Lately, I've noticed that I am always tired. I used to be able to only sleep about 4-5 hours a night and still be fine the next day and not feel exhausted. Only recently, I've noticed that I can't stay up late any more and when I do, I am literally exhausted the next day where I end up getting up late, and/or taking an afternoon nap, OR going to bed really early.

Can this have anything to do with my age and/or my weight? I am in my mid thirties and am a bit overweight (not a lot). I don't exercise a lot, but I've always been like this so I'm not sure if this is affecting me.

I have been diagnosed (many years ago) with sleep apnea but it didn't seem to affect me in the past, only recently.

I play WoW on some nights. Those nights (if they are a weeknight), I stay up till around 11 PM. On a Friday or weekend night, I'll stay up to 1 or 2 AM, and I'm wiped out the next day (where I have to go to sleep early).

For example this weekend, I stayed up late (midnight and later on Friday night) to play WoW. I had to get up early Sat but didn't. I was also wiped out on Sat night where I just went to bed around 10 PM, even though I wanted to stay up to do things. I slept about 8 hours and on Sunday I was still wiped out after practice. I had trouble staying up till 11 PM last night (I was hanging out with my friends), and this morning got up late.

This drives me nuts because I want to stay up and be able to do things with these people, esp on the weekend, and not have it affect me during the day.

I do drink heavy doses of coffee on the nights I want to stay up, but sometimes it doesn't work. Stuff like Red Bull and other energy drinks like that, make me sick, so I don't drink that.

I recently had a checkup and things look fine in terms of blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. I do have asthma and take meds for it.

This could be an age or weight related thing, right?

I can tell you that becoming more physically active can improve your condition. At your age its not enough to "just be" anymore and have all the energy in the world. You have to make changes to your routine to try to maintain that energy you once had and exercise and staying in good physical shape is the fundamental one. Also certain foods will make you slouchy so try to change up your diet. If that doesnt work go see a doctor

I do exercise, about twice a week when I do fencing. I do get a pretty good workout for about a hour doing that.

I probably need to exercise on a daily basis.

I'm trying to lose weight to see if that could be the issue too.

For those of you in your thirties, do you find it hard to stay up really late and not have it affect you the next day?

For those of you in your thirties, do you find it hard to stay up really late and not have it affect you the next day?

Yes. I'm a few years younger than you, and I definitely cannot keep up the same schedule I did when I was in my mid-20's. It kinda sucks sometimes as my bf is that age and he doesn't seem to really grasp why I need my sleep and I need to be on a certain schedule.

I don't feel any less healthy but I've had to pay more attention to rest and stress relief as I've gotten older, and make that a priority. I have to get at least 6 hours of sleep to feel functional, 7-8 is about right without feeling groggy the next day. I also find I can't sleep in on weekends any more and feel ready to go on Monday mornings--I need to be out of bed by 9:30 or 10 at the latest on Sat. and Sun. while my bf likes to roll around until noon. Occasionally I'll do that but come Monday I'm wrecked...

The time change has kicked my butt this year as well worse than any other year.

MissIndigo, I hear you. The time change has also affected me a lot. I have trouble getting up on time for work and usually am running late to the point I don't have time to make coffee.

I guess my sleep pattern has changed in the last few years. Just 3-4 years ago, just before I moved out here, I was busy with work and coming out here every other weekend to take care of things (and that also entailed a 2 hour time change every time). I was able to deal with it and be functional.

It's just hard right now because most of my friends are WAY younger than me and have SOOO much energy. Even the guy who is around my age (a few years younger), he stays up late and seems to do fine.

Like you, I also have a hard time sleeping in. Even if I stay up late (like 3 or 4 AM) to play WoW, I still can't sleep past 9 AM. Ugh!

exhaustion is exhaustion.

on my trip to charleston me and my SO drank 2 energy drinks each and made it to a hotel at midnight wide awake. we got 7 hours of sleep and went to the beach. on our way back home we ended up slamming 3 drinks each one after the other and he took yellow jackets. In 15 minutes we pulled over to the nearest rest stop because i was about to fall asleep at the wheel and he was dozing off.

Its really best to stay away from coffee and energy drinks anyway, for one they are bad for you, and for two they make you 'crash'

in a word, counterproductive. in the long run.

32 Tired Quotes
32 Tired Quotes

Archived