Early Retirement: Why don't more people aim for this?

My whole point is that people shouldn't complain about their circumstances when most of the time it is what their choices that led to the circumstances. Again, let me reiterate: Have your fancy suit and fancy car, but then dont' come crying when you lose your job and have no savings. That would be like me crying that my lifestyle is crimped when I'm the one who made the choice(s) to live the way I live. That's it in a nutshell.

People can complain about what they want.

And complaining about complaining sort of ruins the point, doesn't it?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My whole point is that people shouldn't complain about their circumstances when most of the time it is what their choices that led to the circumstances. Again, let me reiterate: Have your fancy suit and fancy car, but then dont' come crying when you lose your job and have no savings. That would be like me crying that my lifestyle is crimped when I'm the one who made the choice(s) to live the way I live. That's it in a nutshell.

who is complaining?

Here is what bothers me about this thread and people's responses:

It's the irony that some things that are good (financial discipline, retiring early to make contributions to society, etc) are being knocked and sneered at when they should be appluaded which a few people did. I'm not saying I should be applaued, but those types of actions should be. I think that is not an unreasonable stance.

I don't know, I should not have been surprised since most here are in North America and don't share the same financial and life values I and others like me share.

Here is what bothers me about this thread and people's responses:

It's the irony that some things that are good (financial discipline, retiring early to make contributions to society, etc) are being knocked and sneered at when they should be appluaded which a few people did. I'm not saying I should be applaued, but those types of actions should be. I think that is not an unreasonable stance.

I don't know, I should not have been surprised since most here are in North America and don't share the same financial and life values I and others like me share.

So, you just wanted an "atta-girl"?

I'm confused as to the purpose of this thread.

Others have stated that they don't have the same values and you respond by being quite snippy throughout the whole thread.

You are set in your ways and they make you happy. Good for you?

Uh! Can I complain about gold-diggers? How about those that feel entitled to my money? I want to hear your song and dance when 45% of every dollar you earn directly goes to the government... Not to forget the other forms of taxes with renewal fees, sales tax, fuel tax, property tax, franchise tax, etc...

Yes, that is their choice, but then don't compain about your bills and how you don't have any money when you got laid off (not you, but people in general) . That would be like me complainnig about how my condo is too small or complaining about how my car is not luxurious!

Why are you complaining that some people are complaining?

People are free to do whatever they want. I don't know what circles you hang in but i can't say i hear people walk around complaining all the time about this stuff. We talk about the economy in general, and sure a lot of that is a complaint since times are tough, but it is just conversation. That's all.

And many people Strawberry get laid off without any savings becauase the job they had barely paid the bills even w/out extravagance.

Oh, come now, if people stopped complaining most conversation would simply not happen.

If you prevent them from complaining about finances, they'll find PLENTY of other things to complain about...in fact, they already do.

See, I've been doing this whole "create my own reality" "think positively" stuff for 15+ years now, so I am *howlingly* aware of how often people complain....and it really does make up the bulk of most of the interactions people try to have with me and/or that I overhear.

They complain about the weather, the food, the service, the selection, their vehicle, the lighting, the decor, the team, the officiating, the dog, the cat, their supervisor, their family, their spouse, their kids...and on and on. And most of the time, they don't do ANYTHING to change what they're complaining about -- even if it's just changing their attitude.

And God forbid if you try to point out a positive or two about their situation or suggest what they need to do is change the way they look at it...for attempting to help them, you're likely to get your head bitten off.

Misery loves company and there's a freakin' party going on in the world every day.

Me, I've learned to insulate myself as much as possible and have become rather adept at changing the topic when someone wants to point out what's wrong.....

No, I'm not gloating, don't know where you go that.

Why do you bring up such an exceptional situation? Most people who can't retire early can't because of their own lack of self-discipline and becasue of their choices, not because of a ton of medical debt.

Not an exceptional situation. It happened to me in my late 20s and early 30s. Medical debt from my mother combined with several rapid job losses in a row from a downturn in the economy and my savings were gone. And I made a good living and was responsible. It happens a whole lot more often than you might think - I know several cases where medical debt has devastated entire families.

So, you just wanted an "atta-girl"?

I'm confused as to the purpose of this thread.

Others have stated that they don't have the same values and you respond by being quite snippy throughout the whole thread.

You are set in your ways and they make you happy. Good for you?

Why do you think I wanted a slap on the back? I even said I didn't, damn. I'm only being snippy b/c of what people said which I felt was like putting down my values and insinuating I and others like me are all cheapskates and mserable people when the truth is often 180 degrees from that, that's it.

I see people complaing a lot about finances on this forum and other forums and a little in real life when I know they've spend a lot on luxury items.

medical debt definitely slapped some sense into me. america's health care costs suck if you dont have insurance.

now i have insurance and alot of money.. and whatever i want.. and to top it off i havent been in debt since.

but at the same time i'm not going to purge my life of everything i find pleasurable just so i could maybe retire at an ungodly young age.. because the truth is i could die tomorrow. and life is worth living in the present.

Why is it that people don't make early retirement, say at age 45 or 50, a serious goal? Why are people resigned to working until they are 65? Is the rat race that compelling? Or at the very least, why don't people save enough for the future so that working is something they WANT to do, not something they HAVE to do?

Is it lack of planning? Lack of discipline (eg, can't resist blowing money on material items?)? They can't see another way to life?

What do you think?

Funny you mention this. I seriously thought only athletes retire so earyl.

I was day dreaming the other day and calculating what it would take to retire by 30. then I got a week off and actually... err... it's not as fun.

