen that done by Victoria.

We also NEVER give him treats (unless we are training him to do something). He will sit and lay down on command without a treat. He runs to the door and sits so we can put the leash on him when he has to potty.

So there are good things... he does listen in some venues, but the chewing, barking, and defiance is the issue we have to fix.

Why the rudeness? I am not an idiot by any means.

Never said I wanted him to be my baby... but most pets bring you at least a little joy.

I had already addressed some of your points, as I realize it is easy for a small dog to take over.

He don't cuddle him, dress him, or let him run our lives.. he is just a tough cookie, imo. He was dominant from day one and it's been extremely hard to reverse that.

Uh, didn't think I was being rude. I was trying to bring up valid points. Have you ever watched dog whisperer? He is brilliant and can do wonders with every single dog he's ever met.

Please feel free to disregard everything I've said but everything I've said is everything that I've seen him perform magic with.

Stubborness can be stopped with consistency! Just gotta stick with it.

I honestly have no clue if I am the alpha in my relationship wtih Leeluu. I greet her the second I get home by saying "Hey Pretty!" and if she doesn't get off the couch, I tell her to come greet me and then I kiss her or hug her. However, she doesn't have and never has had any food or toy aggression except with other dogs, which she will try to establish dominance over. She comes when I call her (I don't leash her outside) and stays with me when I tell her to. I think I just got lucky with her, as I was never consistent and was very naive when I first got her and just let her do whatever.

Sounds like you got a bad seed. The person who posted about calm assertive dominace as pack leader I think was on point. Dogs are loving but they only understand a chain of command. Someone has to be on top. If they don't see you as the top dog then the dog's psyche tells him that he is the leader by default. They don't have a grey area. Just one leader, you or him. In the dog's mind whomever asserts the dominance is the leader. It sounds like asserting dominace with this dog will be a lot of work. You've got to be fit to the task in order to be in charge.

Sounds like you got a bad seed. The person who posted about calm assertive dominace as pack leader I think was on point. Dogs are loving but they only understand a chain of command. Someone has to be on top. If they don't see you as the top dog then the dog's psyche tells him that he is the leader by default. They don't have a grey area. Just one leader, you or him. In the dog's mind whomever asserts the dominance is the leader. It sounds like asserting dominace with this dog will be a lot of work. You've got to be fit to the task in order to be in charge.

Exactly right, I totally know that. It's kind of the basis of my question. No matter how much we assert ourselves as the leader by keeping him "a dog" (off furniture, no pampering, no treats, making sure he does not exit or enter the doorway first, making sure he walks alongside or behind us during a walk) he still seems to think he is king.

Like I said, we watch those those shows and I take the advice to heart. I don't understand him. lol

Archived