do we marry partners who are like our parents?

yumicecream
Our fathers are brothers and our mo...
Our fathers are brothers and our mothers are sisters, our relationship? | Michael's Hut

I wind up dating people like my father even though I hate my father (and vice versa). Trying to consciously break that pattern but it's remarkably hard to do. I have noticed I inherited many of my mother's bad personality traits, but those I have been able to work on breaking much more successfully.

If you wait until you are a bit older, you do tend to marry someone like one of your parents. I hated my father, but I have been with a man very much like him for close to ten years. My father was an auto mechanice, my bf used to be one. My dad raced cars, my bf did also. My dad was 6'1" adn weighed 230 lbs, my bf is that height and weight. My dad had medium brown hair, ditto for my bf. My dad was highly intelligent and funny, so is my bf. The only difference, my father was an alcoholic, my bf does not drink, not even socially. He has all my dad's good parts, with none of the bad.

I have heard people say things like this, but I think it is difficult to generalize. Whether or not being told you are like someones mother is good or bad, depends on the mother. Although, as guy this would not be something I say in any event to women I had romantic intentions towards.

In my personal case, it is a bit of the opposite. My gf possesses none of the bad traits from either of my parents.

Archived