Kind of boring. So I think I wouldn't mind retiring early and then being a freelancer on my own. That way if I had tons of money saved it wouldn't matter if one month brought less income then the other.

To answer your question, I think basically life gets in the way. You work 15 yrs. Lets say you earn $3000 a month? 15 x 12 mnths x 3000 = 540.000

You want to buy a house? Buy a car? Eat. Go on vacations. Raise kids and put them thry school? It all adds up. And you also need money to live off of from age 40-70. It just doesn't work.

Now if you earn $5000 or more maybe it's posible IMO.

I'm still gonna do my best to work and retire early. Let's see if it works out. I think overall things just don't always go as planned.

Why do you think I wanted a slap on the back? I even said I didn't, damn. I'm only being snippy b/c of what people said which I felt was like putting down my values and insinuating I and others like me are all cheapskates and mserable people when the truth is often 180 degrees from that, that's it.

I see people complaing a lot about finances on this forum and other forums and a little in real life when I know they've spend a lot on luxury items.

No, you don't know that about people on this forum. You don't know them.

And, I assume that you are unhappy. Because, I see no point in a content person complaining. Especially about others.

No, you don't know that about people on this forum. You don't know them.

And, I assume that you are unhappy. Because, I see no point in a content person complaining. Especially about others.

Um, I am happy. Well nobody is 100% content and one of the things that makes it less than 100% is what is discussed in this thread. If we were all 100% content with life, nothing would get done for it is discontent and anger that drives good change.

And for the people in real life, yes, I KNOW b/c I've seen them with their fancy car or fancy watch.

Also, people spend on "luxury" items (you mean cars? those are necessities depending where you live- what's a luxury item nowdays?). I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't see anything wrong with living "The good life" and treating one self or others ocassionally. What's wrong with a fancy watch?

Not all people do it though. Some people just REALLY have it financially hard. Mostly due to more mouths to feed. Or bad choices in the past when they didn't know better.

To answer your question, I think basically life gets in the way. You work 15 yrs. Lets say you earn $3000 a month? 15 x 12 mnths x 3000 = 540.000

You want to buy a house? Buy a car? Eat. Go on vacations. Raise kids and put them thry school? It all adds up. And you also need money to live off of from age 40-70. It just doesn't work.

Now if you earn $5000 or more maybe it's posible IMO.

I'm still gonna do my best to work and retire early. Let's see if it works out. I think overall things just don't always go as planned.

Just do the best you can and save as much as you can without it being a draiin on how you want to live your life. Even if you can't retire early, it's better to know that you can live off your saviings for X years vs someone else who can only live off savings for 1 month. It's like a load off your back, financial security. Good luck and good thinking for someone so young!

I think most peoples problems with this thread is your problem with the responses to it.

you are basically insulting those who you dont think follow your idea of a 'good' lifestyle.

I agree with this too.

Uh! Can I complain about gold-diggers? How about those that feel entitled to my money? I want to hear your song and dance when 45% of every dollar you earn directly goes to the government... Not to forget the other forms of taxes with renewal fees, sales tax, fuel tax, property tax, franchise tax, etc...

Oh, God...don't get me started on that. I am 6 months into running my own freelance voiceover business and am learning soooo much about taxes I could probably look into a career as a CPA at this point.

You know, arrogance has a price. I really don't understand your attitude projected here.

Many people make the best plans on earth, and life interferes.

For example, you marry, and you think you marry well, but your spouse leaves you and you have to split up assets and pay child support.

Or a medical catastrophe happens that even with health insurance, you are drained and devastated by the impact. You have a baby prematurely and it doesn't cover all costs, or you have a disabled child or spouse that requires additional care and expenses.

Or you buy a house, and the market crashes and you are so upside down you'd lose tons of money to try to leave.

Or you have an accident and someone sues you for everything you own and then some.

Or you lose your job and your industry is offshored.

Or ???

You can make good plans, but life interferes.

I fear for your arrogance, because arrogant people usually miss out on important realities due to their arrogance over assurance. Hubris can make you as vulnerable as innocence in many ways. You think you've got it all under control, but you're just as likely riding for a fall as anyone else is, or more so if you make bad decisions because you think you are smarter than everyone else.

You know, arrogance has a price. I really don't understand your attitude projected here.

You can make good plans, but life interferes. I fear for your arrogance, but arrogant people usually miss out on important things and like, and hubris can make you as vulnerable as innocence in many ways.

Still don't see how I'm arrogant. I'm just saying people should be more responsible, I mean, c'mon, isn't that what this site is all about, people making better choices in life?

Also, good plans, life inteferes. Yes, but a lot of people don't even make plans and just let life happen to them. It's better to make and execute plans than the reverse.

Still don't see how I'm arrogant. I'm just saying people should be more responsible, I mean, c'mon, isn't that what this site is all about, people making better choices in life?

Also, good plans, life inteferes. Yes, but a lot of people don't even make plans and just let life happen to them. It's better to make and execute plans than the reverse.

There's a huge difference between unsolicited active advice and solicited passive advice.

This tread seems more of your passive aggressive reaction towards ENA members due to a negative personal relationship with a prejudged person in your life.

....SO??????

I would rather see someone planning poorly for their financial future than stabbing children or something.

This site is definitely not about judging people.

All this thread is saying is "I have the right ideas on finances and I'm SO annoyed with people who disagree."

Sensible financial planning is (in my opinion) a conundrum. How can you plan for retirement in a financialy chaotic world. I know people that had their retirement funds competely wiped out. It's a crap shoot either way. When I was a kid I had a savings account, who knew that years and years later if I had put my money in that savings account rather than 401K plans and real estate I would have more money than I do now.

Archived